Long Range Bullets for Semi-Auto 308 Winchester Rifles

375rifleman

Hello I was just wondering which bullet would be best for semi-auto M1A, FAL, Saiga 308, or Zastava M77 rifles shooting at longer ranges ? I noticed that Sierra has bullets (Matchking) with exceptional BC numbers even at lower velocities although heavier than what it's generally used and there might be issues with 'fitting' into the magazine and then there are the Barnes solid copper bullets with great weight retention ? Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, and answers.

Varget powder pushing 175 Sierra Match king if you want to shoot from a magazine.

Yeah, the OAL may be an issue.
There is no "Best", you have to find what each like/can be made to work.
SMK or Berger. I'm sure that someone somewhere likes Barnes for longrange targets, I just haven't met them:D:D

How about a Nosler accubond 165 or a nosler ballistic tip 165 or 168.

My son and I shoot the 165 BT out of 20" ar platforms and do well with them.

We can get good velocity and stay within mag length.

We can get good accuracy out to 1000 yds+ but our velocity for expansion is only 450 yds,

We are shooting at ~6000 ft.

Depends on your Twist rate

If your using a gas operated M14 style suggest a good med burning powder

IMR 4895 and IMR 4064 are 2 long term favorites in the 308 Win.

168 Sierra MK should serve you well.

Suggested loads for 1:10 twist Gas Gun.

44gr of IMR 4064 with 168 MK
43gr of IMR 4064 with 180 MK
Fed 210 Match Primer
WW case

If you have a 1:11 or higher twist rate the 147/150/155 gr bullets would be best.

The barrel twist for those rifles are probably 1-11" to 1-12", that can be a limitation factor. Usually the military battle rifles are like this because ball ammo is in 150 grain range as far as projectiles are concerned.
If it were primarily for targets then I would also consider the 155 grain Sierra Palma Match that has a claimed BC higher than the 168 Matchking and equal to the 175 grainers.

Hello I was just wondering which bullet would be best for semi-auto M1A, FAL, Saiga 308, or Zastava M77 rifles shooting at longer ranges ? I noticed that Sierra has bullets (Matchking) with exceptional BC numbers even at lower velocities although heavier than what it's generally used and there might be issues with 'fitting' into the magazine and then there are the Barnes solid copper bullets with great weight retention ? Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, and answers.
375rifleman,
Our 168 and 185 grain CLASSIC HUNTERS are a natural for the .308 AR rifles. DONT use the VLD or target hybrid bullets. They are to long. Other suggestion would be the .30 cal 175 OTM bullet. The CLASSIC HUNTER bullets are a hybrid design that incorporate both the secant(VLD) and tangent( standard) ogives in a SAMMI length nose dimension which makes them very tolerant of jump and able to be used at standard magazine length. In most cases all you have to find is the velocity accuracy node. These bullets leave nothing on the table as far as accuracy,range and performance on game to the VLD.

for M1a specific reloading, I can highly suggest to spend some time on this site
Ammunition - M14 Forum

proper powder burn rate and bullet weight range are key reliability (and safety) factors in most semi-autos.

I settled on 168 SMK set @ 2.80 OAL, 41gn H4895, LCLR Brass, WLR primers

375rifleman,
The Berger CLASSIC HUNTERs should work well in your M1A also. If your other rifles have a 1-12 barrel twist or faster ( 1-11,1-10 etc) there should be no problem using them in those either.
168 Classic Hunter - G1 BC = .489 , G7 BC = .251
185 Classic Hunter - G1 BC= .533 , G7 BC = .273

Hello thanks for all the input you've all provided for me, I plan to use this rifle for everything up to and including elk, moose, and possibly even Brown/Kodiak/Grizzly Bears in self defense just because they might be in the area. The rifle is going to be a modified Zastava M77 (AR STOCK, M1A Magazine, Aftermarket Trigger).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.