Long range bullets for grizzly

I'll be the first to admit I've never been to Alaska, but boy do I want to go now. I cant wrap my head around a 2000lb black bear, so I'm not even gonna try with the 4k lb grizzly. It was entertaining though.

ha, ha, heh, heh. yeah i would laugh too, as it is really too much to take in.
the video of the bear attack in glacier national park is very well known here in montana and is available for the public. look it up. will try to get the link if it is on the net and post it.
read the article again as you guys seem to misquote some of it and i dont blame you. thought this might be the reaction i got as it was for years when i came back and told people about it when it happened.
will post tomorrow a reference/person to contact from seward who will verify that a 12 foot black bear of approxiamately 1600 pounds was terminated in seward about 1994. reference is long term seward native, army, nuclear retired.
also will post same concerning the 16-18 footer and 16 foot bear hide that he has. he is also retired from AK fish and game.
laugh now, your dreams will change. mine did.

more ha ha's. yeah, i reread my post and found a couple of typos. the 8 foot sow traveled a distance in 13 seconds. i didnt have a range finder and we were moving in a vehicle. even at 400 yards that would have made her moving about 65 mph. the caribou were moving as a flock of birds do in unison as evading a predator as they were. they travel about 40-45 at an all out sprint and she did make them seem as they were standing still. irregardless of my typo and or overestimation, i know that when she stopped at about 100 yards away (she killed one there) that i was only about 30 feet out of the vehicle and i felt that that was too far as i would have had hardly anytime to make the door of the van in time. this was witnessed by my wife and 3 kids. the oldest remembers it like it was yesterday. he is a helicopter pilot in the army national guard in AK today and can verify this story. sorry about the numbers.

Cheetah's are the fastest land mammal I'm aware of and their top speed is around 65 mph. Bear's are quick, but I'm quite certain the only way a bear is gonna move 65 mph is in free fall off the face of a cliff.

If there was ever a boar brown bear the size you've described, he'd have long outlived his usefulness in the gene pool, because he'd kill any sow during the mating action.

Would love to see some pictures of the brown bear hide that squared 16 feet. Or 18 feet. There has to be somebody that was impressed enough to snap a photograph. If nothing else, a taxidermist somewhere, somehow, has got to have a photo.

You've just described - at minimum - six bears that would have made world wide news, if their sizes had been documented in any way. They'd certainly have made the front cover of Alaska Magazine. I've never heard of anything of the kind, let alone seen any photos. I've never heard even one rumor of a bear as big as six of the bears you've referenced. Been in Seward in the summer of 1976 and on the Kenai Peninsula for the past 33 years. I've heard a lot of bear stories over the years, from all parts of the State, but yours are the mother of all bear tales - 6 times over.

I"ll give you this... your stories of the big Alaskan brown and black bears will certainly make for some good campfire conversation, if anyone will risk repeating them.

ha, ha, heh, heh. yeah i would laugh too, as it will post tomorrow a reference/person to contact from seward who will verify that a 12 foot black bear of approxiamately 1600 pounds was terminated in seward about 1994. reference is long term seward native, army, nuclear retired.
also will post same concerning the 16-18 footer and 16 foot bear hide that he has. he is also retired from AK fish and game.

I suppose turning a 1600lb black bear into 2000lb black bear is only a 25% over exageration, but I can't find a record of a black bear over 1000lbs. I'm not going to bother a "long term seward native, army, nuclear retired, retired AK fish and game," but I would like to see a picture.

Hi Rich,
Can I revise the specifications on those custom bullets? I live up here and just messed my britches... I need BIG bullets! :D :D

ROFLMAO-smiley.gif

Sorry! I only make bullets for shoulder mounted weapons:D

more ha ha's. yeah, i reread my post and found a couple of typos. the 8 foot sow traveled a distance in 13 seconds. i didnt have a range finder and we were moving in a vehicle. even at 400 yards that would have made her moving about 65 mph. the caribou were moving as a flock of birds do in unison as evading a predator as they were. they travel about 40-45 at an all out sprint and she did make them seem as they were standing still. irregardless of my typo and or overestimation, i know that when she stopped at about 100 yards away (she killed one there) that i was only about 30 feet out of the vehicle and i felt that that was too far as i would have had hardly anytime to make the door of the van in time. this was witnessed by my wife and 3 kids. the oldest remembers it like it was yesterday. he is a helicopter pilot in the army national guard in AK today and can verify this story. sorry about the numbers.

600 yards in 13 seconds is still around 94 mph. Imagine what she could do without the boulders! Maybe it was 23 seconds? I think I'll move on from this thread......Rich

Packer......I apologize for making fun of you! There are a lot of good guys on this forum and I would just suggest that you can't expect to not receive any flak for such outrageous statements! God bless and have a good day......Rich

Depending on terrain for costal hunting thick areas
The 416 Rem is very popular along with the 375 HH
For more open areas the 300 Win and 338 Win. My preference 338.
Big Bear in Adler Thickets you need a big Dia bullet .........big Hole!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.