Long range bullets for grizzly

djtjr

Hey guys I have an Alaska hunt coming up in aug and on that hunt I will be hunting grizzly then sheep. I am bringing my 300 RUM and wanted to see your thoughts on using the Berger 210 on the grizzly? I use them and a maxs in 208 gn for everything and prob prefer the amax but I don't think I would use it on more damgerous game even though I would use it for anything else. Because of the sheep hunt I want to be able to have a load and bullet that can reach out like I can with other guns of mine and shoot 6-700 plus but need something that can also get it done in close. I don't like having two loads out of one gun as I have heard too many times about shooting different loads affecting the rounds that follow and since I will be in the middle of nowhere a real thorough cleaning between may not be possible. Any thoughts or other recommendations? I know the usual suspects for the bear but TB bear claw tax etc but don't think at they have the long range abilities I will want for the sheep.
Thanks for your help.
Don

Been on many Sheep, Moose and Grizzly hunts with the 300 RUM. Forget the idea of taking a Grizz at long range, especially with the Berger or the A-Max. The Sheep will be your longest shot. The Berger or the A-Max will work fine for the Sheep, but why complicate matters. When I was shooting the RUM, I found an extremely accurate load with the 200 gr AB, and that is what was in the magazine when I was in the Alaskan bush. Most of the time you will run across the Grizz when you are sheep or moose hunting.
If your particular rifle does not like the 200 AB, then try the 180 AB, and don't look back.

Why even consider ruining your hunt with a marginal target bullet. This is an expensive hunt you are talking about. Any guide worth his salt that I am aware of in over 30 years of Alaska hunting will not let you use a target bullet on grizzly and even frown on hunting anything with them. I have guided for thirty years and would not carry you hunting for grizzly with those bullets. Your guide is responsible for retrieving your bear and he does not care for inexperienced hunters putting him in danger.

When choosing a hunting bullet the first thing you consider is a quality premium hunting bullet that will do the job in all circumstances. Second and never first is a respectable BC for that hunting bullet. Unfortunately on these forums I see where most are just looking at BC's and forgetting about killing the animal. They are just looking to hit it and take there chances. That is not the proper thought process. Get a 200 grain Nosler Accubond, Barnes ttsx swift scirroco, etc. You will have no problem with those bullets killing game at the 600-700 yards you described or out to over 1000 if you are good enough. But don't shoot grizzlies that far. If you want to shoot caribou, deer and smaller with the target bullets it is possible but don't go bigger than that unless you get a properly constructed hunting bullet.

The target bullets could work on sheep. The problem is many times they are in grizzly country and you need a bullet for that. Always hunt with the bullet best suited for the most difficult game you plan on encountering. Forget trying to grab those high BC's and just get a bullet that will kill stuff in all circumstances. One that will not blow apart up close or on tough muscle or bone and gives you controled expansion at all ranges.

Dont take two loads, take one. and make sure it is a bullet solid enough for your toughest game. swift scirrocco's in 180grn have a good b.c and are premium hunting bullets. I really like the barnes TTSX, and is what i use in my .338 RUM. Accubonds are supposed to be good, but I have little experience with them. The only other one that I think would fit the bill is something from GS Custom bullets, but they are too pricey for my blood. AMAX and Bergers are a no-no in grizz country. hope you have a good hunt! fill us in when you get back.

Why even consider ruining your hunt with a marginal target bullet. This is an expensive hunt you are talking about. Any guide worth his salt that I am aware of in over 30 years of Alaska hunting will not let you use a target bullet on grizzly and even frown on hunting anything with them. I have guided for thirty years and would not carry you hunting for grizzly with those bullets. Your guide is responsible for retrieving your bear and he does not care for inexperienced hunters putting him in danger.

When choosing a hunting bullet the first thing you consider is a quality premium hunting bullet that will do the job in all circumstances. Second and never first is a respectable BC for that hunting bullet. Unfortunately on these forums I see where most are just looking at BC's and forgetting about killing the animal. They are just looking to hit it and take there chances. That is not the proper thought process. Get a 200 grain Nosler Accubond, Barnes ttsx swift scirroco, etc. You will have no problem with those bullets killing game at the 600-700 yards you described or out to over 1000 if you are good enough. But don't shoot grizzlies that far. If you want to shoot caribou, deer and smaller with the target bullets it is possible but don't go bigger than that unless you get a properly constructed hunting bullet.

The target bullets could work on sheep. The problem is many times they are in grizzly country and you need a bullet for that. Always hunt with the bullet best suited for the most difficult game you plan on encountering. Forget trying to grab those high BC's and just get a bullet that will kill stuff in all circumstances. One that will not blow apart up close or on tough muscle or bone and gives you controled expansion at all ranges.

+1 on what LTLR said above. He is 110% right on. If you guide is of any quality, he/she will not even let you attempt a long range shot on a grizzly.

LTLR hit it on the head. Just say no to the berger. The 200 accubond would be the only thing with a high bc that comes close to a bear bullet.

Thanks guys to clarify I have no intention of doing the bear long range, I feel dangerous game here and africa are close range animals for a variety of reasons. I just wasn't sure if it would hold together will check out the ab and go from there thanks
D

I tried to get a picture of my sheep and grizzly from last year and something went wrong. I used the Barnes TTSX bullet on a combo sheep, grizzly, caribou last year. It did great on all three. The sheep is in the sheep section, bear in the bear section. Bear exit wound from ttsx in the bear section under 338's for bear.

Thanks guys to clarify I have no intention of doing the bear long range, I feel dangerous game here and africa are close range animals for a variety of reasons. I just wasn't sure if it would hold together will check out the ab and go from there thanks
D

The ONLY distance I would consider shooting at a Grizzley with a Berger would be LONG range. This would be so you would have plenty of time to get up a tree!:D Seriously, the guys have given you a lot of advice and I would use it. As someone already mentioned, sometimes we get so caught up in hitting something we forget that killling it is the goal (well put).......Rich

D

To answer your question of will the VLD bullets do the trick at short range, the answer is yes. Any one that who has shot or skinned a bear knows that they are an extremely thin skinned animal. They are a predator and ARE tough but very thin skinned. I posted a video on here before of a grizzly I filmed in BC getting shot with a 7mm and a 180 Berger and the grizzly at 350 yards was one and done. There are several other people that you have probably heard of that have shot Grizzly/Brown bears with the VLD bullets. All were with the 7mm 180's I believe. Those folks are: John Burns, John Porter, Scott Downs, Aaron and Mike Davidson so it can be done. There are opinions on every type of bullets and everyone has their favorites. I have been around several outfitters and have hunted many different places and I would say that I have met far more outfitters that will not allow Nosler bullets in their camps than I have ones that hated VLD's.

Unless you know your outfitter very well and he knows how you shoot and trusts your long range ability, the guys are right, no guide worth his salt would condone a long range shot. After all they will be the ones peaking in the Alders looking for the fuzzy wuzzy. BUT that is not what you asked in your post, you asked if the VLD bullets would work, and there are 6 people above that if you asked would say they worked very well. Talk to your outfitter and ask what he recommends and what he would feel most comfortable with. But if it was me, and remember it's just my opinion, there would be a VLD in my magazine box.

It can be done but not a very good idea. I have hunted bears for 40 years and killed way more than I can remember counting. They are thin skinned but extremely heavy boned and tough muscular. With the perfect shot and angle you can certainly do it. I do not like for things to have to be perfect. Fragmenting bullets are scary on grizzly because you never know if the bullet has done it's job or blown into a zillion pieces on tough muscle or bone. I don't like those chances. I am not saying you can't do it. A guy just needs to get the proper bullets to make sure he gets the job done.

It can be done but not a very good idea. I have hunted bears for 40 years and killed way more than I can remember counting. They are thin skinned but extremely heavy boned and tough muscular. With the perfect shot and angle you can certainly do it. I do not like for things to have to be perfect. Fragmenting bullets are scary on grizzly because you never know if the bullet has done it's job or blown into a zillion pieces on tough muscle or bone. I don't like those chances. I am not saying you can't do it. A guy just needs to get the proper bullets to make sure he gets the job done.

+1.....I've killed several good sized critters with a 22 LR but I wouldn't take it bear hunting......Rich

Darn it!! I am going bear hunting tomorrow. Both my rifles, 300 win and 338 Lapua have loads with Bergers. Maybe I will just stay home..... Naw! I am just shootin little black bears.

I have seen many differnt bullets shine and many fail. I really don't like the Barnes solids as I have seen plenty of game run away with them plus they foul a bore worse than anythig I have seen. But that is just my exprience and opinion.

I hate bullet debates, there are so many variables that there is NO WAY any two shots can be the same. I say shoot what you shoot well and trust. For me that is Bergers. Nothing, ever, has escaped with a Berger for me and I have piled up game with them for years. I admit I have never shot a Griz, but I can look you in the eye and tell you right here in this neighborhood you couldn't coun't the elk taken last season with Bergers on two hands.

Sorry guys, we are all entitled to our own opinions , and I am sure we all base them on personal experience. So now I have stated mine too.

Jeff PS: that elk below was shot in 2007 with a 210 Berger. Shhhhh , dont wake him.

Last edited:
Is this long range bear hunt river and or lakes? I've been and done some over the years. Kodiac browns with a 416 and 338/378 for long shots. Most bear hunts are close in fishing or beach giz was done with 416 rigby and rem mag or 458 win mag and my 458 american

Dall sheep are longer shots 2-7 hundred yards

Or I was driving down the road from Ank to Holmer and my local freind got his nice Dall mount with his 270 win truck gun. they hang out right below the snow and ice level.

My 458 got my local buddy his 9' 6" giz full stand up mount in his house here. It was walking towards us and my reload 510 gr round nose in the chest blew out it's butt cheek on the way out

Back in the day when my friend first got his Kenia river fishing bis going around 1970 bear hunters were using 338 win mag, 416 rigby and the 458's guys with money 340 w or 378w even the H&H's

Very few people even showed up 458 Lott's and 460 W's the recoil is just to much

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.