Long Range Browning BAR?

Shot a lot of BARs, never had one that I could not get well under MOA to 500 yards, usually with factory fodder. I never hot loaded for a BAR, never saw the point. Thing I always like about the BAR is they actually came in LH.

My dad has a BAR that usually shoots sub moa or better. It doesn't like to be hot as groups open up quickly after 6-8 shots but that first group is usually solid with decent ammo. His is a 300 win mag.

I had a Safari in 300win that shot<moa with ammo it liked. Sold it in a weak moment....would love to replace it. Handled great, my only beef was the weight.

I shoot a first production year BAR my grandfather left me in 243 Win. It has always shot sub-MOA with everything but 105gr and 55gr bullets. 70-100gr shoots great. The barrel twist is the problem there, not anything else. It will shoot factory Win Silvertip 95gr into tiny groups.
My father-in-law shoots an early 80s BAR in 300 WM. That rifle is also a sub MOA shooter and it's never shot anything other than 150gr and 180gr Federal/Remington/Winchester cheap stuff.

Lots of great info guys, 300D, I had always thought of the BAR as a gun for the 7mm/300WM type rounds but hat .243 must be a very nice gun to shoot. Maybe a great brush country coyote gun, hmmm. Thanks all. MT

One thing with BARs is they can be wildly variable imo. My family has probably owned over 20 together and some are incredible some are just good.

one 3006 is a diamond, wildly accurate for a semi and recoils less than an ar15. Truly incredible, needed some work once and the gunsmith tried to buy it at pickup time.

One 243 recoiled worse than a 300 win of the same rifle. Perhaps it got the wrong gas port size? Who knows

some of them have better triggers than others as well. My safari I shoot most is light and smooth but not much wall. That's the nature of the BAR game, they are imperfect but man I love them.

I have always liked the look of the Browning BAR. I have never owned one but have always considered it to be a classic north American hunting rifle. I know the accuracy can't really be compared to the long range bolt action rifles but what accuracy should a hunter expect with good factory ammo at 300 yds? Thanks, MT
I own a BAR Safari Mark II Safari 300 WSM with BOSS and a BAR MK2 Stalker 270 WSM without the BOSS. I use my BAR's mainly for hunting elk in thick timer areas when you need a fast-shooting short barrel rifle to shoulder quickly. Once you find the sweet spot with the right ammo it is an absolute tack driver as far out as any bolt action I own with no recoil. The 270 Stalker without the BOSS is all over the place sighting in at 100-200 yards. I have tried every factory ammo known to man. Get the one with the BOSS and stay away from the ones without.

I own a BAR Mark II Safari 300 WSM with BOSS and a BAR MK3 Stalker 270 WSM without the BOSS. I use my BAR's mainly for hunting elk in thick timer areas when you need a fast-shooting short barrel rifle to shoulder quickly. Once you find the sweet spot with the right ammo it is an absolute tack driver as far out as any bolt action I own with no recoil. The 270 Stalker without the BOSS is all over the place sighting in at 100-200 yards. I have tried every factory ammo known to man. Get the one with the BOSS and stay away from the ones without. FYI, The BOSS will cause hearing loss to anyone standing behind you.

Last edited: