Long Range Bipods/Tripods

brush_buster

What's the best long range hunting bipod/tripod system. I saw a system used on The Best Of The West last Monday but I didn't catch the name of the product. It looked very solid and they were shooting game at some very long distances.

Thanks in advance.

I didn't see the show because I'm livin in the land down under, but I have seen the show and they are big on the Stoney Point gear.

I tried it after seeing it , but wasn't that impressed. Maybe I didn't know how to use it properly.

I prefer the S series Harris with the pod loc. But thats only if you can get prone !

Cheers

I didn't see the show because I'm livin in the land down under, but I have seen the show and they are big on the Stoney Point gear.

=============================

This is the one I saw on the show. You were right it was a Stoney Point but with a rear leg for steadying the gun. Almost like having a bench rest in the field. Thanks for your reply. What did you not like about the bipod from Stoney Point?

Cabela's -- Stoney Point Tripod Rear Support

I like Stoney Point products and have many of them, including the Explorer tripod with the Tag-a-long accessary leg shown.

These tripods are better than nothing when you have to shoot from a position, above the prone position, but they leave a lot to be desired. You really have to fiddle around with the Tag-a-long leg to get everything just right (and on target) and it is not terribly stable. The legs are thin tubing and the plastic fitting on the rear leg and tag-a-long do not lock. Moderate friction between plastic parts is all that holds the adjustments.

With that being said, the Explorer is a device that you will get better at using over time. With plenty of practice you will learn just how to use your body position to help support the device and your rifle.

I use mine mostly when shooting varmints from the middle of fields that have vegetation growing in them. One big plus is that they are very light weight. They come with the most useless strap imaginable and plasic clips that are also worthless but they can easily be replaced.

My recommendation would be try it before you buy it. The Explorer costs about $90 shipped and the Tag-a-long costs another $18.

Just my 2 cents

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.