Long range archery

Update, I just received the three dozen Gold Tip Pro Hunter's I ordered. I moved my rear peep up to just below the upper cam and this allows me to maximize my sight bar to the fullest. I obviously will have to anchor much lower than my usual. I'll be reinstalling my scope lens and peep verifier. I have the trigger on my release set at roughly 1#. I'm having a custom made 4' x 4' target made which I'll use as my primary with two store bought 30x 30" bag targets (just in case). Hopefully, I'll be able to pull this all together within the next couple weeks and post a video. I'm estimating I should be able to at least get 170-190 yards out of this setup but who knows.

Update, I have worked myself out to 165 yards and my groups are holding in the 12-16" range using my oddball arrows. I'm just about to finalize my tuning and then straight on to the challenge. It appears 165 is all I'm going to get out of my current setup because the scope housing comes into contact with the arrow. I already have purchased the sledgehammer bow of the archery world ( Mathews Monster Safari with 85# limbs) and will try to extend even further out. The Safari is shooting a 425 grain arrow at 356fps. I remain hopefully to at least get 195 without a hold over.

cam bows are fine for what they are, and their long distance accuracy approaches and sometimes equals that of x-bows. i can absolutely appreciate those that hunt with such weapons for whatever their reasons. but imho, none of that is true "archery", where a coupla sticks and a string make "long distance" more like 30 yards and not 130 yards. most of my longbow kills are under 15 yards, and the challenge is in getting close to the prey, and making that good shot. i do shoot the clout @ 180 yards, but the target is 12 feet in diameter and has an 18" bull. :)

I'd be more worried about penitrTion then range 80 yds is my max at animals that's only if it's a big deer I pulled up on a bobcat at 85 and said yea no ...as far as for fun gunna try 200 this summer start at 80 yds with hha and go out by 10 yds using 250 carbon blue ...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.