Long range archery

Broken arrow

How many of you guys are trying to maximize your archery range? I know this site is generally about long range firearms shooting but I'm working on doing the same thing with my bow. I'm interested gaining some knowledge if you would share. I've got mine out to a legit 140 but I'm looking to extend the range of my sight to 200+ yards. I've got some ideas I think will work but wanted to know what you've tried?? I'd like to shorten the learning curve!

So no input from anyone???

It looks like I'll be sailing uncharted waters then.:cool:

Come on, surely someone has tried it?

Just woundering what kind of groups are acceptable for this distance of shooting.

I gave up my sponsorship with a major bow manufacture a few years back due to time and financial reasons. I have shot with the top men in the world and practice with a young lady that won her 1st world championship at age 15. My son reached olympic level at age 9. They all shoot specialized equipment designed for outdoor events. Bows were all long ATA length, stabilizers in the 32-34" range with 10-12" side bars, sights were target style with 6x min (I struggle with anything over 6x), rests were all spring steel. I used both ACC and ACE, x10's would be the preferred arrows. Specialized equipment does not come cheep. My sons set up at age 9 was in the $2000-2500 range, I never kept track of my cost for equipment because I never wanted to know. My personal equipment is a PSE Moneymaker, Davis The System sight (6x Zeiss),carbon force stabs, infinity rest and ACE arrows. My sight tape maxes out at 130 but sight interferes with arrow past 110. I would have to change my form or anchor point to get more distance. You will have to post some videos if you get out around 200, I think it would be something cool to see.

I get 130 before my sight hits the arrow even if I rotate the fletching for clearance around the scope housing. I looked closely and it appears I have about 2" to work with on second peep I'll be installing. I'm hoping that extra 2" gives me another 70 yards but we will see. I generally shoot Gold Tip Pro's but I'm thinking about trying a slightly heavier, thinner diameter shaft to see if it has flatter trajectory at extended range. I know for fact that slightly heavier, same diameter shaft drop significantly more and penetrate less than the Gold Tips (sort of surprising to me).

The penetration results from quite a few factors. Gold tip uses a flaired insert(field point is larger than arrow dia) so the drag factor is greatly reduced when going into a target. With broadheads you will find different results since the dia of the shaft has no bearing on the drag going into a target at that point it is all velocity and mass. On soft mass like a deer my experiences are that the broadheads factor into penetration more than any other aspect. Heavier arrows drop more at the same distance because they are traveling at a slower rate. If you have the same starting velocity you find they will retain more velocity at longer ranges. Smaller dia are used to minimize the amount of drift caused by cross winds.

I remember Dave Cousins talking about the weight of his arrows. His findings were if 11 arrows were perfect in all aspects and one arrow was only one grain heavier, that arrow will impact 1" low at 80yds. Myself that one grain I can't notice I expect 20% x-ring, 60% 10 ring, and 100% 9 ring. a guy that shoots like him he will notice that one arrow always low since he expects to shoot a perfect round.

I remember Dave Cousins talking about the weight of his arrows. His findings were if 11 arrows were perfect in all aspects and one arrow was only one grain heavier, that arrow will impact 1" low at 80yds. Myself that one grain I can't notice I expect 20% x-ring, 60% 10 ring, and 100% 9 ring. a guy that shoots like him he will notice that one arrow always low since he expects to shoot a perfect round.

That sounds like a fairly accurate statement.

I got to thinking about it a little more and think 1 inch per grain at 80 is to much, with my setup anyway.

I shoot two different kind of arrows a fair amount at 110 yards. One arrow is 108 grains heavier than the other. The heavier arrow impacts 14-16" lower than the lighter one using the same sight setting. They both pretty well shoot about the same to 30 yards. I actually have two separate sight tapes now on the same bow (one for each setup).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts