Long Range Antelope Round

I have to admit, antelope are tough critters. I blew out the heart on mine and it still ran. The wound was fist size, roughly close range 290-300yd shot Sierra match king 168 gr 7mag

Attachments

• ATT_1412257563068_photo.jpg
    ATT_1412257563068_photo.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 114
  • ATT_1412257593094_photo.jpg
    ATT_1412257593094_photo.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 113
Think about this, antelope run 55+ mph all day. As we witness on my trip. There meat is at least 5 times more dense than any other deer in USA. Muscle to run quickly and fast. There front legs are noticeable bigger than rear. This allows them to turn very quickly.

Use a heavy bullet with great weight retention.

.25-06 100 Gr Barnes TTSX at 3225.

Two goats two weeks ago, first at 289, DRT she was laying on a hillside across a wide draw, broke both front legs and smashed the heart, second at 410 double lung slightly higher than I like, ran about 400 yards FAST then died on the flat about 100 yards off the road... easy drag!

Neither one of mine was tough, actually more tender than the Texas Whitetails I regularly shoot. They made fine sausage!

As far as wind goes learn to read the wind to estimate fairly close and learn your ballistics tables including wind drift. Buy a good scope with target type turrets for quick adjustments. Adjust for wind and elevation, then hold dead on.

The 289 was my second longest shot ever and it was in a 10 mph left to right wind. thankfully the 410 shot was on a calm day and was my longest shot to date. I look forward to more!

Last edited:
.25-06 100 Gr Barnes TTSX at 3225.

Two goats two weeks ago, first at 289, DRT she was laying on a hillside across a wide draw, broke both front legs and smashed the heart, second at 410 double lung slightly higher than I like, ran about 400 yards FAST then died on the flat about 100 yards off the road... easy drag!

Neither one of mine was tough, actually more tender than the Texas Whitetails I regularly shoot. They made fine sausage!

As far as wind goes learn to read the wind to estimate fairly close and learn your ballistics tables including wind drift. Buy a good scope with target type turrets for quick adjustments. Adjust for wind and elevation, then hold dead on.

The 289 was my second longest shot ever and it was in a 10 mph left to right wind. thankfully the 410 shot was on a calm day and was my longest shot to date. I look forward to more!

You may have miss understood me. Tough critters to kill, not tough to eat...

You can stick with the same caliber and go to a fast twist barrel to shoot the heaviest bullet possible. Or- you stick with what you got, put a great scope on it and practice a bunch.

You're not going to see a lot of deviation out to 500. Past that, you could take that 8mm and tune it up and shoot that. It has PLENTY of weight in the wind!

If you just want something to play with, chamber it in 7mm mag or 300 wm. yeah, they are big, but man can they reach out!

And it seems like my 7mm with 180 VLD's shoots through the wind. Not sure of the reason. But my drift is usually half of what my calculator tells me.

Last edited:
Shot my first speed goat last week in Lusk, WYO. With my 243 using Superformance SST in 95 grain. We first spotted him at 475 yards. He ended up running straight as an arrow to us and I shot him standing at 85 yards. Hit him with two shots thru the bread basket, he ran about 30 yards and I shot out his spine. Both men I was with said I missed him the first 2 shots. I heard the bullets hit him all three times.gun)

antelope.jpg

Last edited:
Shot my first speed goat last week in Lusk, WYO. With my 243 using Superformance SST in 95 grain. We first spotted him at 475 yards. He ended up running straight as an arrow to us and I shot him standing at 85 yards. Hit him with two shots thru the bread basket, he ran about 30 yards and I shot out his spine. Both men I was with said I missed him the first 2 shots. I heard the bullets hit him all three times.gun)

Proof is in the pudding, there build hardy.

Never had the opportunity to hunt Antelope but if I had a Rem 700 mag action and wanted a looooooog range Antelope rifle it would be a 264 Win mag with as long a barrel as I could reasonably come up with. Oh wait that is exactly what I have.:D
Mine has a Shilen #4 that is 27 3/4" long. Only thing I would change is it would have an 8 twist instead of the 9 twist that I have so I could shoot 140 gr bullets. I got the rifle in a trade from my buddy that had the rifle built with a 28" barrel blank that he got in a trade and that was the reason for the 9 twist 27 3/4" which was all they could get. Mine shoots under MOA with 130 Accubonds at 3350 fps with Retumbo. Talk about a bullet getting on game quick. I bean field deer hunt and the first deer I shot with this rifle was just a touch over 400 yards and I could not believe how fast I heard the POP of the bullet hitting that deer. That deer was dead and on the ground before the rifle came down out of recoil which is really light. I have been a long time 25-06 shooter and it is near and dear to my heart but this 264 Win mag is starting to get a warm spot in my heart. :D

I'll agree with the guys who suggested a 6.5 mm or a 7 mm. 130 or 140 gr VLDs in the 6.5 mm, 168 or 180 gr VLDs in the 7 mm. The 30 cals can't hang with them as far as ballistic coefficient until you get over 200 grains in bullet weight. If you need that much energy a big 30 or 338 is a thing of beauty. If you don't, the smaller diameters will get it done with style. However, I still think you'd be fine with your 25-06AI and the VLDs for almost any shot you will encounter.

If I get to hunt antelope it will be with my 25-06 and the Barnes Vor-Tex 100 grain TTSX BT. I'd like to keep the goat within 300 yards or less and preferably not running it's tail off after the shot. I really would like to eat as much of the critter as possible and the less adrenaline the better. Hopefully my outfitter will be able to get it on ice as quickly as possible.

I have taken a about a dozen antelope from 200-800 yards(majority at 400-600 yards) with my 6.5-284 loaded with 140 Berger/JLK VLDs loaded to 2965FPS. They are tough animals for their size but this caliber does an excellent job out at longer ranges. I think a good rangefinder and experience with wind doping is as important as an accurate rifle.

5a33f3dec867fa31d3eac7bb1171fb53_zps873f62f2.jpg

I have taken a about a dozen antelope from 200-800 yards(majority at 400-600 yards) with my 6.5-284 loaded with 140 Berger/JLK VLDs loaded to 2965FPS. They are tough animals for their size but this caliber does an excellent job out at longer ranges. I think a good rangefinder and experience with wind doping is as important as an accurate rifle.

5a33f3dec867fa31d3eac7bb1171fb53_zps873f62f2.jpg

Daddy goat, any pictures of bullet hole/recovery

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.