long range and supressors

I have not noticed a difference in barrel fouling, but the suppressors do end up making a "dirtier" gun. In a bolt gun, this is hardly noticeable. In a gas gun however, even on my piston uppers, the back pressure leads to very dirty chambers and FCG. Non-piston AR's get downright FILTHY within 20 shots.

It is good policy to remove the suppressors after shooting, (while they are still warm) to reduce the amount of moisture they harbor. If left on the gun it can lead to a pretty nasty barrel after a while. For this reason I'm a big fan of QD mounts, namely the "ratchet" style designs. My favorite is the YHM. It is quite easy to index and get the can back to the same spot each time.

I will notice the rifle will shot slightly worse when I remove the suppressor. This is due to the fact the load is developed with the suppressor on. Hanging 2lbs off the end of the barrel will definitely change the harmonics slightly. Thusly, I like thick short barrels if I'm working with a platform that will be primarily suppressed.

As others mentioned, removing the suppressor also results in a POI shift. On all my suppressed guns this is repeatable, and easily compensated for.

I am also looking at getting a suppessor for my Rem 700 308 bolt gun. Currently, I am looking at Gemtech Sandstorm, Thunderbeast and Shark, all are titanium. Which of these would be the best from the opinion of the guys on this site that shoot them. Any of the have any problems over the others? Like customer service, construction, weight, etc

Surfire suppressors are top of the line at the moment. Suppressors reduce recoil and signature but can affect where your bullet hits. Usually a suppressor puts the bullet up and to the right. On a semiautomatic Knights Armament SR-25 I use, which aren't all that and a bag of chips, my suppressor hits in the same spot as with out using the suppressor. So my dope is the same with or without the supressor. The suppressor does cause excess carbon build up on the front of the barrel where the suppressor overlaps the barrel and in the chamber. If I shoot with my suppressor on, I often see dirty rounds in my mag when I clear the SR-25. Suppressors do add weight to the weapon, but with reduced recoil and signature without affecting accuracy, I say get a suppressor if you can afford one. Quick detach suppressors are nice to have, but have fun trying to detach a suppressor after firing it six times (above factory recommendation) in a minute. Current suppressors are often said to improve accuracy, but as far as I am concerned that is up for debate. Let me make one point in my closing. You don't need to calculate the earths rotation in your plot if you don't have a perfect shooting form.

Good Luck,

Troy

And they are entitled to their opinion as are you and I. Why post that you disagree without providing any information on what you think is the best and why it is better? I know one thing and that is that I don't know everything. I am always open to learning and hearing other peoples opinions on matters. :)

You are right, I should have went into a bit more detail.

The mount. Myself as well as several others I know had problems with the mount being loose and less than confidence inspiring. I don't like things flopping around on the end of my muzzle. Every once in a while I'd see an abnormally bad flyer. Is this just because I lacked confidence in the suppressor? Maybe. Or maybe there was something mechanical causing it.

Got rid of the can, replaced it with a YHM phantom QD and the flyer has not returned. The YHM locks up solid. Not saying its the "top of the line" either. Just saying that I don't believe the surefire to be worth its price.

So you had a surefire quick detach suppressor and the mount on the weapon that the suppressor attaches to kept coming loose and was of poor quality, but the suppressor itself was worked well?

And they are entitled to their opinion as are you and I. Why post that you disagree without providing any information on what you think is the best and why it is better? I know one thing and that is that I don't know everything. I am always open to learning and hearing other peoples opinions on matters. :)

You didnt mention anything specific about the Surfire to back up you claim that it is the best, "top of the line." You only mentioned the advantages of suppressors in general. So what makes Surfire the best, for you? Have you tried other suppressors in the same caliber on the same gun? And why were they not "top of the line?"

Just curious.

So you had a surefire quick detach suppressor and the mount on the weapon that the suppressor attaches to kept coming loose and was of poor quality, but the suppressor itself was worked well?

The mount went on the gun just fine. The suppressor was loose on their own mount. It rattled around.

Topbrass: I have used Knights Armament, AAC, Gemtech and Surefire suppressors. The Surefire suppressors were compact, light weight, did not drastically change POI and slightly increase accuracy. The Surefire stood up under rapid fire, did its job as a suppressor and I never had any issues with them. The downsides to the Surefire suppressors is the suppressor attachment and the cost. Like any of us, no one ever likes to pay a premium amount for our toys. I have used suppressors on the 7.62 and 5.56 and yes on the same weapons. I do plan to get one for my 6.8 LWRC SBR.

Orkan: That sucks you had issues with your suppressor. I would have taken pictures of the defect and submitted them on the net. A lot of the guys I work with have had good experiences with the AACs and Gemtechs they own.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.