long range and supressors

Rum and not the liquid

so i hear both sides of the story yes supressors afect trajectory/performance no they dont but having not had much experience with them id thought this was the best place to ask

thanks

'lucas

all my hunting rifles here in the uk are suppressed , suppressors in my experience make no difference to the performance with the exception of one old sako 243 that a stalker in scotland used that was 50 fps faster with the moderator on ? go figure ?

you will get a poi shift with the mod on but thats easy to allow for , you will find that a moderated rifle is easier to shoot well due to less noise and recoil.

they are ungainly on the end of your rifle but there becoming lighter and shorter all the time ?

Russ

yeh the recoil and noise in relation to scaring animals im not to worried about it just my hearing with 100gns of powder it cn b pretty loud and after 2 rounds my hearing is a bit lacking i have a break on it nw so do u think the postion would still change?

less recoil and noise make it easier to shoot accuratley thats all .

the poi change is due to barrel harmonics , i'm lucky and just get a 1moa vertical shift so it's easy to compensate for but i've seen rifles that are up to six inches off at 100yds at 7 o'clock?

I have an interest in these also. I read of one company making these out of titanium, which was appealing due to their lighter weight. I may try one out on an AR-15 first. The ones I saw for a 300 Win Mag were a fair amount larger and heavier. I'm not convinced I wanna pack that extra weight, with the extended barrel length, around on pack-in hunts. In fact I'm pretty sure I don't. But I could sure do without the muzzle blast.

Firstly they do not in any way effect the performance of the rifle in a negative way, except for as stated a slight POI change either on or off.

the size (as we all know LOL) is an issue! a few smiths over here make them, pretty light too 320 grams for some, but it is the issue of the OAL of the rifle, that concerns me too.

I have one on my 223 had it for years, heavy too, 2.2 lbs!! would I change it? NO, cause it doubles as a batton when I run out of ammo :D!
But seriosly, they have their place sure, its on my 223 because I shoot rabbits on lifestyle blocks for people and neigbours get a little ****ed with a boom, not so much with a suppressor, but the super sonic crack still gets peoples attention.

A mate wants one on his 300 RUM because he has a dog, you think its bad for us!! poor old pooch cant stick his fingers in his ears or put on muffs and how much more sensitive is their hearing to ours.

Ive considered one for my Lapua but after seeing one and laughing my *** off I decided against it, the OAL of the rig was almost as big as me!!! muzzle break and ear plugs are way easier.

However the flipside to it is that they dont have to be on all the time, they are fairly compact and sturdy and they screw on and off easy, on risky thing is losing the thread cover on the barrel. long range shots are rarley rushed so you have time to do all this, BUT for the big cals I still advise wearing earplugs if you can/want to.

If you think it will make you more comfortable shooting, go for it its your rifle and ears after all.

Regards 300WSMMAD

Last edited:
brillent thanks 300 yeh the pack weight isnt 2much of a issue cause the pro out way the cons i do wear muff when im range shoot due 2 the hi volume but hunting i dnt wear anything i was with a guy who wore plugs and 2 wait him to jam them in while hunting :rolleyes:. i can deal with 1 or 2 shots but 1 or 2 shots over time is where the damage is gna come frm dan hardy makes a resonably light unit and i think the ultra would look badass with a supressor on it 2 :cool:

thanks

lucas

Duur, sorry I didnt even look at your location! I would suggest calling Robbie Tiffan at Gunworks. Thats who I would use mate.

Regards 300WSMMAD

I have 4 suppressors and have not noticed any negative affects on accuracy at all. POI changes for sure, but, as was stated earlier, it's easy to compensate for.

I'm building a new 6.5x47 lapua right now. just waiting for the barrel to get here(it's been 4 months, come on kreiger) i bought the gemtech sandstorm for it, the new titanium can that is really light.

This will be my first long range suppressed setup that I'll have, and I can't wait to get it running! I'll post more info after it's complete and i get some range time in.

I have a bunch of them and they make it way more pleasant to shoot. I have wearing ear muffs now.

YouTube - 408 cheytac at 2700 yards

I was fixin to ask what you shooting at? the hill :D
Sure looks like your aiming for the sky haha. Nice rifle by the way!

Im just finishing up my 300wm build and the wait is on for the suppressor.
Picking up the barrel from the gunsmith today and putting everything together when i get home.

So far I'm only reading about pluses with suppressors (less noise, no change in ballistics) and no minuses. I've never used one, but I've been told they really increase barrel fouling. Can anyone address this?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.