Long range and fixed parallax, anybody tried this?

philip140

Hi guys, looking for some advice really regarding the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 Tactical, I saw it in the shop today and I was impressed with its quality and price. Has anybody had a crack at this scope or know anybody who has?
I don't have a lot of disposable funds at the moment but I need something to mount on my Remington 700 SPS in .223, I just got a thumbhole laminate stock for it (bedding video to follow) and want to get something decent glass wise without breaking the bank, so......

How is a fixed parallax scope going to fair accuracy wise at long range? (for a .223) I'll be shooting targets at a max range of just over 600yds, but mostly 400 and under when varmint hunting.

I've never used a fixed parallax scope for long range before, the only one I have is mounted to my rimfire. So can most of the limitations be overcome by being more diligent with regards a consistent cheek weld? I'm thinking it could but if anybody has experience in this field I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks all

Phil

Fixed power is OK for long range use, but if that trophy appears very close, the narrow field of view makes it difficult to find it in the scope. For that reason, you would be better with a variable. I would look at any 6-24 power with AO. Parallax is most critical at the closer ranges. When the target is further away, parallax is not critical. Many scopes are parallax free beyond 200 yards. The Bushnell Elite is a good scope, and 10X40 should serve you well.

I haven't used that particular scope but have used fixed parallax scopes at the ranges and the power (10x) you describe with no problems. I do pay particular attention to head position/ cheek weld , especially when changing shooting positions between sitting and prone. My experience has been that parallax becomes more of a factor as you move up in power, +15x.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.