Long Range and convectional rifles / optics

Arctic

A while back i bought a monocular with a mrad reticle. I brought this, a leica rangefinder and a rifle in 9.3 mauser equiped with a 1.5x6 scope out to the range. As you know this isn't a flat shooting caliber so the holdover was 80" at 500 yards and 178" on 650 yards with the round i used.

I was shooting at a round steel plate and i used the mrda reticel in the moncular to find the holdover, I found a spot in the terrain above the target where i could aim (a smal rock) and so i did, and it worked ! Then i used this approach at longer distances with good results. Each time measuring with the reticle and finding spots in the background to aim at.

Is this a hopless method that might work at the range but not in a hunting situastion? I love the scope i have (Kahles) and i use this rifle mainly at shorter distances, but i am hopping to extend the range a little. The only rifle I have with a bullet drop compensator is a varmint rifle. :)

Sounds like a lot of fun! I would keep going to to see how far you can hit your target. I wouldn't try to hunt with it at that distance but don't stop now! gun)

What is a convectional rifle? I have a convection oven? :D

sounds you have another way to skin a cat that might work for you at the range and maybe out in the woods hunting . win win :D

Sounds like you are getting to know that rifle rather intimately and that is all it takes. There is nothing wrong w/ kentucky windage when you know your capabilities and are able to make the proper adjustments in the field. Though you won't always have that little stick or rock to aim at so I'd abort forming that habit b/c on game you may be hanging your cross hairs in space.

If you can accurately gauge 80" for a hold over and wind I'd say you're good to go, but Idk about stretching it to 650 w/ 15' of hold over. The 500yd 6.5' hold over is pushing it a little IMO, BUT if you're proficient and have enough energy I say go for it.. proficient being key word here.

I'm not familiar w/ the round but if you are subsonic at those ranges you're repeatability may be in question.

How big is your gong and how big is your game?

The gong is around 15" . I am mainly using this rifle on moose.

Yes there is a chance that i might not always find something to aim at. Another problem is if the moose moves just a little bit i need to do the process all over.

I can stretch the supersonic range up to around 750-800 yards using Nosler AccuBond.

The gong is around 15" . I am mainly using this rifle on moose.

Yes there is a chance that i might not always find something to aim at. Another problem is if the moose moves just a little bit i need to do the process all over.

I can stretch the supersonic range up to around 750-800 yards using Nosler AccuBond.

But what is the down range energy? Moose aren't small and I've seen the swamps they like. I wouldn't want to track one any further than I had to. But then again you are in Europe so for us Americans the more specific you can be the better. 15" is about the vitals on a moose right? I'd get some smaller steel for practice if you do indeed plan on taking a long shot.

Honestly it all comes down to you and how you feel about the shot. If the moon and stars are aligned and you feel confident in your ability and know your equipment will deliver enough energy then do your thing, BUT if there is any doubt I'd op to stalk closer. Lobbing lead at steel is one thing but you owe your quarry as quick a death as you can deliver.

Here's an archery example.. this professional archer practices out to 120yds accurately, but will not shoot at game beyond 60yds.

A while back i bought a monocular with a mrad reticle. I brought this, a leica rangefinder and a rifle in 9.3 mauser equiped with a 1.5x6 scope out to the range. As you know this isn't a flat shooting caliber so the holdover was 80" at 500 yards and 178" on 650 yards with the round i used.

I was shooting at a round steel plate and i used the mrda reticel in the moncular to find the holdover, I found a spot in the terrain above the target where i could aim (a smal rock) and so i did, and it worked ! Then i used this approach at longer distances with good results. Each time measuring with the reticle and finding spots in the background to aim at.

Is this a hopless method that might work at the range but not in a hunting situastion? I love the scope i have (Kahles) and i use this rifle mainly at shorter distances, but i am hopping to extend the range a little. The only rifle I have with a bullet drop compensator is a varmint rifle. :)
Yes I'd say it's pretty much out of the question for hunting scenarios. You don't have enough scope or enough elevation adjustment for shooting really beyond 400yds.

If you want to shoot long and do it accurately consistently it will definitely take stepping up in the scope department and honestly the 9.3 just doesn't have the ballistics to be practical at long range. You just don't have enough powder capacity to load it up with a quality long range bullet to push it fast enough.

That round is designed to shoot to about 300yds max on large/dangerous game.

You also are not likely to find any bullets in 9.3mm designed with accurate long range ballistics in mind.

The 9.3x62 is not a long rage cartridge, I know. The best "long range" fabric cartridge is the Norma Ecostrike, it has a 225 grain bullet with a BC of 0.43 and muzzle velocity of 2640 ft/s. It has around 1090 ft lb at 650 yards.

As WildRose mentioned the scope has to little magnification, it might be a problem. Still this was a nice experience even if I might not shoot at this distances it increased my confidence for taking mid range shots like the archer.

The reticle scope i used for measuring is a Vortex 8x36 with mrad reticle.

Wondering what method he is using :D :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw

The 9.3x62 is not a long rage cartridge, I know. The best "long range" fabric cartridge is the Norma Ecostrike, it has a 225 grain bullet with a BC of 0.43 and muzzle velocity of 2640 ft/s. It has around 1090 ft lb at 650 yards.

As WildRose mentioned the scope has to little magnification, it might be a problem. Still this was a nice experience even if I might not shoot at this distances it increased my confidence for taking mid range shots like the archer.

It's always fun to push the limits and to even exceed the practical limits of what you are shooting at the range but of course it's up to us as sportsmen to ensure that the shots we are taking on game are responsible and well within the limits of both the equipment and our own abilities.

As for JM, he's absolutely amazing with a handgun but of course he's not using any method for estimating the range, he's shooting at a known range.

That's Louisianna windage :Dgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts