Long range all around western rifle

Hey everybody. So I'm looking to buy a rifle that is a good all around long range hunting rifle. Something that can reach out 1000 yards and kill am elk with confidence. But also a gun I would mind taking a pronghorn with. I'm looking to buy one stock, not build. Right now I'm looking at the browning x bolt max long range in 7mm mag. I'm looking to spend around 1100 on rifle, not including scope. I'm just looking for input on what you guys think about the browning and caliber I'm looking at, or what gun and caliber choice youd search. Also I'm thinking about a savage 110 high country in 280 Ackley. Thanks guys

Yea I think it's a good choice. I've been thinking this over for a while and I've thrown around a lot of guns. But when browning came out with the xbolt max long range in 7 mag. I decided it would be a good choice

Take a look at the 28 Nosler. I have two, one I built and one I just won. The one I built shoots great with 180 bergers around 3100 fps. I could push it faster but i found a good node there. The one I won is an X bolt western hunter. I think I will likely sell it as I like my current one alot. Anyway give that cartridge a look.

I have the A-Bolt medallion in 7 mag and used it to take my first elk this past season. Upgraded stock and NF scope. Landed on this one after doing a lot of research. Browning makes an accurate gun at reasonable price point. Best of luck to you!

I shoot a custom 7 mag. Killed several elk out to 600 yds. Browning is a good choice. If you also want something for pronghorn, 7 mag is a great choice. Fast, flat with good BC. I shoot Berger 168 Hunting VLD. Everyone likes different rounds and what you choose will depend on what your gun likes to eat.

The only problem I see is that if you're serious about 1000 yards for elk, the remaining energy starts to be questionable/reliable to kill a 500-750lb animal unless you're one heck of a shot.

I agree with Elkeater. 0.4MOA with a .30WM @ 800 yards is a good limit. If you want to go 1000 yards, 0.25MOA is close to what you need with a smaller bullet.

IMHO

If you are serious about elk at 1000 yards I don't think the 7mm will have enough left at that range. The big 30's with the 225 grain or heavier would be more like it. Better yet would be 338 or bigger. Check to see what energy you would have left at that range before you make your decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.