Long range all around western rifle

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Pennsylvania_Jackson, May 12, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. jridgestalker

jridgestalker Member

2. jridgestalker

jridgestalker Member

So negative. I live in California. I hunt A zone....you wanna talk about tough?

Try opening weekend...105 degrees, rocky steep ----, full of brush, no water.

Success rate is like 10%. And if your lucky you get an average forkey.

It's tough hunting but it shapes a person.

But....regardless....be polite. This gentleman from Pennsylvania may not be a western hunter....and may have watched too many long range videos....but regardless...dont be impolite

3. BigGrizz

BigGrizz Well-Known Member

I think I mostly agree with that statement, BG.

I remember cow hunting about eight years ago and I shot what was about a two-year old. Another guy I was with popped another cow and I ---- you not when we put her in the back of that Toyota (newer model at the time) she completely filled the backend (head and legs hanging out) and you could not see the two-year old underneath her. Probably the biggest elk I’ve ever seen.

Anomalous? Could be. But the ‘ol girl was BIG.

Don A Parsons and jgs8163 like this.
  4. Cheers2Friends

Cheers2Friends New Member

Don't feel like the "Lone Ranger"....I'm still struggling with the next 6.5 mm I want to own! The 7 mm has serious advantage on bullet weight. I mostly shoot paper but I don't want to rule out game at 5-600 yards. I'd like to punch repeatable holes at 2000 yards. I don't know if I can do this with a 6.5 mm rifle

5. ducky

ducky Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess this is about my post since you quoted me previously. I could have been brutally honest, maybe a little salty, but I wasn't flat out impolite. If you come on a public forum and your feelings are hurt by what I wrote, then you probably can't handle a western elk hunt anyway.

6. North Idaho Hunter

North Idaho Hunter Well-Known Member

Idk about you guys but I have shot a few cows that were BIGGER then the average rag horn bull.

Shot with itty bitty 6.5’s too!

300 win mag for all around gets my vote. Just get a good muzzle brake and your ready to go to work.

7. snowypeakoutdoors

snowypeakoutdoors Member

Everything you said is true, and it is also why my Abolt is now a paperweight. If I was in your situation, and maybe the OP is, it might not be. I looked into smiths and found that not only are they hard to come by, but by the time I paid for shipping my rifle off, paid hundreds to the smith for the extra labor for messing around with removing the old barrel and then threading to an odd ball thread on the barrel blank, I could just buy a new rifle. Not to mention the months and months of lead time. Why do that when I can just buy one of the many other rifles and when I want to rebarrel it just order one and put it on? This is why I posted to the OP in the first place. He can do his own research on it and decide for himself.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    jgs8163 likes this.
  8. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I've seen a few cows scale over 400 on the rail the largest bulls I've scaled we're right at the 500 lb mark. The average greater Yellowstone elk will scale at 250, average cows and 2.5 year old bulls will be at this.

djm670 likes this.
  9. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Member

My two favorite Elk guns are a Montana Rifle Co. 7mm WSM and I have a 300 WSM in a Ruger 77 with a nice Leopold scope that I paid $700 for used that knocks Elk down with no problem. Either one will work and has for me, never at 1000 yards but were I live we have trees. lol

rustyshackleford and corsair4360 like this.
  10. ATH

ATH Well-Known Member

Even with the best bullets under the best conditions 6.5s are right at the minimum expansion velocity for the bullets. Not my cup of tea. Who advocating this has actually shot an animal at 1000 yards?

I've killed multiple elk 600-800 yards, with 30s and 338s. The 338s simply hit harder, the 30s are adequate. Observing the 30s I have zero desire to test a 7mm or smaller beyond 600ish yards. Please share your actual experience shooting an elk at 1000 yards with a 6.5. "It's about placement" is 100% true; compare difference in wind judgement error between all these rounds and tell me what provides the best likelihood of proper placement.

If I had to choose one all around long range rifle it would be a 300WM or similar. It's fine for antelope, been there done that, just stay off the shoulder or you ruin half the meat. 1000yd elk is really a specialized rifle outside the scope of a "do it all" rifle. As for factory, it is really a lottery if you get one good enough to accomplish this, you are probably money ahead to build a Remage/Savage with a good barrel properly bedded into a good stock.

11. popgun240

popgun240 Active Member

12. popgun240

popgun240 Active Member

I still have around 150 Barnes Original 7mm 195 gr bullets. They shoot straight and penatrate unbelieveably. Sectional Density is .305 on these bullets. That like a 500 gr 458 bullet. I joke with a friend that these are best suited for that "Texas Heart" Shot. Recoil can be heavy in a 7mm Mag.

13. popgun240

popgun240 Active Member

14. popgun240

popgun240 Active Member

My shooting is done in Northeastern Nevada. Shots can be an easy 400 to 600 yards. The last Antelope we got was at 488 yards. My Mule Deer Buck last year was only 140 yards. Since I'm an amputee, I can't climb around the hills or Forest so I rely on the ability of my 300 Win Mag and my own ability to put the bullet where it counts. Basically, I've been relegated to being a road hunter so an accurate long range Rifle is a must for me. Add to that I'm 74 years old and am currently laying in a VA hospital after having a big Toe amputated. Right leg below the knee and big Toe on left foot. We have to do what we have to do. I wish I could go for a good Bull Elk but just can't traverse terrain. That's why I need a very accurate, long range Rifle.