Long Range 416 Rigby load.

Dave King

HUH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yup, I've got a new itch. I have a 416 Rigby and I've just in the last few days received my RCBS ($49.00) dies, 100 pieces of brass (Norma) and some bullets. I was looking for the Barnes high BC bullets but not having much luck

I'm gonna stick a 3.5 x 10 Leupold Long Range (M3 or M1) on it and load up some bullets. Gonna try 1000 yards just for kicks (no pun intended).

Loads like H4831 is the correct powder but I see RL19 and RL22 loads too.

Anyone got some good "safe" loads for the 416 Rigby with 400 grain Noslers or Hornady???

Dave,
I just got some 400 Hornady INTERBONDS yesterday, have not opened a box up yet but they might be a dandy bullet for LR.
Will work on getting some other LR boolits for you to try - I shot off a bunch of 350 Barnes before my Alaska trip last summer, could not find a load that little Encore liked.

look at accuratereloading.com. 400gr is a standard weight for the Rigby so should be available on the net. You can also use 416 Rem loads as a reference. The max loads would make "nice" start loads.

For a very different approach, how about cast loads? Lots of wonderful LR bullets used in the Black powder silhouette game. No issue with reaching 1000yds. Just takes a while. You could use smokeless load data to get the 400gr bullets going 1200 to 1500fps. Easier on the shoulder too.

Sounds like fun no matter which way you go...

Jerry

Jerry

Thanks for the link data.

I'm not one for using "reduced" loads in anything... If it don't kick I probably won't shoot it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd like to see the look on those fella's faces the first time they try to put the standard spotter pin in that .41 caliber hole... I'm gonna use the rifle for bear, elk, hogs, deer and such... just another rifle.

Dave,
I just opened one of the boxes of 400 Interbonds and they ain't LR bullets. Matter of fact I doubt if it would matter which end you seated - these suckers are roundnose. No sharp plastic tip like the rest of the Interbond family. They will hit hard but will have the b.c. of a trashcan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I hate bullets like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I thought round nose bullets went out with the end of the Springfield 1903 version of the 30-03 and it's 220 grain lead dowel.

Oh well... there's always the hope that the Barnes connection will come about... they're out there somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.