Long range 338 hunting bullets

I am shooing the 300gr accubond out of a 338 Lapua. It has a 28" benchmark barrel. I am getting consistent velocities around 2775 fps. This is with Retumbo powder (around 90.5 gr) and loaded 0.010" off the lands. I selected this bullet due to the bonded construction. I have used bergers in the past and have had marvelous success at long range with accuracy but after a run in with a bear (9 shots under 4 yards) I was not happy with the weak construction for close quarters work. The NAB has worked well on big game without coming completely apart out to distances to 800 yrds. I am getting 1/2 Moa accuracy out to 750. Haven't got to check further than that yet. The gun is still fairly new. I also worked up some loads (more guessed) for a sako trg-42. Powder charge was similar with similar accuracy. Hope this helps.

I am shooing the 300gr accubond out of a 338 Lapua. It has a 28" benchmark barrel. I am getting consistent velocities around 2775 fps. This is with Retumbo powder (around 90.5 gr) and loaded 0.010" off the lands. I selected this bullet due to the bonded construction. I have used bergers in the past and have had marvelous success at long range with accuracy but after a run in with a bear (9 shots under 4 yards) I was not happy with the weak construction for close quarters work. The NAB has worked well on big game without coming completely apart out to distances to 800 yrds. I am getting 1/2 Moa accuracy out to 750. Haven't got to check further than that yet. The gun is still fairly new. I also worked up some loads (more guessed) for a sako trg-42. Powder charge was similar with similar accuracy. Hope this helps.

good to know. im running a 26 inch barrel. i fear its a bit too short for the 300s although i have not researched much into the theory. im going to give the 250s a try. for now and may go back to the 300s. i may have a case of 300 accubonds up for sale soon :rolleyes:

I have a 1:9.4 twist on the barrel it is also a 3 groove rifling. I would think that twist rate and barrel harmonics would have a greater effect than velocity. I had a hard time initial with accuracy until I seated the bullets closer to lands. I also found that it likes a dirty bore. I goofed around with Barnes lrx in 265 gr. But didn't get anything better than 1 MOA, but I didn't try very hard. I was not overly impressed with the BC from the get go. I had good success with the accuracy with the Berger 300 gr, but they shot slower at the best accuracy node so it lessened the benefit of a better BC. I was hesitant to load these for meat hunting because of the fear of too fast of expansion. The controlled expansion of the accubonds have suited well. A shooting buddy uses bergers in his Lapua, he hit a wolf with an Berger OTM and poked a hole clean through but sent it tumbling from 600 yards. He hit a caribou at 950 with the hunting VLD. It hit just under the heart. It fragmented just enough (40% weight shed) that bullet pieces punctured the lungs and it bled out a short distance from initially hit. He is shooting through a 26" tube at about 2650 fps. 950 yards is getting close to the "magic" threshold of 1800 fps where all things strange can happen. Haven't tried anything beyond that threshold yet. I have yet to see what one of those bullets would do at close range. I would hate to be the guy who had to back up to shoot an animal to make a clean kill(purely jesting)
One other oddity of the accubond is the sound it makes when it hits a plate. I thought I missed the first time because it sounded like a hollow thud similar to hitting a tree.

I have a 1:9.4 twist on the barrel it is also a 3 groove rifling. I would think that twist rate and barrel harmonics would have a greater effect than velocity. I had a hard time initial with accuracy until I seated the bullets closer to lands. I also found that it likes a dirty bore. I goofed around with Barnes lrx in 265 gr. But didn't get anything better than 1 MOA, but I didn't try very hard. I was not overly impressed with the BC from the get go. I had good success with the accuracy with the Berger 300 gr, but they shot slower at the best accuracy node so it lessened the benefit of a better BC. I was hesitant to load these for meat hunting because of the fear of too fast of expansion. The controlled expansion of the accubonds have suited well. A shooting buddy uses bergers in his Lapua, he hit a wolf with an Berger OTM and poked a hole clean through but sent it tumbling from 600 yards. He hit a caribou at 950 with the hunting VLD. It hit just under the heart. It fragmented just enough (40% weight shed) that bullet pieces punctured the lungs and it bled out a short distance from initially hit. He is shooting through a 26" tube at about 2650 fps. 950 yards is getting close to the "magic" threshold of 1800 fps where all things strange can happen. Haven't tried anything beyond that threshold yet. I have yet to see what one of those bullets would do at close range. I would hate to be the guy who had to back up to shoot an animal to make a clean kill(purely jesting)
One other oddity of the accubond is the sound it makes when it hits a plate. I thought I missed the first time because it sounded like a hollow thud similar to hitting a tree.

i got a shot on a bear at about 25-30 feet with a 180 gr partition out of a 300 win mag. from my knowledge ( and please, someone correct me if im wrong) the accubond is a revamped version of the partition, so the bonded technology is similar. i have never weighed the bullet, but i think i will just to see what held on, but this is what it looked like at those velocities.

very surprised this didn't pass through. it was stuck right before the hide.

IMG_2784_zpsapvlypi8.jpg

IMG_2785_zpsl6ff8yx2.jpg

Partitions are very different bullets than accubonds. They have a jacket thats like an A with a core in the front and back. They can only expand to the partition in the middle and then the remaining bullet keeps penetrating.

Accubonds are a cup core bullet. They are bonded to control their expansion. If you shoot them fast enough and close enough they can and will come apart. Both have their place in hunting IMO.

Aaron

Partitions are very different bullets than accubonds. They have a jacket thats like an A with a core in the front and back. They can only expand to the partition in the middle and then the remaining bullet keeps penetrating.

Accubonds are a cup core bullet. They are bonded to control their expansion. If you shoot them fast enough and close enough they can and will come apart. Both have their place in hunting IMO.

Aaron

thank you for the information

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.