Long Range .30s

Let us know what one you choose.

change of plans I think I will go with the 300 dakota it checks out to be just a little better than the 300 WBY. the is the exact match case sise for 308 caliber at 94.8 grains of water max with no over bore
.308 X .308 X 1000 =94.8
THE 300 WBY IS 92.4

Last edited:
I have never fooled with the 300 dakota but if you don't like the cost of wby brass you are going in the wrong direction with the dakota. With all those rifles already I think you need a big 338. That is where I would go next if I were you. Best of luck to you with whichever you end up with.

I went with a .300 RUM, due to the brass being cheaper and easier to get. Plus it came in the rifle I wanted (Rem Sendero). I've always been a fan of the .338's, and would have probably went with a .338 RUM if the SF-II had been available in it. But I don't think there is a creature in North America that will shrug off a 210gr VLD leaving out at 3100 fps.

So I go with what a lot of these guys have said, get the .300 RUM. It was this site that influenced my decision as well.

LTLR is right about Dakota brass. It is spendy, but it's good brass and if you take care of it, you could probably get 30-40 firngs out of it, if you use bushings to size it and dont load it too hot. The 7mm and 330 (338) brass is made by Hornady and the 300 is made by Norma, so it's good stuff. But it's also about $1.65 a casing in lots of 100 or more. If you get 30 firings out of it, that's about $.06 per firing.

Mark

300 Dakota $1.65 a casing !!!! that sure puts that idea down the drain and beings I have 3 308 calibers I guess I should go with the 338 RUM.
thanks guys for your input.
I love this site.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts