Long Range .243 bullet

It would be interesting...................................as I just received my .243 AI and have not even started fireforming. I would lilke to find and use just one bullet and load

Since I received a deer tag for the late 043 area of Nevada. I have taken two really nice Mule deer with a muzzle loader but would like one with my new Rifle.

It has a Jewell tirgger on it and im excited about using it as I have heard so much about them.

thils is all new to me..............and Im anxious to learn more about it.

My next investment is a RF any idea's?

I have an older model Leica 1200 and it works great. What ever you decide on, be sure you can mount it to a tripod. It's hard to range long distance if you're shaking.

My next investment is a RF any idea's?

I would highly recommend the Bushnell Fusion 1600 Arc if you are looking to get bang for your buck. I've owned the Leica 1200, and have a bunch of time behind my father's Zeiss PRF. The Bushnell blows both of the other two out of the water for ranging capabilities. Bushy finally got it right. I have no troubles ranging deer out to 1300 yards (which is the farthest I've tried), and I can routinely range trees out to ~1850-1870 yards, or so. I suspect if I had a large, flat cliff face I could get readings beyond 1900.

The optics in the Fusion are middle-of-the-road, equal to the Vortex Viper series of binos, but the ranging is spectacular for a unit in this price range.

I have got 105 amaxes to stabilize in 1:9.25" twist 22" factory savage sporter barrels at 1430ft above sea level at just over 2900fps, they will definently stabilize in a 9 twist 243AI at the velocity its capable of. The bc on the new amp jacketed amaxes is noy quite as good as the older ones. The 106 clinch river is an awesome bullet as are the JLKs not shown in the picture. BIB also makes a 108 bt with just under a .55 bc, but they would have to be driven pretty hard to stabilize.

I think the biggest thing anyone could do for this thread is to provide some real world experience with the 105's being stabilized by a 1:9 or the 1:9.25 twist barrels....unfortunately I can't provide any input but I'm extremely interested in the answer as my daughter will soon be shooting a 243.

Brand new Rem 700 Varmint in .243 with 1:9.125" twist (my measurements show closer to 1:9.5", though), 200 yards, 3800 feet ASL, using a starting load that I threw together with no regard for the rifle's throat geometry or mag length. Here are shots 2-8 from the brand new barrel with the 105gr A-Max. Shot 1 was used to bore sight the scope at 35 yards (on another target), shot 2 was to get on paper at 200 yards, and shots 3-8 were fired into a 6-shot group. The group walked downward as the barrel heated up. Stability isn't a problem here. The 105gr A-Max does equally well in my old Sako AII .243 with a 1:10" twist, again at 3800 feet ASL.

l.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.