Long range 22lr

How was ur success with those rings? I have them on my ruger RPR 22LR. I was running them with the 0moa inserts, shooting eley subsonic hollow points I had ragged holes at 50 yards. I recently switched them to add 20moa more to the scope, I took it out and it was like a 3" group. I checked all the fasteners and everything is torqued to spec. I am thinking of switching back to the 0 inserts and see what happens
Groups well. Have not shot it over 100 yards yet. It was 50 mph winds so it had a good group about a ft off to the left lol

Super sonic 22 Lr has accuracy issues at longer range because the bullet is not going very much over the speed of sound, and when that bullet slows back down it goes from super sonic ( faster than the speed of sound) to subsonic ( less than the speed of sound) this transonic transition makes the bullet act unpredictable and can change its flight path at long range. That's the reason I'm shooting subsonic ammo as it never has to go through that transition.
Mark and Sam have a video that disproves this. I haven't tested myself but they do and it seems disproved to me. I think the main variance is that the high velocity stuff isn't usually very consistent as far as powder and bullet weight etc.

it'd be fairly easy to test yourself. standard or hv should be subsonic by 150 yards so go out and shoot groups at 200 see what happens

Mark and Sam have a video that disproves this. I haven't tested myself but they do and it seems disproved to me. I think the main variance is that the high velocity stuff isn't usually very consistent as far as powder and bullet weight etc.

it'd be fairly easy to test yourself. standard or hv should be subsonic by 150 yards so go out and shoot groups at 200 see what happens
They have some awesome videos!

Might try out my boys CZ 527 22 hornet. He printed three in a sub MOA group at 400. I think it might go sub sonic about 325 yards.

Groups well. Have not shot it over 100 yards yet. It was 50 mph winds so it had a good group about a ft off to the left lol
50 mph is breezy here. 😉
You're making me want to get a good bolt action .22 to try long range. I have a lot of .22 ammo. I used to mess around with my Marlin .22 mag at long range with different ammo. 200 yards was no problem but don't recall any further. I have a 6x24x50 of some kind on it. I forget. The Tika for $550 sounds tempting. I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor I haven't shot in a few years. I like it. Thanks for starting the thread....🤔

I have not seen evidence of this either comparing them with testing 50 yard increments to 200 yards where supersonic loads have already passed to subsonic. IMO, the greater benefit of subsonic target ammo over the high velocity ammo is that being match grade, it generally has a much tighter ES which does benefits at long range. I have stuck a happy medium using the Federal GM HV Match at 1200FPS. It produces the best results in my rifle at 200-400 yards.

I do believe studies have shown that for target/match shooting at typical ranges(50 yards), a bullet passing the sound barrier at or near the target will destabilize the bullet and effect the very fine target accuracy requirement(sub 1/4" accuracy) Much past this range, the poor ballistics of the low BC rimfire bullet appear to supersede and overcome this effect for shooting at the longer distances, and the differences are nil or none. IMO

Last edited:
I'd love to build a rifle to shoot the cutting edge 42 or 50gr CuRx bullets but that just makes 22lr more expensive and time consuming.

I don't think so ! Buddy sent me pic couple hours ago. I'm going to see what he knows about it. Looks like 22 cal. Bullet in a 50 cal. Case maybe.
Not trying to hijack thread. Sorry.
If it was for real it would be probably be about 6,000 fps or more and if it was twist rate of1:10 the bullet would spin apart after leaving the barrel unless it was a solid titanium /brass bullet - which is not being able to mix the two metals.