Long Range .22 Long Rifle

I don't know for sure but I think the Signature 3/8 and 11mm dovetail rings are only available for the 30mm tubes. Might want to check on that before purchasing a scope

Possibly some of you guys haven't been around long enough to know but at one time in this country 22 LR Rimfire matches were held at 200 yards on a regular basis! All shooting was from prone position and with aperture sights! IIRC scopes were allowed but were in a different class for awards! Top scoring ring was 2" and the X ring was 1" diameter! 20 rounds were fired for score. My best was a 198-14X.

Heavy barrel Ruger 10/22, 6.5X20 target turret leupold, Federal 40 gr solid. 13" steel disk at 400 yards. Awsome cheap fun!

Possibly some of you guys haven't been around long enough to know but at one time in this country 22 LR Rimfire matches were held at 200 yards on a regular basis! All shooting was from prone position and with aperture sights! IIRC scopes were allowed but were in a different class for awards! Top scoring ring was 2" and the X ring was 1" diameter! 20 rounds were fired for score. My best was a 198-14X.

That"s sweet! good shootin too.

Shooting long range with a .22 is ALOT of fun. Some of the best ammo i have found for it is Blazers and Peters believe it or not... I have shot ALOT out to 500 yards and those 2 are the ones that have stood out to me. One day i was shooting blazers at 500 yards and had everything dialed in to where i was holding cross hairs on target and hitting, then i switched to cci stingers. and aimed straight at it and was hitting. i was a little suprised. blazer 40gr 1235fps and the CCI 32gr 1640 fps needed the same adjustment.

And yeah its very good practice for shooting long range with other guns. You become super alert to any wind at all when shooting at extended ranges with the .22lr.

Have fun and let us know how it goes! gun)

Clayne_b

This has intrigued me. I am looking into a new rifle. I am thinking either a Savage mark II BV, Ruger 77/22, or a CZ 452. The savage is the cheapest and I have heard great things about that model. The Ruger is upgradable. Lots of choices. What are you guys using for optics? 1 inch or 30mm?

This has intrigued me. I am looking into a new rifle. I am thinking either a Savage mark II BV, Ruger 77/22, or a CZ 452. The savage is the cheapest and I have heard great things about that model. The Ruger is upgradable. Lots of choices. What are you guys using for optics? 1 inch or 30mm?

Myself and my son in law have bought three Savages, one MkII and two TR's. Al three shoot .5" at 100 yards with match ammo. Out of the box and no trigger work. Got rid of my Ruger, and never owned a CZ. 1" scopes are fine with elevated bases or Burris rings. I like the extended focus model Leupold 6.5x20 because it can handle the parallax on the closer shots and not distort the image as the HP rifle scopes do.

Myself and my son in law have bought three Savages, one MkII and two TR's. Al three shoot .5" at 100 yards with match ammo. Out of the box and no trigger work. Got rid of my Ruger, and never owned a CZ. 1" scopes are fine with elevated bases or Burris rings. I like the extended focus model Leupold 6.5x20 because it can handle the parallax on the closer shots and not distort the image as the HP rifle scopes do.

Good point, I didn't think of the parallax issue because my high power rifle scopes are usually shot at distances where it is a non issue. A scope with a focus is essential as many shots will be under the typical 100 yard parallax standard. I am thinking of something in the 4x14 power range.

Chalk one more up for the savage :)

Good point, I didn't think of the parallax issue because my high power rifle scopes are usually shot at distances where it is a non issue. A scope with a focus is essential as many shots will be under the typical 100 yard parallax standard. I am thinking of something in the 4x14 power range.

Chalk one more up for the savage :)

That scope power is fine . I use mine mostly in the 6-10x to simulate the sight picture that is comparable to those used for my big game shooting....

I have also recently gotten into the long-range 22 LR game and have had more fun with it than any shooting i've done thus far. I started with a custom Ruger Charger/Kidd barrel and PFI 3-9x Rapid Reticle. Shortly after i acquired a Magnum Research Picuda that i mounted another 3-9 PFI RR on and now a Chipmunk HUnter that has the Centerpoint 4-16x MD.

The Charger made a 2nd-shot connection on the "250-yd. coke can challenge" over at Snipershide, and the Picuda hit the 300 yd. bottle below on the 6th shot. The Chipmunk has yet to prove itself at long range, but i have high hopes for it. The Chipmunk has 2 .025" shims below the back of the base that should give me the most amt. of turret app. possible, from 50-yd. zero.

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_0726-1.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

Although the rifles are no doubt fun to use for this game there's nothing better than the "pistols"...IMO.

I bought two .22's already this year. One Beretta Neos, and a Savage MK II GL. I like to shoot as often as I can, but it can get expensive. I bring the Neos with me when I shoot my pistols so I can stay longer, and not break the bank.

I bought the Savage a trainer for my Savage 110 FCP-K. They both have the Accutrigger. I'm planning on putting an aftermarket stock on the .22 to match my Centerfire rifle. Any trigger time is a GOOD time, IMO.

Some more LR 22 pistol stuff copied from rimfirecentral--

Well, finally got to the range today and had a ball...with caffiene, sort of.

1st thing i did was measure the subtension of the plex reticle in the 2x Barska, and it was 14 MOA [7" at 50 yds.].

I then zeroed the rig by firing 1 shot and noting that i needed to come down and right 1 "plex unit" [14MOA]. So with the .5 MOA turret i ran 30 clicks in both ways and the next shot was within 1" of centered both ways. Adjusted 1 more click and hit the bolt head holding the steel plate on the frame--good enuf. Marked the zero on the spindle top with a red dot [see photo].

I then went to 150 and referenced my generic 22LR drop chart [.1 BC @ 1200 mv] and saw i needed 17 MOA to get to 150 yds. Ran the turret clicks in and got setup. I had an 8" plate set up and hit it about 80% of the time. That was fun. Then i rezeroed and checked the 50-yd. plate--hit dead zero [that made me very happy to see the turret returned to 0]. I then calcd the hold reference for the plex reticle as measured and i needed 17/14=1.2 "plex units" for 150. Got set up and repeated the turret performance moments before this time using the reticle [more fun].

I then referenced the drop chart again and saw i needed ~30 MOA to get to 225. Turned the turret back up and i shot the 15" plate then maybe 75% of the time [again fun].

Things may have been a bit better had i not been dealing with 4-7:00 5-10 mph winds.

I then set up my McDonalds coffee cup at the 225-yd. mark and NAILED THE SUCKER ON THE 2ND SHOT! I know...yeah it was luck, but that was still the most fun of the day so far, but it wasn't over yet...

I then went to 300 yds. and set up a Monster can, and adjusted up 50 MOA according to "22 LR generic drop chart," and believe it or not, it fell over on the 1st shot, and i stopped shooting, since i know the stars only line up for any one person only so long, but man it sure was a fun day--

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

Thks. for lookin'!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.