Long Range .22 Long Rifle

My 10/22 is stock everything. I'm shooting Remington Viper 36 gn. I get about an inch at 50 yd. I rest the rifle on a front sandbag resting on an ammo can. No bipod, no monopod. A re-re-scope and an ammo change will be much cheaper than $800. Probably around $225.

Firecat,

The BRJ is certainly a consideration. I'm wondering what the advantages are of a fluted barrel versus a regular heavy barrel. Two front swivel studs for me is something I can take or leave. For me, if I proceed, it would come down to which is the more accurate of the two rifles.

From the research that I have done, I have to believe the BRJ and BV are essentially the same rifle. I think that the BRJ is simply more elegant. The BRJ sports a Boyds stock and has a fluted barrel. I have a feeling that you could expect roughly the same accuracy from either rifle. The barrels seem to be around the same diameter.

I was thinking at first to put a 4-16x something or other on top. However, with a little more thought I think that I will put a 3-9x40 Nikon Buckmaster that I already have. I think that I will put a 20 MOA base and Weaver style rings. Perhaps Burris that will allow even more cant if needed. Should be ordering my rifle next week.

From the research that I have done, I have to believe the BRJ and BV are essentially the same rifle. I think that the BRJ is simply more elegant. The BRJ sports a Boyds stock and has a fluted barrel. I have a feeling that you could expect roughly the same accuracy from either rifle. The barrels seem to be around the same diameter.

I was thinking at first to put a 4-16x something or other on top. However, with a little more thought I think that I will put a 3-9x40 Nikon Buckmaster that I already have. I think that I will put a 20 MOA base and Weaver style rings. Perhaps Burris that will allow even more cant if needed. Should be ordering my rifle next week.

You are correct. The BV and the BRJ are the same barrelled action other than the fluting. The accuracy of each will depend on which ammo it prefers. Dad and I have 93R17s that each prefer different ammo, and don't shoot the other's ammo well at all.

I have a 93R17 with the BV stock, and I can tell you that I much prefer the thumbhole or would likely prefer the BRJ if I could purchase just that stock to install on my rifle. The BV stock has quite a bit of drop, and I'm more resting my chin on the stock than my cheek when I shoot it. Dad has the thumbhole for his 17 and I do on my Mark II, and the eye/cheek positioning is excellent for shooting. The BRJ is much higher and I suspect you may like it better. Definitely try each one before you buy.

Hmmm...and when you're using a 20 - MOA base with a large scope...yes the high stock is better. If the scope is high and the stock comb is low, you won't be able to hit the side of a barn - defeats the whole point of the exercise. Been there and done it with a Mauser M48. I got rid of it and put its scope on my Savage 10-FP. Would not want to go through that again on this project.

I have a 93R17 with the BV stock, and I can tell you that I much prefer the thumbhole or would likely prefer the BRJ if I could purchase just that stock to install on my rifle. The BV stock has quite a bit of drop, and I'm more resting my chin on the stock than my cheek when I shoot it. Dad has the thumbhole for his 17 and I do on my Mark II, and the eye/cheek positioning is excellent for shooting. The BRJ is much higher and I suspect you may like it better. Definitely try each one before you buy.

Boyd's Stocks makes these stocks for savage. You can buy them after market for about $100.00. Here's the link. They have all styles available including the thumb hole you mentioned.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-the-Savage-Actions-s/4.htm

Boyd's Stocks makes these stocks for savage. You can buy them after market for about $100.00. Here's the link. They have all styles available including the thumb hole you mentioned.

Replacement stocks for the Savage Actions

They sell the thumbhole, but based on their photos you really can't tell if the "rimfire target" stock that they sell is the same as the BRJ stock or not.

I'm already very close to buying a thumbhole stock from Boyds and selling the stock I have on the rifle.

I've been shooting long range 22lr for some time now. I shoot mostly at 200 and 300 yds with a success rate of near 100%, but if the winds die down I can hit the 400 steel maybe 40-50%. I shoot a 10 22, Green Mtn 20" barrel, Hogue stock and a $30.00 BSA 3-9X40 mil dot AO. I use CCI Blaser 22lr. Shooting a 22 in the winds of NE Oregon has really helped me judge wind when I shoot my centerfire rifles.

Get a bunch of guys together and give the long range a try, then listen to the stories grow.

CW

DSCN1657.jpg

I am now leaning toward the 10/22 upgrade, since I already have one. Changing the barrel is straight forward. So is changing the trigger group. I'm looking at the BSA scopes now - their 3x9x40 Mil Dot is $100. So for the extra $50 I might as well go for the 6x24 and get more magnification out of it.

Right now, I have a Simmons 3-9 x 40 on it and I got it zeroed at 100 yd. yesterday. It was originally at 50. The Simmons is fine at 50 and 100. Last time I tried it at 300, things got really dicey. With a 100-yd. zero, I'd have to raise the reticle 126 clicks to set it for 300. In mils, it's 9.63 - almost 10 Mil Dots. In MOA, it's 32.51. Here is where the 20-MOA base would be a great investment. For $40, I can now subtract 20 MOA from 32.51 that, leaving me with 12.51 MOA to have to adjust. That number puts me will within the range of five Mil Dots, so I could zero for 100 and hold Mil Dots to 300. I think the Simmons is too basic a scope to push those distances. It has a simple cross hair reticle and it doesn't take all the adjustments you click in sometimes. I think the Simmons is good for around where I have it. 300 is really pushing it, though I might give it another whack next time I go out there.

Speaking of BSA, they also make a series called "Sweet" which for .22LR has compensation drums for different bullet weights and out 300 yd. It's a simple cross hair, but you move the drum where you want it supposedly and you're dead on. The 6 - 18 model is $210, but you don't need a 20-MOA base. The 3-9 model is $150. But...if you want to practice working with Mil Dots, the Sweets are not Mil Dot and you won't get the practice of calculating and holding Mil Dots.

I am using the factory trigger group, haven't touched it. If you're looking for BSA 6-24x40 mil dot check Natchez shooting supplies, last i looked they were $50-60 + shipping, I have one on my Savage .223, love it. I am zeroed at 200 on the 10 22 and just use the mil dots to reach 300. I, too, am planning on the 20 moa base and more magnification, 4-16 or 6-24. Getting to 400 now requires me to re-zero to 300 and then use the dots.

Have fun with the changes you do to the 10 22, and shoot it for a while before you drop $200.00 in the trigger group. You might be surprised.

CW

I started shooting out to 500 yards with my .22lr with a cz 452 scout and a tasco 2.5x10 by i think 42 mm scope... in my mind really good accuracy! here is a video with that set up... no canted base. just adjusting and holding mills

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMFPS4r0sZE]CZ 452 Long Range - YouTube[/ame]

I now have a adjustable base that helps with holding cross hairs on target.. here is a video for that

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDt8IuFu6U]Variable Gantry Mount, .22lr 500 yards - YouTube[/ame]

that's a 8.5 inch target im shooting at.

Those are awesome videos! I liked in the first one how you went to all different distances from one shot to the next, and you were able to set those targets up in this space. At regular shooting ranges here, you only get one distance, no mid-range shooting, paper only. The longest distance I can go without traveling another 150 - 200 miles (on top of the 150 miles I usually go) is 300 yd.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.