long rang hand cannon

I have a custom rem XP-100 center-grip in 7.82 Patriot, SS Shilen 15.75 inch barrel, Vais Brake, tight neck chamber, sporter barrel for long range hunting. Has an H-S stock, 3-12 Burris LER with Ballistic Plex and moves a 180 SGK from the muzzle @ 2788 FPS. This is not fast compared to what many of you shoot, but it is a strong 700+ yard rig for me.

Ernie

weaverism,

I've discussed this subject years ago with the then manager of the deer heard in Illnoise, John Kube, (spelling?), and he basically said rifle bullets travel too far and Illnoise has to many large cities. I recommended they could close counties around these cities, further many other states with large cities allow rifles. It was like talking to a brick. I think it can be said another way, an idiot with a rifle is worse than an idiot with a shotgun. I've just finished posting my property, a lot of good that will do when these people go into a feeding frenzy. I'm about half afraid to patrol my lines. A neighbor woman was almost shot dead last year in my area. Maybe John has something. Over the years, these big city boys, (Chicago), have checked in goats, shot cows but the best one was a year or two ago one of them tried to check in a high dollar colt. We seem to have then all. Makes me sick!
db

Crow Mag, i belive that XPhunter forgot to tell you about his 1000 yd. rig a 6.5-284. The scope is the main problem, but there is a solution. XP put a 36X Leu. BR that has been modified by Wally Siebert to long eye relief. There is just about a 50% reduction in magnification as a result of the modification, but he still has 20X at arms length (not sure about the length of eye relief-- you'll have to ask him, i guess). But i'd believe this would be the way to go for a rig like that- certainly something to consider.

For bench deer hunting or field bench deer(big game) hunting the 20 power Leupold LER (Siebert Conversion) would work fine. The eye relief is much more critical than the 10x Burris IER's, but once you get used to it it should not be a problem.

Ernie

I am getting closer to making a decision on what cartridge and caliber to use for this project. I don't think that a 30 cal will have the energy I want at the ranges I intend to shoot this pistol. The 338 300g bullet has the best BC and most energy past 1000 yards. I just got some info on what king of velocity I would be able to get from a 338 Yogi and the 300g SMK in a 18" barrel, Quickload is saying 2480 fps. At this velocity the pistol would be capable of shots out to 1 mile.
Crow Mag

This was a 338 300g SMK at 1225 yards the velosity was 1650 FPS and 1831 Lbs of energy.
041977.jpg

also a pece of jacket I found on the skin of the deer on the exit side
041981.jpg

Crow Mag

Donham,

Here in the People's Republik of Illinois we too are limited to shotguns, bows, etc...no centerfire rifles. We just this year are allowed to handgun hunt, but the regs read 30 caliber or larger, straight-walled case, with a minimum 500 ft lbs. The straight-walled case wording concerns me. I haven't checked yet, but I'd bet that it's worded that way to eliminate bottleneck cartridges specifically.

Shotguns on the other hand don't have to be that debilitating unless you can't utilize rifled barrels. We can, and I have an Ithaca Deerslayer III that will shoot very well out to 100 yards. I haven't tested out to 150 yet.

[ 11-27-2003: Message edited by: Magnumdude ]

Can any of you wright and propose a new regulation to to the board of game to change that law, one that actually makes some common sense?

Magnumdude
Here in lower Michigan we have the same shotgun straight wall case thing. TC contender with SSK barelb in 444 marlin or 45-70 I shot 2 deer this year with a 45-70 one at 182 yards and one at 175 yards.
Crow Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.