Long overdue Clearidge test results

winmagman

Well I finally got a little time to get out and try a box test with the Clearidge ultra XP5 4.5x22.5. I'd like to tell you it was a perfect day to be at the range, but I'd be lying. Temp at 24 and winds blowing from the right at 10-15 mph made for a pretty raw day. Wind also made my cheapo portable shooting bench not so stable to shoot from. Prior to this test I had been shooting off the ground with a bipod and wanted to do the test that way, but vegitation prevented me from seeing the bottom half of the target.

Any way here's what I did:
Point of aim remained center bull throughout test,
All adjustments are moa,
Target is in 1" grid 12x12.
Ammo was my reloads in virgin brass (minimal prep, flash hole deburred, chamfered, loaded)

Shot 1 dialed up 5.75(6.02") and Right 5.75
Shot 2 dialed down 11.5(12.04")
Shot 3 dialed up 11.5 and left 11.5
Shot 4 dialed down 11.5
Shot 5 returned to zero

Repeated this sequence 3 times, except for shot 4 & 5 the last time around, out of ammo:(

I didn't confirm zero the first shot and probably should have, point of impact seems to be a little higher off the bench than the bipod. Also opted to shoot the corners of the grid instead of the 5 bulls to get more adjustment tested.

HPIM1107.jpg

I can't say for certain but I suspect this one adjusts a little more that 1/4 moa per click , however it seems to do so in a consistent manner. Also I'm just an average hunter not a bench rest shooter and that could be a large part of the results. I have to confess given the weather conditions and my limited ability I'm pretty darned pleased with this scope for the price.

Chris

thanks very much for posting your results. i agree, looks good. the last box test i did, i put the scope on my 22lr and shot at 25 yards. worked very well and i ran 30 moa on the verticle and 16 horizontal keeping the holes on a piece of 8 x 11 paper. please tell us your opinion after the season is over.

Thanks for the results. It looks good to me, considering the wind and the portable bench. I'm really leaning towards this scope for an upcoming project.

Thanks Winmagman for posting your results. I was confident that the tracking would be accurate, but just needed to have a non-bias tester.

I had one of these in my hands yesterday and I was quite impressed.

Turrets clicked well with no slop. The power adjust ring and side focus were smooth with no tight spots or gritty feeling.

The glass....I think this is what impressed me the most. Good clear glass, no yellow or brown tinting of any king and actually when I put them up against some older S&B's they were actually brighter, though the resolution of the S&B won hands down it wasn't by a large margin or $2000+.

They truly look like they are a good fit for budget minded optics.

The only thing I found odd was the fact that it has 12 MOA per turn. I've never dealt with anything other than 10 so it might take some getting used to.

Jon, I think you'll be receiving another order soon. Having one in my hands definitely sealed the deal.

Magman,

Thanks for the feedback. I feel we have a great scope with our XP5, not to mention all the other scopes that we are having manufactured. I feel that they offer excellent quality at a very reasonable price.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.