Long Hog Stalk in the Oats, Central Texas

Double Naught Spy

We have been hunting this property for the last few weeks. The oats field seems to be the only crops around in the immediate area and is a magnet for hogs and deer. The oats are about waist high in places, now overgrown with other weeds, and difficult to transit as well as making it difficult to see the hogs. Movement through the oats is a noisy process unless you go very slow. Also helping hide the hogs is the terrain that undulates across the field. To make matters worse, there are only 2 safe directions of fire (north and east) and the prevailing wind from the south, making it hard to come around behind the hogs.

So this is a tough spot to hunt, but has been very productive for us. Last night, the hogs were out when we arrived and we came in from down wind and eventually worked our way around to a viable shooting solution.

[ame]https://youtu.be/0UCUaCnCryI[/ame]

Double Naught,

Your videos are ******* me off. Do you really have to rub it in my face that there are no hogs to be found around here? I haven't killed a hog in over a year. I am even starting to question my manhood. Fortunately, I'm too vain to feel sorry for myself, and I've killed over a dozen deer in the last month helping a friend with a depredation permit for his soybean fields.

These hog hunting threads are my escape since the hogs have apparently boarded a Grey Hound bus to Canada where the weather is much cooler. We had a cold front come in last night - the high today is only 96 with a heat index of 104.

I thought of filming my hogs hunts should the hogs ever decide to return, but (1) I'm ugly and no one would want to see me , and (2) the shine of the camera light off my bald head would destroy the production value.

I'm glad that at least someone on this thread can find something worthy of killing.

cool vid. i'm with you scrambler, but in addition to excuses 1 and 2, i'll add that i don't know how to photoshop video, so that's a deal killer for me.

Well bless your hearts! I am just glad to have the opportunities. I hunted hogs for many months before I ever got a chance at my first one and I missed him. Things have come a long way since then.

Recently, we have gone through two periods of heavy rains resulting in a lot of flooding and the hogs are definitely roaming in higher numbers through areas that they might not otherwise roam...though this oats field appears to be a magnet regardless of the weather. I went back and looked at Google Earth images of the field and there are game trails through the field on the images from previous years. This place is just a honey hole, though an absolutely horrible place to hunt safely and efficiently. The reason there are only 2 safe directions of fire is that the other two directions are bordered by houses beyond the tree line. To compound matters, the other two directions sometimes have horses or cattle in the field around the oats (and cattle sometimes get in as well, LOL). We have been out there twice and just had to watch hogs because we could not move into position to shoot them and they would not move into a position where we could shoot them without endangering the neighbors or livestock.

It isn't all rainbows and unicorns, but some day I will get that body double to stand in for me!

DNS, I really enjoy your videos especially the "angry bird" references. Love your scope too.

Keep em coming!!

I don't know how to photoshop videos or insert my face on the body of Mr. Universe, but I don't need to. I've got two teenagers that I'll get to do it for me. Maybe I'll spend less time hunting and more time pretending like I do.

cool vid. i'm with you scrambler, but in addition to excuses 1 and 2, i'll add that i don't know how to photoshop video, so that's a deal killer for me.

Finally admitted that most of your pictures are photo-shopped, huh, djones?

Double Naught...Love the video's, however can't you get someone to replace that ugly, ugly guy that always comes on in the truck and replace him with someone like Sara X?.....:D

Packrat

Double Naught...Love the video's, however can't you get someone to replace that ugly, ugly guy that always comes on in the truck and replace him with someone like Sara X?.....:D

Packrat

dns - don't take that personally. he says that to me all the time and then pm's me and says he thinks i'm man candy.

dns - don't take that personally. he says that to me all the time and then pm's me and says he thinks i'm man candy.

See how he tries to twist what is said?...What I said is that he is a candy *** sniveler with more excuses than than a politician for not getting any hogs!....good try djones, but no cigar!

Packrat

Packrat.gif

In addition to my previous post, if i had to compare djones with any kind of candy, it would be an all day sucker!........................:rolleyes:

Double naught...Keep trying, I'm sure she'll come around and if not, there must be some pretty Texas gal you can hornswoggle (?????) in to it! You know being hornswoggled sounds kind of....well.....never mind, just go ahead and do it. You both may enjoy it!

Appeal to Sara X's musical side.....Can't wait to hear her do sooowwwiiiieeee! And although she is German, I'll bet she'd stand at attention when the Star Spangled Banner is played! BUT remember if she does agree, that her primary focus is to do the introduction rather than the whole show.

Packrat

Packrat.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.