Long gun carry options

Mcarso1

So I am shooting a CA ridgeline 26" barrel and looking for backpack or backpack style sling to carry on long hikes in and to help with spotting scope/tripod carry during scouting sessions. I see options out there but wonder what works best for you true hiking hunters with experience. I want to buy once cry once instead of trying a bunch of things that do not work well.

I run a Kuiu pack and frame which I am very happy with. They at least use to sell (can't seem to find it on their website just now) a little attachment system which runs the rifle vertically on the side of the pack. I typically run the rifle on my right side and my hydro bladder and tripod on the left for balance.

I know a lot of people like the Kifaru pack and their gun bearer set up which runs the rifle under your arm for quicker access. While I see the appeal, I am personally hiking too hard and too far to want that sticking out in front of me. For spot and stock with the pack on I can see the advantage, but if you are really backpack/mountain hunting I would figure out a way to attach it to the side of your pack of choice where it is out of the way.

Last edited:
So I am shooting a CA ridgeline 26" barrel and looking for backpack or backpack style sling to carry on long hikes in and to help with spotting scope/tripod carry during scouting sessions. I see options out there but wonder what works best for you true hiking hunters with experience. I want to buy once cry once instead of trying a bunch of things that do not work well.
Mystery ranch with a quick draw rifle sling for the pack.

I have tried the Mystery Ranch gun carrier setup and didn't really find any advantage to it over just using a sling. I now have the Exo gun carrier on the back of my pack for long hikes and "the claw" sling for when I'm hunting. I feel like there has to be a better rifle carrying system out there than what I have been using but haven't found it yet.

I have tried the Mystery Ranch gun carrier setup and didn't really find any advantage to it over just using a sling. I now have the Exo gun carrier on the back of my pack for long hikes and "the claw" sling for when I'm hunting. I feel like there has to be a better rifle carrying system out there than what I have been using but haven't found it yet.
What exactly is the claw?

The Vorn system is great. I wouldn't want to pack an elk out with mine, but for hiking and spot-and-stalk hunting it really does keep the rifle secure and quickly accessible while being hands-free. I've had my heavy and long 7mm in it and my little bitty 16" .308, as well as an AR. All work great, that 308 is hardly noticeable.

The one drawback is i am not coordinated or flexible enough to put the rifle back in without taking the pack off.

Get a KIFARU Gun Bearer to carry across your torso for instant use. This requires at least a daypack with a hip belt but it is by far the best system I have tried.

I've got a Kifaru and a Eberestock. I like the Kifaru better as it is more capable of hauling meat out. I secure the rifle along the right side vertically and the tripod on the left with the spotting scope in the pack. The Kifaru was definitely pricey. The Eberestock works okay for a day pack but I have a difficult time seating a long barreled rifle with a full size scope in it. When I try, the rifle stock sticks up pretty high and is some what awkward.

Most of my hiking hunting has been packing to a stand in the dark and sitting so I like both hands free while hiking and taking the time to remove the rifle doesn't bother me.

Eberlestock with a Kifaru rifle holster. Both hands are free. We hunt the National Forest and found that having both hands free while hiking in there makes for a much safer hunt. Butt sits in the holster and the barrel in held in place with the quick release black velcro strap. Cost $36.00. Very secure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 143
Kifaru used to make a pack called the Rambler. It has a built in rifle scabbard. You can sometimes find them used on forums. I believe they are going to release a new rifle hunting pack sometime as well.

I bought the Eberlestock Phantom. It can carry just about anything you can put it it. (more than I can) It works great for me, I can put all of my kit in it plus a long gun. The bag and scabard can be used together or separately which can be handy. I have even carried my Barrett M82A1 in it. Normal long guns are a piece of cake!
20201002_185020.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.