long distance shooting with a 458 socom

TXAoudadKlr

Well this weekend, I made a trip to my ranch to do some Aoudad and muflon sheep hunting. On Saturday in between hunts, I decided that I wanted to really stretch the stubby legs of my 458 socom. So I grabbed my spotting scope and went on the back porch and started looking for a target rock. I ended up finding a nice white rock about 2moa wide and a minute tall just a few yards back and left of the feeder that is right at 400 yards so the rock is at ~405-410 yards away.

After deciding that, that rock was going to be my aiming point, I called for my buddy to come and spot for me. I set the rifle up and recalled the drop I used for 300 yards I put 3moa in the gun...zero's it for 175 and held for 20moa in the reticle to compensate for the extra 100 yards of flight and held 10mao to the right for wind and released the shot. Soon after, Jake my spotter called out good for windage but you hit the stump which told me I was way low. For the second I held for 30moa in the reticle same wind call and let it fly it was still low but good for windage. After that shot, I couldn't help but go crap I'm out of hold in the reticle so I put an additional 6 moa in the turrets and held for the same wind for this last shot landed spot on for elevation but the wind had let up a tad and the shot landed 3moa to the right which I was able the impact. Regardless of not hitting the target rock to come that close at that distance with that particular rifle had me excited.

This was the farthest I have ever shot this gun out to. The gun is a RRA 458 socom mid length, harris bipod and a vortex viper pst 2.5-10x32 for the optic.

As for the hunt, it was unsuccessful. I spotted the muflon sunday night over 1200 yards away on a ridge and on Saturday afternoon I came up on an aoudad that was under the feeder as I was about to climb into my stand. I wanted to take a shot but off hand and only able to see his head and edge of his back due to the slight rise in terrain and brush I thought it would be best to not shoot.

Well this weekend, I made a trip to my ranch to do some Aoudad and muflon sheep hunting. On Saturday in between hunts, I decided that I wanted to really stretch the stubby legs of my 458 socom. So I grabbed my spotting scope and went on the back porch and started looking for a target rock. I ended up finding a nice white rock about 2moa wide and a minute tall just a few yards back and left of the feeder that is right at 400 yards so the rock is at ~405-410 yards away.

After deciding that, that rock was going to be my aiming point, I called for my buddy to come and spot for me. I set the rifle up and recalled the drop I used for 300 yards I put 3moa in the gun...zero's it for 175 and held for 20moa in the reticle to compensate for the extra 100 yards of flight and held 10mao to the right for wind and released the shot. Soon after, Jake my spotter called out good for windage but you hit the stump which told me I was way low. For the second I held for 30moa in the reticle same wind call and let it fly it was still low but good for windage. After that shot, I couldn't help but go crap I'm out of hold in the reticle so I put an additional 6 moa in the turrets and held for the same wind for this last shot landed spot on for elevation but the wind had let up a tad and the shot landed 3moa to the right which I was able the impact. Regardless of not hitting the target rock to come that close at that distance with that particular rifle had me excited.

This was the farthest I have ever shot this gun out to. The gun is a RRA 458 socom mid length, harris bipod and a vortex viper pst 2.5-10x32 for the optic.

As for the hunt, it was unsuccessful. I spotted the muflon sunday night over 1200 yards away on a ridge and on Saturday afternoon I came up on an aoudad that was under the feeder as I was about to climb into my stand. I wanted to take a shot but off hand and only able to see his head and edge of his back due to the slight rise in terrain and brush I thought it would be best to not shoot.
I'm not surprised. The 458 SOCOM drops like a Mortar round.

Sounds like a fun weekend even absent a kill.

Yep, despite neither one of us making a kill it was still a fun weekend. Got to see plenty of deer and get some post season scouting in at the same time. Figured out that even though we made a quite a few kills on doe's this past season were still way out of balance concerning our doe to buck ratio.

Yep, despite neither one of us making a kill it was still a fun weekend. Got to see plenty of deer and get some post season scouting in at the same time. Figured out that even though we made a quite a few kills on doe's this past season were still way out of balance concerning our doe to buck ratio.

You might want to consider contacting your local game warden or Texas P&W to set up a special youth hunt after the regular season.

They are always looking for ranchers willing to make doe hunts available for the youth hunting programs.

Nothing like guiding for a bunch of kids for a few days and helping them succeed to put a smile on your face.

My son used his socom this year to kill a cow elk @85yds. 350 sierra HP quarter size hole going in & volleyball hole on opposite size. All internal organs turned to mush.

Wildrose, Thanks for bringing that to my attention, that is something I am going to have to look into for next season. It would be great for all parties involved.

Wildrose, Thanks for bringing that to my attention, that is something I am going to have to look into for next season. It would be great for all parties involved.
I did it here 3 years in a row for a total of 38 does taken off of one 346 acre parcel.

My neighbors love me HA! This particular place is kind of in the center of three large places and deer are crossing it constantly crossing from one to another.

Always look forward to our Socom reports. Been having a blast with mine been using the 295 and 259 gr cutting edge raptors. Both have been flawless on pigs and deer. Just took a axis doe at 120 yards with the 259 they worked perfect. All five blades exited even through ribs and the base punched a nice hole. Haven't been able to stretch it out for lack of scope power.
You should also look into the vet or wounded warrior hunts. Ive also liked those because its hard to get people to give up personal hunting time to take out vets.
On that note if you guys end up doing it and need guides I will always make time to help out.

I was using a 300gr solid brass round and 350gr fmj's. I started with the 350's and ended with 40 moa of drop and landed 3moa right. The solids required about 35 moa of drop the wind kept playing me though. Landed spot on for elevation each time but was always too much right or too much left by a few moa.

Ive tried the 325 fix and they were really good at everything. They cutting edge just seem a bit more destructive. Ive got plans to work up some loads for those again for a cheap range slash hunting round. Here is the exit wound from 259 CEB at 123 yards.

Attachments

• socom.jpg
    socom.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 252
Ya the guide kept telling the other hunters he couldn't believe it. So they came over to see what I was shooting, and trying to figure out how so many exit holes were possible. I have been impressed with the ten or so animals I've take with it even a big Michigan doe Texas heart shot. Base of bullet exited couldn't find the petals. I was not able to skin it so I dont know if they exited or not deer only went about 10 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts