Lone Wolf VS. McMillian Stock (one pond models)

dimecovers3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can anyone tell me about the Lone Wolf and McMillian stocks that weight approx. one pound. I am wanting to build a top drawer ultra-light rifle and would like to know more about these two stocks. I think the McMillian is called "the Edge" (maybe) and the Lone Wolf is their classic style mountain stock. This will be going on a Remingtom 700 action. Would be very interested in texture, quiteness, fit and finish, etc,,

Thanks in advance

Bob Culbertson at Lone Wolf is absolutely the best in the business. I have his stocks on every rifle I own and would not hesitate to recommend his work to anyone. In November 1999 Precision Shooting magazine did an article on the Magnumlite carbon fiber barrel for which I developed the 3 relavent patents. The article told the story of the barrel development and the 25/06 which was the first gun built. The gun was originally professionally bedded into an HS Precision stock and shot in the .2's at 100 yards and in the .4's at 200. When sent to Bob for one of his Ultra Thumbhole stocks, the gun's groups were virtually cut in half. The gun now shot in the 0's at 100 (.083) and in the .2's at 200. From that moment on, I have owned nothing but Lone Wolf stocks and have never been anything but absolutely happy with the stocks and their performance. His carbon fiber bedding system is unbeatable. Write me an email if you have any questions regarding his work. Or, call him and tell him Dave Smith told you to call.

I couldn't agree more about Lone Wolf. If you have Bob bed your rifle, it is guaranteed for life, and his bedding job is REALLY TIGHT and GOOD. He even beds the action so tight that you can't believe it. His Summit stock weighs right at one lb. and is fit to your action. Only bad part is Lone Wolf is about 9-12 months out from dealing with your rifle. Good things take time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

the best light weight hunting rifle out there is the "sheephunter" from Mark Banzer.( I think ) a guy from the Allentown PA area.... but he is WAY over priced!!!

He makes hiw own stocks that are very lightwieght and tough...

Dimecovers2: I cannot comment on Lone Wolf stocks except to say that the end users are usually complimentary. I just purchased two McMillan Hunter's edge stocks. Fit and finish are usual Mcmillan quality. I dropped my M-700 .270 into one and the balance and feel is excellent and stock is very stiff. The other stock is going on a M-700 titanium short action. I have not yet decided whether to pillar bed receiver and/or full length bed barrel. If you check on this board under the Long Range Rifle Series, you can review Ian's comments on the Edge stock used on his GA-Lite .300 WSM. One obvious drawback, McMillan only offers the stock with a 1/2" pad, so if recoil is stiff, you may have to replace pad or endure.

An interesting side note, Ian sent his rifle to McMillan for bedding and they did a full length bedding job on a #3 barrel. Melvin Forbes at Ultra Light Arms is a big fan of full length bedding for the reason that barrel and stock work together to stiffen whole package. He further claims that full length bedding reduces the applitude of barrel vibrations allowing the shooter to shoot virtually all loads to the same point of impact. I would be interested to know if Lone Wolf uses a similar bedding philosophy.

I have a Bansner rifle with his High Tech stock. Nice rifle and good stock, but I prefer McMillan Edge for fit.

Dirtybob

[ QUOTE ]
the best light weight hunting rifle out there is the "sheephunter" from Mark Banzer.( I think ) a guy from the Allentown PA area.... but he is WAY over priced!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that Mark is a little or over priced, he's ridicules in his pricing. $4995.00 for a custom rifle built on a Remington 700 action is way over priced. $8495.00 if you want a Nieska Bay Action. All of his components are off the shelf, such as actions, barrels, triggers and his own stock.

Sorry, but for $1500 to $1750 there are a lot of extremely good gunsmiths that can build the same exact rifle as Mark. Actually they could build you three complete rifles for less than the price of his. It's not like he's guaranteeing .1 accuracy. His guns come with a sub MOA guarantee.

I called his shop about a year ago and asked what the price was to true a Remington action. Well $1400.00 to true a Remington action is waaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced in my book. And that's not installing a barrel, just truing the action.

Exactly what to you do to a Remington 700 action for $1400K. Most smiths charge a less than $200.00 to do the entire job. But $1400.00 dollars, here's your sign.

Just my $0.02 worth!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that Mark is a little or over priced, he's ridicules in his pricing. $4995.00 for a custom rifle built on a Remington 700 action is way over priced. $8495.00 if you want a Nieska Bay Action. All of his components are off the shelf, such as actions, barrels, triggers and his own stock.

Sorry, but for $1500 to $1750 there are a lot of extremely good gunsmiths that can build the same exact rifle as Mark. Actually they could build you three complete rifles for less than the price of his. It's not like he's guaranteeing .1 accuracy. His guns come with a sub MOA guarantee.

I called his shop about a year ago and asked what the price was to true a Remington action. Well $1400.00 to true a Remington action is waaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced in my book. And that's not installing a barrel, just truing the action.

Exactly what to you do to a Remington 700 action for $1400K. Most smiths charge a less than $200.00 to do the entire job. But $1400.00 dollars, here's your sign.

Just my $0.02 worth!

[/ QUOTE ]

I need some of whatever he is on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Dirtybob1, FYI, Lone Wolf pillar beds and floats the barrel. Bob prefers to float everything in front of the recoil lug. His forearms are very stiff because he uses alot of kevlar. I tried shooting a #2 Douglas custom barrel (which is what Melvin uses on his rifles)full length bedded as he recommends and didn't have good results. Went to a full float and gun shot great. Just goes to show that every barrel and combination can be unique. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.