Lone Peak Fuzion, Defiance Ruckus or Kelbly Atlas???

I have recently been researching for a 338 Lapua build. The Fuzion and Hunter actions are two of the finalists. I like the idea of the 3 locking lugs on the Fuzion. As long as they are equally bearing, they will give better support to the bolt and case head (tripod vs bipod), than a 2-lug design.

Two things I did want on the receiver were integral rail and recoil lug. An integral rail adds a lot of strength to the action, and you don't have to worry about it coming loose.

I do own a Kelbly Stolle action I bought in '81. My only qualm with it is the dovetail rail. You can't use it with a high recoil cartridge or heavy scope.

I feel that when someone asks a question as you have, most of the replies are from people extolling the virtues of actions that they own and use. This is probably because they are all of such high quality, that they are essentially equal, and you can't go wrong with any of them. The most critical part of all this is the smith putting it together, making sure that everything is square, and the receiver is properly bedded.

I think that someday I will own a Bat because of what I hear but at the same time I want it for a short action and not a magnum chambering because of what I hear. Too many reports of gulled lugs on Bats for me to be comfortable using one in a magnum build
I run them on everything from a 375 cheytac too 22 creedmoor ... all life coated melonite never seen lug set back or galling of any kind hunting in all kinds of conditions from Mexcio too Alaska ... But I cant say the same for a couple of the others ...

I also wont own a steel action that hast been melonited or DLC treated no matter who makes it..period

Last edited:
I have recently been researching for a 338 Lapua build. The Fuzion and Hunter actions are two of the finalists. I like the idea of the 3 locking lugs on the Fuzion. As long as they are equally bearing, they will give better support to the bolt and case head (tripod vs bipod), than a 2-lug design.

Two things I did want on the receiver were integral rail and recoil lug. An integral rail adds a lot of strength to the action, and you don't have to worry about it coming loose.

I do own a Kelbly Stolle action I bought in '81. My only qualm with it is the dovetail rail. You can't use it with a high recoil cartridge or heavy scope.

I feel that when someone asks a question as you have, most of the replies are from people extolling the virtues of actions that they own and use. This is probably because they are all of such high quality, that they are essentially equal, and you can't go wrong with any of them. The most critical part of all this is the smith putting it together, making sure that everything is square, and the receiver is properly bedded.

I'm pretty sure the Fuzion is a 2-lug action...You might be thinking of the Curtis?

Lone peak are 2 lugs and 90 degree's. Like mentioned you might be thinking of terminus or Curtis

I have a 300 mag built with a Kelbly atlas and #5 Krieger @25" in a AG alpine hunter
It weighs right at 10# with a heavy ish scope
Love that gun and the atlas is a great action

I've tried them all at some point or another. I run the steel Fuzions on my comp guns with 6 BR and Dasher. I've built a couple on the Ti action for buddies and myself. I've had Defiance built actions and the anTi. I've got more than one Atlas Tactical. I DLC's one of the Fuzion Ti's and Defiance actions, too. I've had titanium Pierce and Tuebor as well.

All are good actions. The real differences are the Kelbly's use a mechanical ejector. The Atlas is cheaper because the rail and lug are separate. The Nanook and Prometheus are integral like the others. The Nanook is within an ounce or so of the anTi and Fuzion Ti. I've got two Kelbly Nanook SA's and one Prometheus LA on order. The Nanook's should ship in a few weeks and the Prometheus in early March.

The Defiance built actions I had were from 5-6 years ago and the bolt fit was tight. It would easily bind if not run straight in. They've since made their bolts .001-.002" smaller and that's really a non-issue. The anTi was perfectly timed and was real nice to run.

With the weight of the steel anTi and Nanook actions I see no reason to spend the extra on titanium.

I'd be happy with any of them. I'd buy based on availability, weight (if that matters) and if you want a mechanical ejector.

I've either had or run chambers for most all receivers out there.

They are all pretty close.

Pretty hard to go wrong with the one's you are considering- I would tend to lean towards the Defiance line.

I am going to purchase a Kelbly Nanook when they are available- want to try one out to formulate an opinion.

I own three Kelbly's Atlas, two longs and a short. I prefer the mechanical ejector. Have used Pierce, BAT, Defiance, Stiller.

I'm in the process of putting together a mid weight rifle build. It's going to be a 300 win mag to replace my current 300 that weighs in at about 13.5 lbs. I'm not a fan of super light rifles so I'm aiming for a 10 lb rifle complete with scope.

So the first question is can that weight be pretty easily achieved with an action that will weigh 30-34 ounces? I don't have any interest in going titanium with the action, and would like to stick with a good stiff steel action design. I have a carbon wrapped Bartlien barrel, 2 lb carbon fiber stock and Hawkins BDL bottom metal for this build to keep weight down so I think I can hit my goal regardless of action weight.

The Lone Peak steel Fuzion has my interest because I hear nothing but positive reviews and that it will most likely be the smoothest action out there. I would get the Alpine cut version to save a few ounces and make top loading easier.

The Defiance actions have had my attention for quite awhile and to be honest I just love the look of the Defiance Ruckus Hunter with the bridged integral rail. I feel this design would be plenty stiff while still shaving some unnecessary weight from the rail area as well as making top loading easy.

The Kelbly Atlas Tactical is another action that's been high on my list for a while. I love the idea of the mechanical ejection and in a lot of internet searching have found very positive reviews of the action. I know this action is about $400 cheaper then the other two I'm interested in but seems it will still be as solid and accurate of a performer as any I choose. Saving the $400 is not a priority but can certainly help me put more funds into other areas.

So guy's if you could give me your experience and opinions on which action you would choose and why I would appreciate it.

Thank you for your help
Joshua
I have a Defiance deviant in a 6.5saum and a kelbly atlas in 6mm creed. Bothe are fantastic actions. The Defiance is built tighter and therefore doesn't do as well in dirty hunting. The other action I have no experience with. The surgeon 591 is also a great choice but not mentioned as much in blogs. I have used one on a bench rifle for years, 6.5x47L. So many great actions so little time!😆

I'm in the process of putting together a mid weight rifle build. It's going to be a 300 win mag to replace my current 300 that weighs in at about 13.5 lbs. I'm not a fan of super light rifles so I'm aiming for a 10 lb rifle complete with scope.

So the first question is can that weight be pretty easily achieved with an action that will weigh 30-34 ounces? I don't have any interest in going titanium with the action, and would like to stick with a good stiff steel action design. I have a carbon wrapped Bartlien barrel, 2 lb carbon fiber stock and Hawkins BDL bottom metal for this build to keep weight down so I think I can hit my goal regardless of action weight.

The Lone Peak steel Fuzion has my interest because I hear nothing but positive reviews and that it will most likely be the smoothest action out there. I would get the Alpine cut version to save a few ounces and make top loading easier.

The Defiance actions have had my attention for quite awhile and to be honest I just love the look of the Defiance Ruckus Hunter with the bridged integral rail. I feel this design would be plenty stiff while still shaving some unnecessary weight from the rail area as well as making top loading easy.

The Kelbly Atlas Tactical is another action that's been high on my list for a while. I love the idea of the mechanical ejection and in a lot of internet searching have found very positive reviews of the action. I know this action is about $400 cheaper then the other two I'm interested in but seems it will still be as solid and accurate of a performer as any I choose. Saving the $400 is not a priority but can certainly help me put more funds into other areas.

So guy's if you could give me your experience and opinions on which action you would choose and why I would appreciate it.

Thank you for your help
Joshua
Well you have an old lady here who has been shooting for some 65 years and loading for some 52 and is a NRA Certified Instructor as well as having spent 30 years in the Army, 25 of them as either a dedicated marksmanship instructor or as an additional duty. If you are dealing with a 300 Win Mag I suggest that you don't waste your money on some custom thing that will cost you thousands when there are factory offerings that are thousands less and will shoot just as good or better than your custom rig. I have a Browning AB3 in 300 WIN MAG, wood stock, 26 inch barrel before muzzle brake bringing the overall barrel to 28 inches that after a bunch of difficult barrel break in shoots way sub MOA groups with 180 grain hunting ammo and weighs in at 9 pounds with a Vortex Diamondback 6 x 24 x 50 on top of it. Overall cost is around $1000. If I had to do it all over again I would get a Tikka T3x in 300 WM and top it with the same scope which would weigh in around 7.5 to 8 pounds and with a muzzle brake will kick like a .243. It will be shooting sub moa out of the box. Face facts guys, the only reason to build a custom rifle is to say that I designed it. You probably didn't build it, you sent it out to a gunsmith to assemble it for you. While spending thousands of dollars on your pet, what is the resale worth? Probably less than half of what you spent on your wonder rifle, which will pretty much only be valuable to your next of kin after you depart for that big hunting ground in the sky. Better off with a factory model that everyone knows than some pipe dream that means nothing to anyone else.

I have a lone peak Fuzion (TI) and love it. I agree that it's not as smooth cycling as some defiance I've used, but I attribute that to the titanium. It's definitely a rougher metal. And as usual, I have to just recommend you get something with an integrated rail. Especially for hunting. I've seen 3 rails come loose on rifles. One was 10 miles in the back-country, and my buddy had to kill his buck with my gun. If he would have been solo, that would have been a long hike out.
It's not your imagination, TI is more porous and doesn't finish as well because it is so hard in comparison to steel. Something like Machinegunner's lube with HBN will help but it's just never going to have the same feel as steel.

Well you have an old lady here who has been shooting for some 65 years and loading for some 52 and is a NRA Certified Instructor as well as having spent 30 years in the Army, 25 of them as either a dedicated marksmanship instructor or as an additional duty. If you are dealing with a 300 Win Mag I suggest that you don't waste your money on some custom thing that will cost you thousands when there are factory offerings that are thousands less and will shoot just as good or better than your custom rig. I have a Browning AB3 in 300 WIN MAG, wood stock, 26 inch barrel before muzzle brake bringing the overall barrel to 28 inches that after a bunch of difficult barrel break in shoots way sub MOA groups with 180 grain hunting ammo and weighs in at 9 pounds with a Vortex Diamondback 6 x 24 x 50 on top of it. Overall cost is around $1000. If I had to do it all over again I would get a Tikka T3x in 300 WM and top it with the same scope which would weigh in around 7.5 to 8 pounds and with a muzzle brake will kick like a .243. It will be shooting sub moa out of the box. Face facts guys, the only reason to build a custom rifle is to say that I designed it. You probably didn't build it, you sent it out to a gunsmith to assemble it for you. While spending thousands of dollars on your pet, what is the resale worth? Probably less than half of what you spent on your wonder rifle, which will pretty much only be valuable to your next of kin after you depart for that big hunting ground in the sky. Better off with a factory model that everyone knows than some pipe dream that means nothing to anyone else.
There's a fair point here to be considered.

If/when for whatever reason you or your heirs choose to sell your custom rifle you're probably going to take at least a 30-50% beating when you do.

It's not at all uncommon for guys to end up taking less for the rifle when they sell it than they spent on the parts.

On the flip side, a custom coming from a good shop is going to come with guarantees you'll never get from one of the bigger manufacturers.

I'm not at all concerned about resale value myself because I have no desire to ever resell any of my custom rifles and if my heirs decide to they deserve a good beating.