Lone Peak Fuzion, Defiance Ruckus or Kelbly Atlas???

Lonewolf74

I'm in the process of putting together a mid weight rifle build. It's going to be a 300 win mag to replace my current 300 that weighs in at about 13.5 lbs. I'm not a fan of super light rifles so I'm aiming for a 10 lb rifle complete with scope.

So the first question is can that weight be pretty easily achieved with an action that will weigh 30-34 ounces? I don't have any interest in going titanium with the action, and would like to stick with a good stiff steel action design. I have a carbon wrapped Bartlien barrel, 2 lb carbon fiber stock and Hawkins BDL bottom metal for this build to keep weight down so I think I can hit my goal regardless of action weight.

The Lone Peak steel Fuzion has my interest because I hear nothing but positive reviews and that it will most likely be the smoothest action out there. I would get the Alpine cut version to save a few ounces and make top loading easier.

The Defiance actions have had my attention for quite awhile and to be honest I just love the look of the Defiance Ruckus Hunter with the bridged integral rail. I feel this design would be plenty stiff while still shaving some unnecessary weight from the rail area as well as making top loading easy.

The Kelbly Atlas Tactical is another action that's been high on my list for a while. I love the idea of the mechanical ejection and in a lot of internet searching have found very positive reviews of the action. I know this action is about $400 cheaper then the other two I'm interested in but seems it will still be as solid and accurate of a performer as any I choose. Saving the $400 is not a priority but can certainly help me put more funds into other areas.

So guy's if you could give me your experience and opinions on which action you would choose and why I would appreciate it.

Thank you for your help
Joshua

I just completed a 264 Win Mag improved with a Kelbly's/AG Composites/28" Proof Sendero/Hawkins M5 DBM/ARC rings and Vortex LHT 4.5-22x50. It finishes out right at 10# with a Silencerco Harvester suppressor attached.

275491E1-8809-4D55-B7CB-C995315F811D.jpeg

I have two Kelbly Atlas Tac, two Lone Peak Fuzion (Ti), and several Defiance (Deviant and AnTi X, the Ruckus is basically the same as a Deviant). Most of mine are Nitrided actions except one Lone Peak Fuzion is Cerakote action body/nitride bolt.

The smoothest actions are the Kelbly Atlas Tacs. Hands down.
Next are the Defiance Deviants.
Next are the Lone Peak Fuzions (the Ti might have something to do with it a touch).
Last are the Defiance AnTi (the extra deep flutes seem to chatter a touch over the rounds in the mag).

However, the only drawback to the Kelbly Atlas Tac is it is the only action that the recoil lug and Picatinny rails are not milled into the receiver. They are pinned separate pieces if that matters to you. When the new Prometheus comes out in a long action, that will eliminate the separate pieces, but no release date for a long action Prometheus has been announced yet.

Also, while the mechanical ejector sounds good, there are times you have to run the bolt pretty good to get the case to flip out fully. I get a lot of cases that hang up in the action when I open the bolt slowly. It is not a deal breaker, but can be a PITA if a quick 2nd or 3rd shot is needed and you have an empty case still in the action. Could be the two cases I am running in them (25SST/6.5SS), but I have the same/similar cases in other actions (6.5SS/7SS) with a spring ejector in the Defiance AnTi and Lone Peak Fuzion Ti that this does not happen in. I think Kelbly has an alternative spring ejector that this would fix, I just have not inquired about it yet.

Last edited:
I have another Lone Peak Fuzion build going on right now, as well as a Defiance Deviant build.

But my next short action I buy will be the new Kelbly Prometheus once it is released.

I have a lone peak Fuzion (TI) and love it. I agree that it's not as smooth cycling as some defiance I've used, but I attribute that to the titanium. It's definitely a rougher metal. And as usual, I have to just recommend you get something with an integrated rail. Especially for hunting. I've seen 3 rails come loose on rifles. One was 10 miles in the back-country, and my buddy had to kill his buck with my gun. If he would have been solo, that would have been a long hike out.

Just wanted to bump this thread to see if I get anymore opinions?

I know the smiths on this forum talk about an action having proper ignition to not leave any accuracy on the table. Is there any opinion on which of these 3 actions are top notch or better then the other in this regard?

Thanks again for your help
Joshua

Have you considered other actions? The Pierce steel long action would be a great choice. It will meet your weight and it's a very smooth action with great ignition.

Yes I have a Pierce 800 long action on my 338 Norma mag improved build and it is great. I felt it was the best of the oversized actions for 338 lapua sized chamberings and am not disappointed.

The only reason I don't want to go Pierce in this build is to try another top action out.

Yes I have a Pierce 800 long action on my 338 Norma mag improved build and it is great. I felt it was the best of the oversized actions for 338 lapua sized chamberings and am not disappointed.

The only reason I don't want to go Pierce in this build is to try another top action out.
That's fair enough. If you change your mind let me know. We have made some nice improvements over the past couple years and some new ones in store for 2022.

I think that someday I will own a Bat because of what I hear but at the same time I want it for a short action and not a magnum chambering because of what I hear. Too many reports of gulled lugs on Bats for me to be comfortable using one in a magnum build

I have zero experience with lone peak so can't help there but hear they have very similar feels to a impact which I own. I also own or have spent a considerable amount of time with 2 defiance deviants (1 stainless and 1 dlc'd), and own the kelbly as well.

Of the two on your list the kelbly is definitely smoother then either the deviants, and has a lighter bolt lift and overall smoother/lighter entire bolt cycle. The defiances feel more robust and indestructible compared to the kelbly. Not that the kelbly feels cheap or anything.

I actually love the mechanical ejector and never experience failure to eject unless I pull it it back slow enough to try and make it stay in there, otherwise it always just lands beside me at the range or flings 40' if I'm running hard lol.

I personally prefer the idea of integral rail and lug but the kelbly has proven to be one of the nicest actions I've owned in every way and for the money it's incredible.

If the lone peak and impact has the same feel then the lone peak will be great. The impact is also smoother then the defiance but feels more robust then the kelbly. It's not quite as smooth as the kelbly and not as solid as the defiance as per feel.