Locks for your gun safe

Thanks again for all the good info. I think I'm going to order a new digital lock this week. Sounds like it is a fairly easy install if it only takes an hour or so.

most of the newer manufacturers state they are EMP "proof" but who knows. The only real negative of the digital lock is now the wife will be able to open the safe and see what is in there is she wants. She might either go shopping herself or try and cut my nuts off....but at least she doesn't have a clue what guns and rifles cost. Just about everything in my safe "only cost about $500" Well that's what I tell her anyways. Not sure if she actually believes that or not

Is is fairly simple..it takes me about 15 minutes.
I would think where you may have the most issue if you will... is the re-locker system...that is the part that will lock you out if your not careful.
If your replacing an S&G Mechanical with their electronic it all has the same footprint inside and outside.

There isn't much wrong with what you have...just having a hiccup...once fixed it could last another hunnid

Last edited:
You can buy a new G&G 6730-100 from Amazon for just under $120. EBay also has them. There are some better S&G combos out there too. I have replaced two old ones (really old) and it was easy. They provide instructions on how to set the combo you want and the tool to do it with. Not had a problem in the five years or so since changed.

Things go bad over time - not knowing much about S&G combo locks I had a local lock-smith replace my 14 year old S&G with another S&G combo ($125). Good advice to not lock safe up with failing combo lock. My old S&G had much use over 14 years plus some moving damage, the lock was filled with powdered sheet rock & dust. The lock smith did not have a good opinion of digital combo locks; if the battery fails on some of them, one of the handles is unscrewed & a key is used.

I have a Diebold safe for important items other then firearms. My wife can easily open the safe's rotary combination lock every time. I can NOT open this safe. Even when she watches over my shoulder to ensure that I properly turn the dial it just doesn't open. ?????????????

When I bought a Browning gunsafe I ordered the digital lock. Works great!

Things go bad over time - not knowing much about S&G combo locks I had a local lock-smith replace my 14 year old S&G with another S&G combo ($125). Good advice to not lock safe up with failing combo lock. My old S&G had much use over 14 years plus some moving damage, the lock was filled with powdered sheet rock & dust. The lock smith did not have a good opinion of digital combo locks; if the battery fails on some of them, one of the handles is unscrewed & a key is used.
When I purchased a gun safe about 5 years ago it was available with a digital or rotary lock. I called a local lock-smith and asked about his experiences with either. He said he has more service calls on digital than the S&G rotary locks........so I choose rotary. Slower to access but was hoping for better long term reliability.

I called a local lock-smith and asked about his experiences with either. He said he has more service calls on digital than the S&G rotary locks........so I choose rotary. Slower to access but was hoping for better long term reliability.
pretty much my experience as well. They (electronic) aren't a serviceable item either, except for KABA MAS and I can get or have just about every part for an R6730.

So you're saying I should replace with a new "old fashion" lock? I don't mind the rotary dial lock but like the idea of the digital for ease. I also don't want to have to cut open the safe if a digital lock fails.

So you're saying I should replace with a new "old fashion" lock? I don't mind the rotary dial lock but like the idea of the digital for ease. I also don't want to have to cut open the safe if a digital lock fails.
not me...I'm telling you the lock that is on there isn't a throw away lock and it can be fixed easily. Probably with just a combo reset.
a DIY would cut a safe open...a professional would use a 1/4" hole

I switched my dial out for an AMSEC ESL20, it's been really nice.
You can program in additional codes for single use if you need to let someone into your safe, but don't want to have to change your combo.
It was around 200 bucks if I remember right, easy to change them out.
My locksmith sold it to me, he said he's had better luck with these than the cheaper ones.
My dial lock locked up on me, luckily it happened when the safe was open.

It's most likely the numbers your using ... one should be low, another medium to high and another in-between ... plus vary the odd and evens. Surprised the locksmiths didn't mention that ...