Loaning a rifle?

mdslammer

Hi Guys,

I have a very good buddy who's moving up to Homer, Alaska later this month.
He plans on hunting with a few friends while up there.

My question is, can I ship my Marlin .45/70 to him to use while he's up there?
If so, how should I go about this? Is it necessary to ship it to an FFL dealer or
can I just send it to his mailing residence?

Should there be some type of written documentation from me stating he has
my permission to use this firearm. Or is this not necessary?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best.

MDslammer
Las Vegas, NV

With the whole hoopla going on over backround checks and the fact you are going interstate, I would THINK you would need to go the ffl route. It's the fact of possession, regardless if you get any compensation.
As for a note giving permission.......unless the rifle is registered to you in Nevada, it wouldn't be needed. You are actually transferring the gun to him.

You could, and should, call the batf office and inquire with them, just to keep both of your butts out of jail.

With the whole hoopla going on over backround checks and the fact you are going interstate, I would THINK you would need to go the ffl route. It's the fact of possession, regardless if you get any compensation.
As for a note giving permission.......unless the rifle is registered to you in Nevada, it wouldn't be needed. You are actually transferring the gun to him.

You could, and should, call the batf office and inquire with them, just to keep both of your butts out of jail.

The rifle is registered to me in NV.
Is loaning a rifle to someone in another state considered "transferring" the rifle to him?
There is NO compensation involed. I'm just letting him borrow my rifle for hunting.
When he's done, he'll return it me.

Yes, you are transferring it to him. Who has possession and control of the rifle? You are wanting to send your rifle across state lines to a resident of another state that is not a relative. People go to prison for stuff like that.

Like I said, call the batf office. They will give you the answer you seek. It's not a big deal to call them, they won't come beating your door down

Yes, you are transferring it to him. Who has possession and control of the rifle? You are wanting to send your rifle across state lines to a resident of another state that is not a relative. People go to prison for stuff like that.

Like I said, call the batf office. They will give you the answer you seek. It's not a big deal to call them, they won't come beating your door down

Thanks for the info.

Why do you want to lend him a rifle ? How/when are you going to get back ? What condition is it going to be when and if ? And if you transfer it , isn't it his gun ? WHy should he care what happens to it ? Thanks for the free gun .. See ya???? He sold it for a $100 and tells you, he lost it , fell into a glacier. lightbulb

Why do you want to lend him a rifle ? How/when are you going to get back ? What condition is it going to be when and if ? And if you transfer it , isn't it his gun ? WHy should he care what happens to it ? Thanks for the free gun .. See ya???? He sold it for a $100 and tells you, he lost it , fell into a glacier. lightbulb

He happens to be my best man at my wedding.You know absouletly nothing about our friendship
that goes back over 30 years dude.

He grew up with firearms and has lived in many areas of the country. Currently
he's been in the Pacific Northwest. His firearms are in excellent conditon and well maintained.
He know's how to take care of his guns.

If it is transferred to him so what. When he's finished using it, he ship it back
and then it will be transferred to me.

Finally, you know absoulutely nothing of my friends character to assume he would sell my gun and then tell me he lost it.

In the future, if you can't post something constructive or offer some positive
information / help, keep your negative comments to yourself.

Obviously you have more than one hunting rifle so why not let him take it with him when he leaves? It would be much easier that way. I would also check with a local FFL holder to find out the shipping laws. You may find that no paper work is involved when he ships it back. Just box it up good and tight and send direct to you. I would think if there is no transfer of ownership this would be no big deal.

Obviously you have more than one hunting rifle so why not let him take it with him when he leaves? It would be much easier that way. I would also check with a local FFL holder to find out the shipping laws. You may find that no paper work is involved when he ships it back. Just box it up good and tight and send direct to you. I would think if there is no transfer of ownership this would be no big deal.

He's in Vernonia, OR in an RV park. I'm here in NV. He'll be heading out on the road in a week or so. He should be getting to AK in about a month. My best bet is like you and others have suggested. Ship it from an FFL here in NV to an FFL in AK.

I'll probably use Wild West Guns here in Las Vegas, NV and have them ship it to their store in AK. He has to go thru Anchorage on his way to Homer, AK.

Thanks.

yeah the separation of you and him really throws a monkey into the wrench. With him driving thru Canada is another twist. He would have to have the paperwork to cross the border. A few $ spent will be the best way for sure safe shipping.
I know several people from Alaska and they all want to go back. Personnally I don't see it. It may be the prettiest place on the planet but I can't take the cold. I would rather it be 100 degrees than 30. I only need a couple cooler months for hunting season then I am good.

The only time paperwork is not needed when a long gun crosses state lines, is when you send your weapon to a FFL in another state for him to work on it, and then they send it back to you. Other than that, it has to go to a FFL with a form 4473. Coming back, the exact same thing, since he is in possession and you are not a FFL. FFL fees should run $30-40 each way. No big deal...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts