Loads for my new toy??

G

OK guys--
I need some preferred loads for my new mid to long range Elk rifle. It a is a SS M700 built by John Ricks--Trued and lapped with a 27" #5 Pac-Nor SuperMatch barrel pillar bedded into a McMillan Sako Varmint Stock, tuned factory trigger and Leupold 4.5-14x50 LR Tactical with a fine duplex. It is chambered in .338 RUM -- I am not goung to show favor to any one bullet--Whatever shoots the best will get the nod--It isn't throated long enoughfor 300 SMK's, but the 250's will work--It is a repeater annd loads MUST fit in the magazine. I won't hunt with a single shot in the area we hunt--too many Grizzlies
grin.gif
grin.gif

Here is a snapshot of the new addition...
pubimage.asp

[ 01-07-2003: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

That is one nice looking rifle. Hate to be the barer of bad news though. You need a minimum of a .375 Ultra when hunting in grizzly country. Just to show you the kinda nice guy I am, I'll take that rifle off your hands for a minimal fee. Wouldn't want any claw marks marring that stock.
grin.gif
For loads I've had good luck with 250g Partition Gold Molly Free pushed by 90g RL25 using Fed 215M's to light the fire. 92g of RL25 at the tail end of 250g Sierra Game Kings also are super accurate, almost as good as Matchkings. Good luck with your new baby!

Hey Chris I have similar caliber 300um/.338
slightly longer version.I am sending you some
of my data, start lower and work up,my gun has free bore so these loads will give higher pressure in guns without free bore.
You probably already know this but you can't be too safe!! Also you will most likely get
less velocity. You have a good looking rifle
and I hope it shoots great,good luck!!

sniper2--
Got the email loads-- thanks--they will really come in handy when I start some load development... CJ

Good deal Chris, hope they are of some assistance,the 300gr. sierra is excellent
for long range paper punching, some even take game with it!If you will, let me know how your rifle eats the loads and some vel
comparisons. Thanks and good shooting

Good deal Chris, hope they are of some assistance,the 300gr. sierra is excellent
for long range paper punching, some even take game with it!If you will, let me know how your rifle eats the loads and some vel
comparisons. Thanks and good shooting

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: sniper2 ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.