Loads for 7mm-08 and 140 Berger VLDs

frankinaustin

Howdy - If you have an acceptable load that you have discovered for yourself in 7mm-08 shooting 140 gr Berger VLDs, could you share that? Also include your COAL, which I know will be different rifle-to rifle. Many thanks to all!
Frank

Howdy - If you have an acceptable load that you have discovered for yourself in 7mm-08 shooting 140 gr Berger VLDs, could you share that? Also include your COAL, which I know will be different rifle-to rifle. Many thanks to all!
Frank
frankinaustin,
Please go to our main page on the BERGER bullet website . Under the INFORMATION tab click on TECH TALK and scroll down to read Erics article "VLDs , making them shoot". This will give you the seating depth testing procedure that we found that works for our VLD bullets. You are right. All rifles are different so you will have to test to find your seating depth accuracy sweet spot. What powder(s) are you looking to use please?

If there is anyone else who is not employed at Berger has a load that they would be willing to share, it would be appreciated. If you wish, send via PM.
Thanks - Frank

4350, 4831, 4064 all worked well for me. I load Hodgdon mainly for the temp stability but I did try varget as well. H4895 would be a good 1 to try. I would give it a go. I have it too but I use it in my 204.

The main reason people are posting the seating depth link is that so many people get different results with the same bullet. Personally on my 7-08 it was .015 off the lands. CBTO or AOL is likely going to be different depending on how your chamber and throat were reamed so it really is not applicable to post.

I will try and grab my pet load data tonight when I get home. However, if you want to save yourself a bit of time in reloading, do a ladder test. It is really pretty simple and reveals quite a lot about overall accuracy nodes for a given combo. Go to the dollar store and get some colored permanent markers. Color the tips down to the ogive. use darker colors. Shoot 300 to 500 yards at a LARGE target (3feet by 3 feet) with white wrapping paper and a 2" or so dot as the hold point. I write down the color of the bullet matched with the charge weight. For example. red- 46 grains 4831. blue -46.5 grains 4831 etc. Shoot the rounds. Go down range, change your target, shoot next ladder test. Pretty simple.....I assume you are familiar with the process.

I've had great success with Varget and the 140 VLDs in my 7-08.

Mine likes them jammed 0.010" running around 2830 fps out of a 22" Barlein with a 1-9 twist.

If you have time, Varget will give you very good results. If not IMR 4350 is a great fail safe. Velocities will be on slower side but accuracy will be there. Go to any manual and the max load usually works for me with my '08 in 140gr bullet with that powder. Work up carefully as each rifle is unique. As per Berger advice, don't waste your time chasing the lands.

I definitely would, but again, each rifle is unique. In my experience with them that is a safe start and probably ending place. Keep me posted