loads for 7 ultra 180 vld

harfman99

I am trying to figure out if it is going to be worth going to 180 bergers in my 7 ultra. I am now getting 3420fps with 97 grns of T870 behind the 168 berger. the barrel is 31" and was wondering If anyone had any good loads with the 180 and how fast you are pushing them?
Thanks Chris

You should be able to get 3250-3300 with the 180's. If I had a 7 mm Ultra, and would if I did already have a 300 and 30-378 Wby, I would shoot the 180's. Awesome combination. I have to shoot a 240 SMK in my 30-378 to beat its ballistics.....and not by much.

I didnt have my chrongraph set up but I was running the 180s this weekend through my new 7 RUM. I was just breaking in the barrel and starting load workup just to get a general idea of what was going to work. I have a 29 inch barrel and was able to get to my 800 yard target with 12.5 or 13.5 IPHY (cant remember which it was but you can figure an estimate on velocity range using those figures) I was using 92.5gr of retumbo. This was an upper end load and I was geting a slight extractor mark. I didnt get the long range accuracy I was looking for loaded to magazine length. Funny thing was that it shoot some tiny groups at 100 using the 180s.
I will probably play with the seating depth a bit and try to reign the groups in. I guess I can load them long since I forgot to open the feed rails when I put it back together.:mad:
I tried some H50BMG but started too low, apparently my lot of powder is a bit slower than QL's predictions as the necks sooted up pretty bad primers were still rounded and no cratering.
I had about 80 rounds of loaded ammo for a another 7rum I own that shot pretty well in this new gun using the 160 accubond and 94.6gr of retumbo. I suspect that I could get the 160s shooting really well....but I want the added BC of the bergers and really like what I have seen them do to game.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.