Loads for 280AI - is 175 too heavy?

175 EH hitting the range in a few min for first time in this rifle. RL26 first. Max load is a gr or so below data given to me by Berger. Want to be careful on first run with Peterson brass. Also Berger max for the 175 is where I hit pressure in last rifle with RL26 and HVLD. Hopefully this rifle will go bang. I waited 6mo for it.

I just got home from shooting. Rifle is a Remington 700 Gen 1 Sendero that was originally a 25-06 Rem and is now a 280 AI with 25.5" 1/8.5 twist barrel. Just because I was given some, I loaded up some 180gr Berger VLDHs with IMR 7828. I was pleasantly surprised with the way they shot. I ordered the barrel as an 8.5 twist in anticipation of running heavier bullets. Unfortunately nothing has shot well other than 150gr NBTs up to this point. The 180s are now begging for more tweaking. Two, 3-shot groups at 100 yards. One before and one after scope adjustments.

Attachments

• 20200801_180829.jpg
    20200801_180829.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 158
I just got home from shooting. Rifle is a Remington 700 Gen 1 Sendero that was originally a 25-06 Rem and is now a 280 AI with 25.5" 1/8.5 twist barrel. Just because I was given some, I loaded up some 180gr Berger VLDHs with IMR 7828. I was pleasantly surprised with the way they shot. I ordered the barrel as an 8.5 twist in anticipation of running heavier bullets. Unfortunately nothing has shot well other than 150gr NBTs up to this point. The 180s are now begging for more tweaking. Two, 3-shot groups at 100 yards. One before and one after scope adjustments.

Better than mine did today. I had scope adjustment problems and was cleaning it for break in. shot .75 ish for 2 groups. Going to jump the 175's a little more tomorrow. If RL 26 does not work well will try 23. Would like to see this bullet work but will move on if needed. Need instruction on the zero stop on a Zeiss V6 worse than need a load at the moment. With a 20 MOA rail, I was out of downward elevation from the get go. 8.7 twist on this rifle. Bighorn SR3 action seems very nice. have an SR2 and this one seems much smoother.

Better than mine did today. I had scope adjustment problems and was cleaning it for break in. shot .75 ish for 2 groups. Going to jump the 175's a little more tomorrow. If RL 26 does not work well will try 23. Would like to see this bullet work but will move on if needed. Need instruction on the zero stop on a Zeiss V6 worse than need a load at the moment. With a 20 MOA rail, I was out of downward elevation from the get go. 8.7 twist on this rifle. Bighorn SR3 action seems very nice. have an SR2 and this one seems much smoother.
There are a couple of good videos for the V4/V6 on YouTube. You'll need to take the turret cap and the next piece that contains the zero stop off. Then you can adjust as much as you need. Have a screwdriver or quarter handy

There are a couple of good videos for the V4/V6 on YouTube. You'll need to take the turret cap and the next piece that contains the zero stop off. Then you can adjust as much as you need. Have a screwdriver or quarter handy
Will check it out. Thanks!

I like the versatility of the 280AI. As I start researching various reloading options, maintaining velocities 3000+ fps for 120 through 160 grain bullets are possible. Knowing I would drop close to 300 fps, should I bother loading 175's for distance? Any load advice for a heavier bullet in the 280 ackley?
tagging in on thread

I used Lance's data for the 175 Berger EH and RL-23 and I'm getting 2940 fps with a 24" barrel. I switched to Peterson brass and I'm a full grain under than Nosler brass with no pressure signs.

Interesting I use the same load in mine at 58gr of R23 out of 24" proof and I only get around 2830fps with 175 elites. This is based on drops as I don't have a chrono. That's with 100-125 rds down the tube, there's a chance it speed up a litttle still.

We Killed a cow elk with it yesterday and mule deer the week before, so I like the combo.

The 175 LRAB are shooting equally as well at 58.5 gr R23. I haven't stretch this load out to see how it compares at distance yet

Like was stated, the '06 sized case is very often underrated in today's society, where everyone wants magnums because of the whole "bigger is always better" philosophy. The .280 AI is an awesome cartridge, and one of my personal favorites.

168 VLD's or Elite Hunters would be about the perfect combination of weight and velocity. But I will tell you this, most .30-06 ammo is for 180-class, so I wouldn't see you losing too much velocity with going with Berger 175 Elite Hunters.

If you have a 1:8 twist, I would also try the new Berger 195 Elite Hunters.
This is an older thread but thought it was worth a shot. Have you ever loaded 280 AI with a bullet weight of 195? I have some Berger 195 EHs but can't find any load data for them. You happen to have any info on this?

This is an older thread but thought it was worth a shot. Have you ever loaded 280 AI with a bullet weight of 195? I have some Berger 195 EHs but can't find any load data for them. You happen to have any info on this?
Read this thread you responded to, there is info with the 195's.

Recent Posts