Loads for .260 Remington 1:9 twist

derrelw

I just had a new 22" Douglas XX barrel installed on my Savage 11 FCNS. My first 30 loads were 43gr of IMR 4350 pushing SMK's at COAL of 2.850" (20 thou off the lands). I'm very happy with the 1/2" groups at 100 yards to start but want to hear if anyone has ideas for loads w/ 120-130gr. bullets for the range and hunting. I also have some Nosler Partitions I'm planning on using for Mule deer and Antelope this season.

Thanks!

I am loading for two 260 Rem guns. One is my Remington Model 7 with a 22 inch Hart barrel and the other is my hunting friend's Savage Model 10 with a 24 inch barrel.

My friend took a deer at 200 yards with a 130 grains Accubond loaded with RL-19 powder in RP cases and WLR primers. This is an outstanding load for deer and other game. It is very accurate and the 130 grain Accubond did a number on the deer. I have shot a similar load in my Rem. Model 7 with good results, even though I have not used it to take a deer.

Another good load I have shot is 129 grain Hornady SP, and 43.7 grains of H4350 this has been a very accurate load in my gun.

I thought my Hart barrel had a 1 in 9 twist so I did not try 140 bullets in it for some time. I loaded some 140 SMK's for my friend since his gun has a 1 in 8 twist but he never got around to shooting them. One day I shot them in my guns and would you believe my gun loved the load. It shoots 140 grains SMK's great.

Reformed lake city 308 brass, about the same capacity as lapua brass, 125grn nosler partition, 44grns H4350, Fed210M primer, 2.825" oal, will take 44.5-45grns to duplicate this velocity in remington cases, runs 2980 from a 24" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.