Loading rifle with dillon progressive

ODAVID

Does anyone here load their rifle loads using a dillon progressive 500b loader???? I am interested in doing so and would like helpful suggestions in the setup and any suggestions in using a body die or neck sizing die????

I am considering using a powder dispenser which is helpful in load development.

share your experiences.

Thanks
odavid

i use one for all my "high volume" cal's. (.223/22-250/220 swift) and use DILLON carbide dies if available . I have used it up to 30-06, but the larger (longer) the cae to more chances you have of powder spills. The dillon powder disp. is very accurate, especially with ball/flake/short cut powders. I resisted a progressive until i realized most of of the shooters on the line in high power events used it. Glad i bought one years ago, and have about 8-9 complete tool heads (with dies/powder measure) complete, so change over is a matter of minutes. Also use the hell out of it for handgun loading.

Thanks for your experience. I understand a very accurate shooter named tubbs uses a similiar setup as I am planning on using. I am sure others have used the progressive dillon also, I look forward to their suggestions. Some I know use two separate tool heads that they alternate between 1) for sizing and depriming case prep and 2) for actual loading. Also some use different tool heads for specific bullet combinations.

Lets hear from others
thanks odavid

I use mine to load .308 after having FL resized them elsewhere. I'll also use it to load 30/06 when I have time, also FL resizing them elsewhere. Since these rounds will be used in gas guns, I can't neck-size them. I use a Hornady bullet seating die as the sleeve lets me position the bullet w/o my fingers getting in the way.

I use a Quick-Measure powder measure for rifle as it handles stick powders well.

IMG_0759.jpg

ive loaded 10s of thousands of rifle rounds on dillon 550s, 650s and hornady lnl presses. I do all my 223, 762x39 and 50 beowolf on them. Ammo for my bolt guns is usually still done on a single stage press though. I rarely load more the 50 rounds at a time for the bolt guns so it just isnt nessisary.

load my 308's after FL sizing in my 550, but mounted a RCBS Uniflow for better control of the stick powder - besides I'm too cheap to buy the larger rilfle power slide.

If you don't use a carbide die, there's a small chance you might contaminate powder charge with sizing lube. I don't use the dry spray, so don't take the chance. Have loaded several thousand .223's with carbide dies and flake powder, and it works very well.

I owned a Dillon XL 650 for more than 20 years (sold it last year). Loaded thousands of rounds, all of it was for high volume usage calibers. All my handgun and 223 & 300 Blackout ammo was done on a progressive. When it came to rifle rounds, I was always an accuracy nut - even before I got into LRH. Other than those mentioned above, all my rifle reloading was done on a single stage press. I strive for uniformity with my ammo - right down to hand weighing every charge, mic every round, check for runout on every round etc. I call it being meticulous, my friends call me fanatical. They are usually right.

I do it in batches, I run it through one of my lnls with a case feeder with the small base sizing die in place and nothing else but the dillon trimmer set up in the third stage. I size primer and trim it. I then use a dillon swadger to remove military crimps if needed. After im done doing all that i throw it in the tumbler and take the previous batch thats allready tumbled and go back to one of my lnls which is set up again with a case feeder and with a powder measure and bullet seating die in place. I use nothing but ball powders for loading progressively. Its to easy even if your watching to get a charge that bridges in the measure and gives you a squib load. Ive tried about every powder measure made and never found one i truely trusted for stick powders. When i use stick powders i use my pact or lyman digital dispensors and weight out every charge. With two presses set up like this i can rattle out lots of ammo and its good ammo. My understanding after talking to dillon is there carbide die is not a carbided die. All it has is a carbide expander ball so that it comes through the neck with less resistance. I have and use one for both the 308 and 223. By the way the large slide that comes with the dillon is plenty big enough to do 223s and 308s. At least it is using ball powders. If you know someone other then dillon who is making a true carbide die for 223s or 308s can you send me a link? It must be expensive as the dillon dies with just the carbide expander sure arent given away.
load my 308's after FL sizing in my 550, but mounted a RCBS Uniflow for better control of the stick powder - besides I'm too cheap to buy the larger rilfle power slide.

If you don't use a carbide die, there's a small chance you might contaminate powder charge with sizing lube. I don't use the dry spray, so don't take the chance. Have loaded several thousand .223's with carbide dies and flake powder, and it works very well.

I have been thinking of mounting my redding 3br powder measure. I am wondering how you were able to do this, and also if it is throwing automatically or if you are doing it by hand each time.

Throwing manually is easy, since I don't need to bell the mouth of the case. Just thread the Powder measure into either #2 or #3 position.

Throwing automatically is not as simple. Dillon or someone makes (made) an adapter to allow the mounting of a brand X thrower into the Dillon powder die. Had 7/8" top female thread with collar bottom to the powder die, with extension for the caliber power die insert.

Also, if you use LEE, their (can't remember exact terminology/name) disc powder measure for the Pro 1000 has the same capability as Dillon's, but comes with standard 7/8"-14 die threads. The repeatability isn't bad if you are loading a lot of plinker/non-bug hole rounds.

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys. I appreciate the help.

In my web reading I see some make the final tightening adjustment to their dies after putting all three( or 4) brass in each station and lowering the handle then tightening the lock nut. This allows less varience and decreases runout. Does anyone else do this??????

Does anyone simply change out tool heads once everything is set up????

I am sure we can all benefit by sharing helpful suggestions. I see no reason in reinventing the wheel. I just want to learn helpful advice.

I would like to hear more on lubing cases?????

THANKS
AGAIN
ODAVID

for myself, I set up each die indivdually, in succession from 1 thru 4, and then check the result on the first full set of bullets as they progress thru the press. Haven't thought about doing the other way, and may try that just to find out if I've missed something.

I do change tool heads as I change calibers, but I'm somewhat anal, and have a tool head already dialed in for the calibers I usually load in my 550 - btw I run three, one each for small and large primers, and one for new stuff/calibers/tests. If you get to changing tool heads among presses, and changing primer slides, sometimes things can get out of whack. Maybe the throat dimensions vary slightly?

Good luck,
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.