Loading Berger 180gr Hybrids

FearNoWind

My "missing manual" is a long story. I won't bore you with the details. But has anybody got a Berger manual handy that can give me the load range data for the 180 Hybrid Targets on top of H4831?

My "missing manual" is a long story. I won't bore you with the details. But has anybody got a Berger manual handy that can give me the load range data for the 180 Hybrid Targets on top of H4831?
FearNoWind,
+1 on bigngreens question.

Duhhh !!!!!!! :D
I feel like an idiot ................
.284 Winchester. Thanks guys
FearNoWind,
No sweat. We have a load for H4831 SC :
START= 46.5 MAX = 51.5 Approx velocities are 2400 to 2678. 103% approx fill ratio so its a compressed load. AS ALWAYS START AT THE 46.5 AND WORK UP. Hope this gets you going!

START= 46.5 MAX = 51.5 Approx velocities are 2400 to 2678. 103% approx fill ratio so its a compressed load. AS ALWAYS START AT THE 46.5 AND WORK UP. Hope this gets you going!

Well, Phil, I loaded some up for today and am pleased with the results. 46.5 didn't have much to offer. But then we didn't really expect it to :)

I ran a series of loads from 46.5 with .5 grain increases and found two nodes - one at 47.5 with .375 moa and another at 49.5 with .5 moa. 49.5 had more vertical than I'd like. I did also find a promising group at max load but I can't be sure because it has a horizontal component that may or may not work out with minor seating depth adjustments. I may work with that later. No MV data ... I broke my Chrony

Well, Phil, I loaded some up for today and am pleased with the results. 46.5 didn't have much to offer. But then we didn't really expect it to :)

I ran a series of loads from 46.5 with .5 grain increases and found two nodes - one at 47.5 with .375 moa and another at 49.5 with .5 moa. 49.5 had more vertical than I'd like. I did also find a promising group at max load but I can't be sure because it has a horizontal component that may or may not work out with minor seating depth adjustments. I may work with that later. No MV data ... I broke my Chrony
FearNoWind,
How much vertical at 49.5 as compared to the 47.5 load?

FearNoWind,
How much vertical at 49.5 as compared to the 47.5 load?

The vertical on the 47.5 was about .25. For the 49.5 it was the spread of the group at .5. The difference in the groups on target is that the 47.5 was a nice clover leaf while the 49.5 simply stacked in a straight vertical line. Admittedly, that could have been caused by shooter input so I will give it another run next time out.

The vertical on the 47.5 was about .25. For the 49.5 it was the spread of the group at .5. The difference in the groups on target is that the 47.5 was a nice clover leaf while the 49.5 simply stacked in a straight vertical line. Admittedly, that could have been caused by shooter input so I will give it another run next time out.
FearNoWind,
Yeah, test it again at a longer range. Both charges. If you can get access to a chronograph. The load with the lowest SD would be the way to go. If they are both an SD of 10 or under it may be a wash. Let us know sir!

FearNoWind,
Yeah, test it again at a longer range. Both charges. If you can get access to a chronograph. The load with the lowest SD would be the way to go. If they are both an SD of 10 or under it may be a wash. Let us know sir!

Sorry for the delay, Phil. I ran both loads this morning. Results were very revealing.
The 47.5 load maintained its group fairly well but with an average MV of 2396 and an SD of 23 the overall results were disappointing.
The 49.5 load also maintained its group fairly well, opening up just over .050, but the average MV was 2518 with an SD of 5. "Five" - now that's what I'm looking for.
So I'll work with seating depths at that load range and see how much I can tighten the groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.