loading berger 130 vld in my 264wm

dadsboy

Has anyone loaded these things? I have them seated out to 3.45 and still not sure I have hit the lands in my new 264 M70. I'm kinda new to reloading so go easy on me. Any suggestions would be great!

get a dry erase marker and color the bullet, then chamber it and watch for distinct circumferential dashed marks that would indicate touching the rifling. There will probably be a lengthwise line from extracting the cartridge, ignore that.

You will feel a camming action when closing the bolt on cartridge against the rifling.

or, get a hornady LnL gage and modified case.

Another option is to take a junk case and use a dremel to cut a slit lengthwise along the cartridge. Start at the case mouth and move south just into the shoulder. The idea is to have enough neck tension that the bullet will sit in the case without falling out. Seat the bullet long and chamber the round. The bullet will hit the rifling and slide into the case as the bolt closes.

Measure the COAL length and go from there.

Stole this pic from the net. One slit should do:

Recent image by rifleman55 on Photobucket

I live near Norwich, NY. I tried a few different seating depths with the 130s without much luck. Same, or slightly better results from sierra 130gr. I think I have settled on 123gr amax since they're giving me a clover leaf @ 100 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts