Loading bench set up ideas

Gray R

Hey guys as the title suggests im wanting to see some setups. I did a thread search and the top hits were better than ten years old so I thought I'd ask again. I'm having a buddy build a bench for me and I was wondering if y'all could post pictures of your set ups so I could steal some good ideas. And also just advice and ideas would be great. Thanks for takin the time

LRHcustomsearch_zpsa1485285.jpg

The first thing is do you want to sit or stand when loading. Be sure to get the height that is comfortable, So you can work efficient and safe. Make sure the table is stable and take the pressure of the press. A heavy top that will stand the torque a press will put on the table and top is a must. Make sure you have some good shelves to put tools and equipment when not in use near the table or above the table. Have enough electric outlets to run any equipment without chords in the way. If necessary put 3 or 4 receptacles in a panel board on the back of the table. Flexible lights, Lighted magnifying glass, Wall wart for electronic scales. Case prep tools. the list goes on for electric needs. A safe storage area away for the bench for powder and primers. A Steel plate 1/2 thick with holes drilled and tapped to match the bolt pattern of each press would be handy if you use more than 1 press. (Bolts straight from the top, No chasing nuts and washers under the table top. Take a look at some Carpenter Work Bench plans may give you some ideas. Good Luck in this project.

1 sheet of plywood cut 2'x4' at Lowe's, doubled the top, one piece for the back, one for a bottom shelf. Had a small area to work, so the top has an array of T-Nuts to mount trimmer, thrower, bench primer. The nut and bolt bin is a must. My old bench had one shelf and a 4x4 piece of pegboard that was pretty handy.

bench_zps7dcd754c.jpg

No picture. Several years a go was helping my daughter move. She had an old oak desk (one like you use to find in a class room for the teachers desk). She was just going to haul it off to the dump. It ended up in my reloading room as my reloading bench. Lots of storage, good and heavy with a nice flat top for all the necessary tools. Works great. I thank her every time I reload.

Barrelnut. A shooting friend of mine got one of those tables and set it up as his loading bench. I was helping him one evening. We came up with an idea, mount case trimmer, powder measure or any small tools on a wooden base. Then just clamp it in the vise for use. When finished just loosen the vice and put it back on the shelf.

A view of loading area from a couple years ago. I've since extended the bench to the far wall and moved three racks over for more space while rifle pistol loading. Although its pine from local mill its reinforced at Rock Chucker and bolted to wall studs to hold in place. I prefer a tall bench with bar stools and when standing it's at a practical work height. The nut bolt organizers, Red an yellow are great for press parts and such. The yellow is prepped brass and far red right is bullet holder. Under bench is all my hulls and wads in tupper ware bins with rollers.
Opposite this bench is 8' of counter top and cabinets. That is brass prep area and gun disassembly, cleaning, scope mounting, etc. area.
Far wall is metal racking all powder, dies, ammo boxes, primers, loaded ammo, range equip and misc. stuff.
After three homes and 30+ years this where I'm at. Hope it helps
2011-07-08_11-27-59_859.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts