Loading a .307" bullet in a 30-06 Winchester case.

newfiefFisher

I just purchased 4 boxes of Hornady SST, 30 CAL..308" 165 grSST bullets. Box product nubber 30452.
I have been intending to reload a bunch of ammo for my Sako A7 Stainless 30-06 Springfield using Winchester Cases. The problem I have run into is that all 400 bullets measure excatly .307". My gun has an 11" twist and a 22 3/8 lenght.
The questions are" Will I be able to shoot these .307" bullets in my 30-06 and will I be able to develop an accurade load out to 300 to 400 meters?
Your comments are much welcome.

I just purchased 4 boxes of Hornady SST, 30 CAL..308" 165 grSST bullets. Box product nubber 30452.
I have been intending to reload a bunch of ammo for my Sako A7 Stainless 30-06 Springfield using Winchester Cases. The problem I have run into is that all 400 bullets measure excatly .307". My gun has an 11" twist and a 22 3/8 lenght.
The questions are" Will I be able to shoot these .307" bullets in my 30-06 and will I be able to develop an accurade load out to 300 to 400 meters?
Your comments are much welcome.
I think this is pretty common. I shoot a 308 Win. and have often measured bullets to .307" Diam. I have never had a problem. If you are measuring for neck tension just use .307" as diameter not .308". That said, I encourage you to call the mfgr for an absolute answer. They may have an interesting reason for making their bullets .001" undersized that you could post here.

.001 really isn't undersized much. We are seeing just about that with many 7mm bullets too. As posted earlier make sure you have a bit of neck tension and go for it.

The bullet will obdurate to fill the bore. Remember your groove diameter is really .300 and your bore is .308 so the bullet is filling 7/8 of the rifling part of the bore before it slugs up. Even without obduration, the bullet has to displace the material moved by the lands. Either the bullet gets fractionally longer, or the material will fill in the grooves where it can; most likely both.

Talked to Hornady Technical support and they told me my bullets are .308". Thought they might be interested in finding why they had shipped .307 but they were only interested in telling me they were .308. What can I say. They are perfect"'

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.