Loading 230 Hybrids to Fit Magazine

cohunter14

I wanted to share my recent experience with the Berger 230 Hybrids for anyone out there looking into loading them. From a lot of what I read, most people were not loading these bullets to fit a standard length magazine, although there were a few out there who had done it. Berger actually recommends the 230 OTM's if you are going to load them to fit the magazine, but I figured I would give it a shot.

In my circumstance, I decided to start at 3.60 COAL in my 300 RUM just to see if I could find a load that would shoot at that length before extending it out longer. I knew I could always add a Wyatt's box if I needed to go longer, but I don't like spending the money unless it is necessary. I ran a ladder starting at 89.5 grains of Retumbo and ran it up to 94 grains, where I finally got a heavier bolt lift, but still no extractor marks. There were a couple very noticeable nodes, but what really struck me was how consistent the ES was!

I ended up settling on 90 grains of Retumbo at 2,900 fps, which grouped at exactly 1" at 300 yards, or .33 MOA. Needless to say, I am extremely happy with those results! I know if I extended the length or loaded these closer to the max, I could push them over 3,000 fps, but I cannot argue with .33 MOA, especially considering this is a non-custom rifle that has less than $1,000 into it.

Anyway, just wanted to share this for those considering loading these to magazine length.

Its interesting that you were able to go up to 94 grains of retumbo. I stopped at 89.4 grains but I'm seated way out and single feeding. I am running at 2940ish fps. Was that remington brass? May be since I closer to the lands my gun is building pressure sooner. I might have to try some seated mag length. I would also thank that it is a compressed load.

Yeah, I'm obviously not getting the speed that you are, especially at 89 grains, by loading them short like that. I think the loads started getting compressed at around 93 grains if I remember correctly.

At 3.600" in a SAAMI chamber, you would be jumping the bullet over half an inch.

I worked with four 30 cal rifles seating the 230 gr match hybrid target bullet to fit and feed in the existing magazines. Two were 300 RUMs: one a Proof Research custom the other a Mark V. Also seated a bullet deeply for a 300 WSM with a 2.8" magazine. My personal 300 RUM has a Wyatt's so it is seated a bit longer. All rifles shot so well I never tried a change in seating depths.

In my experiences with a variety of calibers the hybrid is very seating depth friendly as advertised.
Only tweaked the seating depth for the 338 bullet a bit.

(6mm 105 match target hybrid, 6mm 95 classic hunter, 7mm 168 classic hunter and 180 match target hybrid, 30 cal 168 classic hunter, 30 cal 230 match target hybrid, and 338 cal 300 gr match target hybrid)

I worked with four 30 cal rifles seating the 230 gr match hybrid target bullet to fit and feed in the existing magazines... All rifles shot so well I never tried a change in seating depths.

In my experiences with a variety of calibers the hybrid is very seating depth friendly as advertised.

So in your opinion, would the 215 gr Berger Hybrid be as seating depth friendly and accurate for a 300 WM SAMMI magazine, all things being considered and equal?

DocB

300 WSM 230 berger match target hybrid, RL-17, velocity 2720 fps. I gave all data to Don, the owner of the rifle. I didn't keep the information here. I will try to contact him to find out the charge weight. It might be a while.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.