Loaded for bear....

For the op Although I've never hunted grizzly I did run hounds on black bears for quite awhile. I'm of the opinion that you want a bullet that dumps it's energy kinda quick while still going deep. I didn't shoot any but my rifles killed most of the bears we ran that got shot. 300bee used a 200 nosler partition 200grn hot cor and 250 rn barnes. 06 ran rn 180 core locs. If you would like to try the barnes 250's I'd send them to you for the cost of shipping $7.50 for the flat rate box. I have some 200 hot cor's left I would throw in. Both were quite devastating at 300 mag velocities on blacks. I think the biggest with one of those was in the mid 300's. We got a 402# dressed with the 06. Again these are black bears but they are all jammed up on adrenaline and tend to cling to life much more than a typical shot at an unsuspecting target.
These are not for long range shooting but would work at mpbr in the case of the hot core and that 250 barnes really is a great close range bullet with some serious smack at 300 velocities.

For the op Although I've never hunted grizzly I did run hounds on black bears for quite awhile. I'm of the opinion that you want a bullet that dumps it's energy kinda quick while still going deep. I didn't shoot any but my rifles killed most of the bears we ran that got shot. 300bee used a 200 nosler partition 200grn hot cor and 250 rn barnes. 06 ran rn 180 core locs. If you would like to try the barnes 250's I'd send them to you for the cost of shipping $7.50 for the flat rate box. I have some 200 hot cor's left I would throw in. Both were quite devastating at 300 mag velocities on blacks. I think the biggest with one of those was in the mid 300's. We got a 402# dressed with the 06. Again these are black bears but they are all jammed up on adrenaline and tend to cling to life much more than a typical shot at an unsuspecting target.
These are not for long range shooting but would work at mpbr in the case of the hot core and that 250 barnes really is a great close range bullet with some serious smack at 300 velocities.

Hello Capt RB, If the OP doesn't want these bullets I will gladly pay the freight on them! The first bear that I shot was with Barnes 180gr TSX in my father's 30-06. It was not the best shot I have ever made on an animal, and we had to track it for about 100 years. But....that was my incompetence. Bullet entered just in front of the left hind leg and came out just behind the right shoulder, so the bullet didn't hit any vitals. I've never tried the heavier Barnes bullets, but would like to try them. I always hunt with Barnes 225 TSX bullets in the 35 Whelen; bang and DRT bullet has never failed.

Hello Capt RB, If the OP doesn't want these bullets I will gladly pay the freight on them! The first bear that I shot was with Barnes 180gr TSX in my father's 30-06. It was not the best shot I have ever made on an animal, and we had to track it for about 100 years. But....that was my incompetence. Bullet entered just in front of the left hind leg and came out just behind the right shoulder, so the bullet didn't hit any vitals. I've never tried the heavier Barnes bullets, but would like to try them. I always hunt with Barnes 225 TSX bullets in the 35 Whelen; bang and DRT bullet has never failed.
If I don't hear from him by the end of the day I'll shoot you a pm. If Bears are your game you will like these for short range shooting. The round nose bullets at treed distances are peerless imho. Although the most damage I ever saw was from a 243 shooting an 85sierria hp shot by a 14yo.

If I don't hear from him by the end of the day I'll shoot you a pm. If Bears are your game you will like these for short range shooting. The round nose bullets at treed distances are peerless imho. Although the most damage I ever saw was from a 243 shooting an 85sierria hp shot by a 14yo.
I am into black bear hunting in Maine. I'm still young enough that I can make memories with my son and we do enjoy bear hunting every season. Yes I believe that I was talking with a man on here who had mentioned that his son ( I think?) had shot a very nice bear at 300 yards with a .243 with Barnes bullets and it dropped right in its tracks. And...yes I am interested in the bullets if the original poster is not interested. I just bought some .35 caliber round nose, 250 grain, Sierra at a guy's shop, the box was opened, and the bullets had been around a while however they looked good enough to try in my .358 Winchester. I have about 20 rounds of 220 grain Silvertips that I pulled from some older ammo a lot of years ago (20-30 +), however really have never thought to reload them. Thanks for mentioning these bullets in your post, renewed a old interest.

I've only hunted for black bear, for distance any caliber will work above 6.5. For tracking or stalking, and I'm surprised I didn't read anyone mention a lever action. I have two on if that occurs. A 44 Rem Mag and a 356 Win.
For close range tree stand hunting, again I have two. A 338/06 Remington that weighs 7.5 lb scoped and a 350 Remington Mag. I want to poke a big hole throi

I've only hunted for black bear, for distance any caliber will work above 6.5. For tracking or stalking, and I'm surprised I didn't read anyone mention a lever action. I have two on if that occurs. A 44 Rem Mag and a 356 Win.
For close range tree stand hunting, again I have two. A 338/06 Remington that weighs 7.5 lb scoped and a 350 Remington Mag. I want to poke a big hole throi

For me I like the 338-06s and the 350 RemMag, both really good black bear cartridges. I think that the 356 Winchester is also a great round for bear hunting. The 338-06 ought to be capable of doing a great job for long range hunting. I hunt black bear with a 35 Whelen, 358 Winchester and a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. Have never shot a bear with the Guide Gun but wouldn't think twice about hunting with it if the occasion presented itself. I am not a fan of the .44 mag for bear hunting, only because I believe there are betting cartridges to get the job done. I suspect that I'll raise some eyebrows with this statement, however it's MHO!! For bear hunting I like a caliber that will leave a through and through hole so there will be a good blood trail if it is needed.

I am not a bear hunter and those with actual experience feel free to correct me if I am wrong, this is just mho. There is no way I would take a new rifle that I am not as familiar with,shoot as well,handles a little slower,etc,and doesn't have the same fits like a glove, natural pointing that you mentioned at the beginging!---just to have a little more power from the same diameter bullet!--- Just something to think about.

I am not a bear hunter and those with actual experience feel free to correct me if I am wrong, this is just mho. There is no way I would take a new rifle that I am not as familiar with,shoot as well,handles a little slower,etc,and doesn't have the same fits like a glove, natural pointing that you mentioned at the beginging!---just to have a little more power from the same diameter bullet!--- Just something to think about.
Good point. I think I'm like a lot of others on here, the excitement of an upcoming hunt brings on the urge and excitement of adding new gear to our arsenals, be it rifles, optics, backpacks etc...if I did buy a new rifle I would certainly put it through my tests to see if it passes and become very familiar with it before embarking on a hunt adventure.

Guy M killed the biggest interior Grizz any one has seen in a while with an 06 Last year. My old man killed 1/2 dozen while we were stationed up there, with an 06. (Late 50s - mid 60s) I reckon you'll be in good shape with your 300.

I had 10MM Glock sold it I wasn't overly impressed. I'd definitely be more comfortable with a wheel gun in the .44 for if the SHTF.

The "4-3-1" principle is a good rule of thumb. The caliber should at a minimum start with "4" (44cal), the bullet weight should start with at a "3" (300 gr.), and the muzzle velocity should start at least at "1" (1000fps). I use a Glock 20 (10mm) with 220gr Buffalo Bores for black bear hunting, and....feel confident with it. There's a big controversy about whether the 10mm is enough gun for grizzly? For me personally, if there's a question, "Is it enough gun," (rifle or handgun). I'd prefer to err on the safe side and have enough gun when something that can tear my butt up!! I have friends who found out the hard way that what they were carrying was not enough medicine for a grizzly; 300WinMag and now carrying 338WinMags. And a reply to sea2summit's post, about carrying a handgun due to it leaning against a tree 15 feet away, I totally agree with you, it takes two hands for some of us to do things!! :oops:;) :):) Like unzipping a jacket and stuff like that!!:D:D:rolleyes:

Good point. I think I'm like a lot of others on here, the excitement of an upcoming hunt brings on the urge and excitement of adding new gear to our arsenals, be it rifles, optics, backpacks etc...if I did buy a new rifle I would certainly put it through my tests to see if it passes and become very familiar with it before embarking on a hunt adventure.

Great idea about putting your equipment through through the tests. I've seen (for me personally and for others) a great hunt go really bad because someone didn't do their homework and know what their equipment would or wouldn't do. One year I ordered a cabin tent to take on a week long camping in a remote area in Maine. It was a really rainy week, I never tested the tent because I ordered the tent, it was back ordered and I didn't have a chance to set it up and season it. I had an older one that I ought to have taken, but.....took the newer one instead; it was a very miserable and wet week!! I know that there are a lot of opinions on here, and that's what I like about it because the opportunity for getting more than one person's perspective is present. I'd like to add that if I'm asking myself if I have enough gun, (for whatever I'm hunting) I prefer to err on the side of caution (a previous post for me) especially if something can chew my butt up and the hospital is an air-life away!!!

Great idea about putting your equipment through through the tests. I've seen (for me personally and for others) a great hunt go really bad because someone didn't do their homework and know what their equipment would or wouldn't do. One year I ordered a cabin tent to take on a week long camping in a remote area in Maine. It was a really rainy week, I never tested the tent because I ordered the tent, it was back ordered and I didn't have a chance to set it up and season it. I had an older one that I ought to have taken, but.....took the newer one instead; it was a very miserable and wet week!! I know that there are a lot of opinions on here, and that's what I like about it because the opportunity for getting more than one person's perspective is present. I'd like to add that if I'm asking myself if I have enough gun, (for whatever I'm hunting) I prefer to err on the side of caution (a previous post for me) especially if something can chew my butt up and the hospital is an air-life away!!!
All good comments. I've witnessed one grizz kill, by no means does that make me any fraction of a bear hunter. I will say tho that those suckers will soak up some lead. This was an 8' arctic grizzly buddy killed it with 338rum 3 shots of 210gr? Accubonds then one more for good measure. Definitely un-nerving going into the scrub looking for that thing. Yes it made it about 75 yards or so out of sight.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts