Loadbase or Exbal?

Here's a little help, friend.

33a6ulk.jpg

The only reason someone wouldn't use this software is because they didn't give it a try. The software and customer experience is Impeccable!

Jmason, that's exactly the way I feel about it!

I third that!!

I received my upgrade as well, instructions for upgrading where clear, concise and everything worked perfectly, as expected. The new TRT feature is great and matches the drop charts I had previously made.

I wonder how many shooters are plagued with a small amount of error in turret adjustment quantity and don't even realize it and are therefore compensating by tweaking FPS and BC. My scope is off by quite a bit so it was obvious but smaller errors might not be so easy to detect.

However my scope does track accurately so with this new feature in Loadbase, the fact that the scope is not adjusting as indicated becomes a none issue!!! And I am using more accurate information because I do not need to lie to the program about my load data which is what I had to do with Exbal. I am a happy shooter!!!

and now they can share data. I have yet to use that function, maybe Eaglet has.

Sorry, bigngreen, I'm getting slow here...

I have indeed used it, it was on of the first things I used because I get a kick
out of creating my loads drop charts on the PC and by the click of a button have them on my PDA. It's just awesome. Of course, it goes both ways. You
can transfer from PC to PDA and From PDA to PC. Saves a lot of work!!!

Hi Eaglet,

I didn't know I could modify the zero point on the reticle tab feature to a reticle zero other than the default reticle display matched to the load data and zero range input into the Ballistics module - Data tab. Is that possible? I ask this because of your prior post where you state "Notice that for the two examples give above, they are zeroed at 100 yards in the middle but you can change that to have more range available; also, notice that the one for the left is in MIL scale and the one on the right is in IPHY scale." So I'm wondering if it's possible to play with the reticle tool feature to see where the reticle hash marks range out without changing the zero range data. I may have misunderstood your comment.

Agree that the database sychronization feature is the cat's meow.

Besides offering first rate ballistics software (LoadBase), I like doing business with nice people, and every contact I've had with Patagonia confirms them to be first rate people as well.

Last edited:
Hi Eaglet,

I didn't know I could modify the zero point on the reticle tab feature to a reticle zero other than the default reticle display matched to the load data and zero range input into the Ballistics module - Data tab. Is that possible? I ask this because of your prior post where you state "Notice that for the two examples give above, they are zeroed at 100 yards in the middle but you can change that to have more range available; also, notice that the one for the left is in MIL scale and the one on the right is in IPHY scale." So I'm wondering if it's possible to play with the reticle tool feature to see where the reticle hash marks range out without changing the zero range data. I may have misunderstood your comment.

Agree that the database sychronization feature is the cat's meow.

Besides offering first rate ballistics software (LoadBase), I like doing business with nice people, and every contact I've had with Patagonia confirms them to be first rate people as well.

I like you caught that! :)

You did not misunderstand what I said, but you can not play with the reticle tool and you do have to change the zero. It can be done in a blink of an eye once you know what to look for.

You probably already know how to do this changing the zero, but if you haven't done it yet, this is how I go about it... In any event it'll help some one else.

I'll use my NightForce NP-R2 in this example. You know this reticle has from
the center, 5 lines for 10 moa upwards adjustment and 10 lines for 20 moa downwards adjustment. Let's say you want the topmost line to zero at 100
yards...

(REST OF POST DELETED DUE TO CHANGES BEING MADE TO IT)
I apologize for any inconvinience... Sorry....

CONTINUING...

Alright, lets get it right now.

So we want to make the top most line (10 MOA from center) to be zero at 100 yards.

Normally, in LoadBase 3.0 my set up for 100 yards looks like this:

5u2q6r.jpg

which we are telling LB3.0 that at 100 yards the impact point is dead on because "zero Height" is = to 0.

Let's change the "Zero Height to 10.5" because 1 MOA = 1.047", then
10 MOA = 10.47". LB3.0 will only let you enter one decimal so we will
enter 10.5---

29blt07.jpg

Now we are telling LB3.0 that at 100 yards the impact point is 10.5" high,
which would be 10 moa high, which would match the top most line of the
reticle we are using. We are telling the program that our top most line is
dead on at 100 yards. (sorry for repeating my self, just making sure I'm
explaining it good)

When I click on the "Field Charts" tab in LB, we get this:

1y4o7c.jpg

We know that the top most line is for 100 yards, the next line down is for 280 yards and so forth.

By looking at the drop chart you can find any distance you want for the rest of
the reticle lines including the "in between lines".

The normal "zero height = 0" at 100 yards chart would look like this:

bfhsat.jpg

Notice that for this chart it goes:

100 yards which is our zero, 280, 385, 480, 570, 655

The First chart shows:

100 yards(top most line), 280, 385, 485, 570, 655... all the way to 1160 yards.

Nice, from 100 yards to 1160 yards without making adjustments. Now we don't have to worry about the turret being a bit off. :D

By looking at the chart having the "zero height = 10.5", the last three lines on
the bottom which from center of reticle would be 16, 18 and 20 MOA, they
would be good for distances of 1220, 1280, and 1335 yards respectively.

Last edited:
I third that!!

I received my upgrade as well, instructions for upgrading where clear, concise and everything worked perfectly, as expected. The new TRT feature is great and matches the drop charts I had previously made.

I wonder how many shooters are plagued with a small amount of error in turret adjustment quantity and don't even realize it and are therefore compensating by tweaking FPS and BC. My scope is off by quite a bit so it was obvious but smaller errors might not be so easy to detect.

However my scope does track accurately so with this new feature in Loadbase, the fact that the scope is not adjusting as indicated becomes a none issue!!! And I am using more accurate information because I do not need to lie to the program about my load data which is what I had to do with Exbal. I am a happy shooter!!!

Good post TyIdaho, thanks for sharing.

Thanks Eaglet. That explanation on the modifications to the zero point was helpful. I see that it's easier than I imagined to tinker with the reticle feature.

:) I have to say that customer support with LB 3.0 is exceptional. I found a small bug in the printing feature and it was fixed in UNDER A DAY. Later I was bitching and moaning about something (because I didn't understand :D ) and Gus took the time to explain it to me in detail. He replied, on a holiday, in a few hours, maybe less.

I am glad that I bought an exterior ballistics program. I'm still learning to use it but as I learn to use it I am learning about ballistics. Win / Win.

I don't have any experience with ExBal.

Man... I wish I had read the post that Eaglet put up last a lot sooner. That's killer!

Mike6158,

I'm glad you like the product. Enjoy it! There are many of us that can help and to the best of my knowledge they're all good willing folks.

You're right about costumer service, I have also taken good advantage of it.

Good Shooting!

I have indeed used it, it was one of the first things I used because I get a kick
out of creating my loads drop charts on the PC and by the click of a button have them on my PDA. It's just awesome. Of course, it goes both ways. You
can transfer from PC to PDA and From PDA to PC. Saves a lot of work!!!

I'm really appreciating the LoadBase 3.0 database synchronization feature also. Very nice to work up and finalize Tracts in the Ballistics module and then know the same Tracts exist on my PPC following a simple database synchronization.

It's cold up here now and I'm playing with the MV versus temperature feature. I set the rifles and shells outside to cool down to ambient temps, shoot over the chrono a couple times with each rifle load, and plot another data point. The LoadBase software does a nice job of modeling the data. Then with that feature clicked ON, no more concerns about my MVs at variable temperatures. The software will automatically adjust MV to closely match the temperature entered into 'environmental conditions' when and where I prepare to take the shot.

Neat stuff. Great ballistics program. Great product support.

I'm really appreciating the LoadBase 3.0 database synchronization feature also. Very nice to work up and finalize Tracts in the Ballistics module and then know the same Tracts exist on my PPC following a simple database synchronization.

It's cold up here now and I'm playing with the MV versus temperature feature. I set the rifles and shells outside to cool down to ambient temps, shoot over the chrono a couple times with each rifle load, and plot another data point. The LoadBase software does a nice job of modeling the data. Then with that feature clicked ON, no more concerns about my MVs at variable temperatures. The software will automatically adjust MV to closely match the temperature entered into 'environmental conditions' when and where I prepare to take the shot.

Neat stuff. Great ballistics program. Great product support.

That's the way to do it! That is neat. The only thing I did not like was the
cold part... Gives me the chills...

Thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.