Loadbase 3.0 and Exbal

nice shooting, particularly with mirage squiggling the target all around. Hard to hit a dancing bullseye... :)
interesting and educational thread guys. Thanks for sharing your findings and techniques. There's more than one way to skin a cat, but most people find their favorite method(s). And there's nothing wrong with that. With as much shooting as you guys are doing, whichever method you end up using has been thoroughly field-proofed - resulting in a technique that's just about 'bullet-proof'.

+1 +1 +1

The reason why you are out past 1000yrds, is because your BC is to high for the speed past 1000yrds.
Unfortunately the Exbal is using bc and speed to match your drop.

So just go and imput multiple BC values past 1000yrd and you will be fine.

That's perty much what I was thinking. I have heard from several Exbal users that after about a 1000yrd the correction gets out of wack, I think this is what some guys run up against and figure that Exbal sucks but you just need to give it what it needs.
Loadbase does not seem to need to use multiple BC's to give a good correction, I think Gus out lined this in his last Article. So in Loadbase it seems that we might have a better way to deal with G1 BC's and G7 BC's.

Broz, if you read this. Are you using multiple BC's for the Bergers, I don't remember you saying anything about that.

SHRTSHTR, excellent shooting!!! I have given up on cronies being dead on for actual velocity, I will eventually get a crony set up so I can shoot at multiple ranges like Phorwath to get true BC and DC numbers! I would tweek the velocity before I tweeking an accurate BC, I do tweek some manufactures BC's but Berger I leave alone or anything Litz has validated, not that his work is perfect but it's dang good so far.
Both programs take different things to dial in, it does take a bunch of patience. I did learn a thing the other night with LB, you can input the range with the key board and tap any other dark blue field and it updates the correction, no clicking the arrow and changing the increments it moves in.
I really wish Exbal had the wind speed it is correcting for on the solution screen, I was having problems the other night trying to stay with a condition when I couldn't just look down and see what I was correcting for.

I did learn a thing the other night with LB, you can input the range with the key board and tap any other dark blue field and it updates the correction, no clicking the arrow and changing the increments it moves in.

Nice tip. I'll have to try that. I'd type in a range and then thought I had to arrow down or up to yield dope. Tap the dark blue field! That's the first thing I'll try the next time I fire up my Dell Axim X51V

You can also just hit the Enter key in the keyboard and will validate the calculations.
A thing to remember is if you highlight the distance value, and using the keyboard you enter 876 it does not matter what you do it will never recalculate and again the thing to remember is the you need to be in increments of 5 yards. If you enter 875 then it will recalculate by hitting the Enter key on the keyboard before you close it.

Lots of good info here. I need to get out and shoot at distance in the next day or so. I was having a hard time getting my 300 yard zero last time out. My barrel was clean and had horrible concentricity on about 30% of my loads.

After reviewing my 300 yard zero, my last shot was a 1.250 high. It took my rifle several rounds to settle in. I could not figure out why my loaded rounds had up to .004+ concentricity. Well, it seems that my necks are getting dented as I eject the case. I made a expander and uniformed my cases last night and all is good. I am getting no more than a .001 runout on the case necks now. Most are less than .0005

I have read here that using G7's with LB, people are getting exact dialups at distance. I need to shoot 1-2 more times before my hunt to get conformation.

I also plan on using Exbal as well as LB during my testing. I will report what I find on my next outing.

You can also just hit the Enter key in the keyboard and will validate the calculations.
A thing to remember is if you highlight the distance value, and using the keyboard you enter 876 it does not matter what you do it will never recalculate and again the thing to remember is the you need to be in increments of 5 yards. If you enter 875 then it will recalculate by hitting the Enter key on the keyboard before you close it.

Snap! I didn't try the enter button and I've just been shooting at ranges that come out right! It's good to find these little things that make the programs faster.

I'm getting Exbal to work fairly and getting to know when to hit what buttons to cruise through it. My brain locks up still when I have to make a wind change, I try to use the wrong tab.

After hunting season I'll finish cooking my barrel and try to figure out the multiple BC's but for now Exbal is GTG to 1030 which is my limit for antelope so I don't really need to work on the longer ranges, I need to save what's left to practice the real killer, wind dope.
Both programs are dialed in for me inside my effective range, they have to use different data in the velocity department but the corrections are on to 1030yrds, after that I need to step up to a different rifle to play beyond the 1000yrd mark and get relevant data.

bigngreen,

Sounds like you are good to go either way with LB or Exbal. Now all you have to do is find an animal that will give you that longrange shot .gun)

Hopefully I can shoot one more time before I leave on my bear hunt this weekend.

Good luck to you on your hunt and look forward to hearing about your results.

bigngreen,

Sounds like you are good to go either way with LB or Exbal. Now all you have to do is find an animal that will give you that longrange shot .gun)

Hopefully I can shoot one more time before I leave on my bear hunt this weekend.

Good luck to you on your hunt and look forward to hearing about your results.

Good luck to you on the bear! I just realized that MT fall bear opens today, I may have to start packing the LRH rig bow hunting!! I'm feeling good about what both Loadbase and Exbal are giving me. About three weeks and we're going to put the hurt on some antelope and LR is the name of the game :D

Dialed in another rifle to night with Exbal and it went well, my buddy is stoked! We dialed in his 22-250 shooting 60gr Bergers for Antelope season! First time we walked this gun out to see what it would do. Savage Model 12 and it did as expected out to 735yrd, got it sighted in did a validation and got the scope all dialed up and he started spanking the 600yrd gong and we took it up to 735 and nailed it. He's hooked :D Goats will die gun)I only shot twice, nailed it at 590 cold bore then waited for an hour and was 6in high at 1030yrds cold bore windage was perfect, really starting to nail the wind better!

I only shot twice, nailed it at 590 cold bore then waited for an hour and was 6in high at 1030yrds cold bore windage was perfect, really starting to nail the wind better!

Reading the wind will seperate most shooters. No substitute for just going out and shooting. Trigger time rules!

Congrats! Keep up the great work. Best of luck this season.

Jeff gun)gun)

Reading the wind will seperate most shooters. No substitute for just going out and shooting. Trigger time rules!

Congrats! Keep up the great work. Best of luck this season.

Jeff gun)gun)

Getting the Kestrel and chucking the Caldwell in a draw made a huge difference on my windage, I've really tightened up my wind calls now that I know what the actual value is and what range it's changing in!

Good hunting to you guys to Broz!!!

Waiting for the UPDATE bigngreen?

Sounds like Exbal is working well, but you prefer LoadBase 3.0 at extended ranges?

Hope your hunting season(s) are going well, and you're able to put both software programs to solid, impacting use.

I read the entire thread, very interesting....Thank you all.

Does anyone have the new PC version of NF (Exbal)??

I read alot about trajectory validation in this thread; problem is, on my new PC version (9.5 I believe) It simply doesn't work! I've used the same feature on an older PDA version and it changed the velocity as it should have. However, when I type the same exact data into the new PC version it always says "calculations did not converge".......anyone else having this issue?

Anyone heard of a patch from NF or Exbal that will solve the problem?

I click "trajectory validation" option
I enter a distance and hit tab
I enter an amount under sight adj used in moa (same amount the program gives for comeup)
I enter a number under amount of measured error (4 as an example) and click calculate.

Always get the same popup that says "calculations did not converge" no matter what number or distance I input.
Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.