load work-up suggestions for .223

trgtsnpr

gun winchester 70

barrel 24" 1-12 twist

looking for load work-up starting point on powder and bullets

tried 8208xbr,h322,varget 52-55gr bullets can't get any good grouping at 100-300 yds
thank any help will be great appreciated bill

A friend of mine steered me to H4895 with a 55 gr bullet and I found a nice load using the Sierra 55 gr HPBT Gameking.

Have you been using "good" bullets? One thing I've noticed is some cheaper bullets just don't group as well.

I had good results in my model 70 with imr 4320 and Sierra 55 grain soft points,shot thousands of them at prairie dogs with good results,usually grouped under 1/2 inch at 100 yards

I've been using Benchmark with 53gr VMax. Great accuracy. For 55 and lighter IMO Benchmark can't be beat.

Flat base Sierra 55gr Spitzer over 23.5 grains of H322 and a CCI or Federal small rifle match primer. There is a reason Bench Rest types use flat base bullets - they are consistently accurate. This is the go to load I use. With a 1 -12 twist 60 grain bullets are your upper limit. Try some Nosler and Hornaday 55gr FBSP also. Speer #1032 55gr HPFB TNT bullets have the build of a match bullet and the expansion of a varmint bullet. They are my next test in 223/556. Varget and Benchrest are other powders I want to try because everyone else has such good success with them. I have stuck with H322 because more matches have been won with it than all other powders combined.
good Luck!
KB

gun winchester 70

barrel 24" 1-12 twist

looking for load work-up starting point on powder and bullets

tried 8208xbr,h322,varget 52-55gr bullets can't get any good grouping at 100-300 yds
thank any help will be great appreciated bill

at one time I had a Mod. 70 HV in .223. Your already way ahead of mine with sub two inch groups! Mine was a rock solid 3" rifle<g>! Somebody did me a favor and stole it.

It would not shoot 50, 52, or 55 grain bullets with most powders, and maybe 2015BR was the best (one of the old lots). The bore was as rough as a corn cob, and perhaps fire lapping was the last resort. Also recommend a better trigger, and a speed lock kit. Winchester has a very slow lock time, and their trigger sucks. Anyway, I would at least try lapping the first three or four inches of the bore after the throat.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.