Load work up bullet spacing

So are you saying I have a problem if my clean barrel, cold bore shot is not up with the following shots at my POA? My first shot on a clean, cold barrel always drops 3" but is good left to right or vise versa. Once its dirty its not a problem.

Tank

Nope, I'm assuming the barrel has been fouled. I always load some light loads just for this purpose and put 3-4 through the tube before shooting the "real" load :)

So your hunting with a dirty gun too? :D

Tank

A fouled gun... yup... don't really see another way to do it. Most barrels, especially factory barrels need a couple of foulers to settle in and mine are no exception. Ideally, just before the season opens, I will clean the bore, take it to the range, put about 3-4 foulers through it, zero @ 200, then a few more down range to confirm drops, then leave it alone for the season.

Do you hunt with a clean unfouled barrel?

Do you hunt with a clean unfouled barrel?

I use to be able too with my factory Savage. With my custom I have to have it fouled. So I just have to remember to foul it after cleaning. A retired ex-LEO sniper told me they would clean there rifles and fire one shot after cleaning. Then it went in to the locker that way until it was needed for service or training.

Tank

I use to be able too with my factory Savage. With my custom I have to have it fouled. So I just have to remember to foul it after cleaning. A retired ex-LEO sniper told me they would clean there rifles and fire one shot after cleaning. Then it went in to the locker that way until it was needed for service or training.

Tank

It would be great to have a barrel that you could cold shoot to zero after cleaning. I think those are rare, and over time as their throat wears that probably changes. It usually takes 2-3 for mine to settle in and I'll usually give it an extra. That adds up to a lot of fouling shots over the life of a barrel.

It would be great to have a barrel that you could cold shoot to zero after cleaning. I think those are rare, and over time as their throat wears that probably changes. It usually takes 2-3 for mine to settle in and I'll usually give it an extra. That adds up to a lot of fouling shots over the life of a barrel.

How are Aaron Davidson and his brother getting accurate cold, clean bore shots. I was watching one of their how too segments on their new long range show. They said they left a light coat of oil in the barrel. They would shoot, and sure enough the first shot would land right in with the others that followed. I've tried dry and wet barrel and it just doesn't matter. What are your thoughts?

Tank

How are Aaron Davidson and his brother getting accurate cold, clean bore shots. I was watching one of their how too segments on their new long range show. They said they left a light coat of oil in the barrel. They would shoot, and sure enough the first shot would land right in with the others that followed. I've tried dry and wet barrel and it just doesn't matter. What are your thoughts?

Tank

I could only speculate. Every barrel is different. I would have to see their equipement and process to comment. All I know is that it doesn't work in my barrels and I hear and read the same from a lot of other guys. That being said, one of our members recently switched from Bore Tech Eliminator to Bore Tech CU+2 cleaning solvent and he can get an accurate clean bore shot after cleaning with CU+2 and dry patching it out, but that's in a custom barrel.

As far as leaving anything at all in my bore when I shoot, I have seen some big time overpressure from that on more than one occasion. I dry patch my bore out real good before i shoot through it.

As far as leaving anything at all in my bore when I shoot, I have seen some big time overpressure from that on more than one occasion. I dry patch my bore out real good before i shoot through it.

I agree. I have seen higher pressure in the first shot with oil in it, compared to dry. I have read a lot of theory on whether to dry patch out, or leave it wet. Some feel it cleans easier if it is left wet. Some feel it isn't necessary. I guess it is whatever the shooter feels comfortable with. Thanks for the conversation.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts