load tunjng advise needed

fisherman983

doing load development and printed a .191 group for 4 rounds with fire formed brass.
put load over chrono and ES was 55 fps.. any tips on okay I should try?

Norma brass, fire formed. shoulders bumped .002. .003 neck tension
264 win mag
140 vld hunting
74 gr R33

Were all shots random or was just one way out? I might try less tension. If you get over.002 you are just using the bullet for a mandrel. The brass can't hold .003 tension without yielding.
there were a couple that were way out... I'd have to look at the shot archive again to be 100% sure

And the issue is???

Still when anyone sites .191 groups I would like to see it.

Im not a religious person so I need to see it to believe it 😁

Attachments

• 20200419_055322.jpg
    20200419_055322.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 128
So there could be several things going on. You could be right on the knife edge of a good node.
Optical chronos are notorious for being finicky. What is your brass prep like? Consistency is the name of the game. Personally I would keep looking if the ES don't come down without much more effort. Its not a balanced load if everything don't come together. ES and Accuracy. Don't get distracted by a great 100 yd group. It is just teasing you. That load will not preform well at distance.

So there could be several things going on. You could be right on the knife edge of a good node.
Optical chronos are notorious for being finicky. What is your brass prep like? Consistency is the name of the game. Personally I would keep looking if the ES don't come down without much more effort. Its not a balanced load if everything don't come together. ES and Accuracy. Don't get distracted by a great 100 yd group. It is just teasing you. That load will not preform well at distance.

Redding bushing dies, micrometer seater.
nothing too awfully special.
I've never had issues with great groups throwing horrible es.. I know it happens, but I've been lucky to never have it happen until now.

What kind of chronograph do you use?

If it's the older style that you shoot through - I never had reliable numbers with them. Once I switched to magnetospeed I could trust the data.

Run that load out to 600+ if you don't see any vertical stringing I would run it!

Tagging....
I recently came to two loads at 18es and 7sd...shot okay groups at 100...
But a load with 50es and 15sd ahot a tight group and shot 1.91"V x 4.1H at 400yards.....horizontal was/is me getting used to the new stock.....
Perplexing....

doing load development and printed a .191 group for 4 rounds with fire formed brass.
put load over chrono and ES was 55 fps.. any tips on okay I should try?

Norma brass, fire formed. shoulders bumped .002. .003 neck tension
264 win mag
140 vld hunting
74 gr R33
What does the surface of the inside of the case necks look like ? This might be a bit OCD, but I recently came across an article on polishing the inside of case necks. Adds to uniformity in neck tension. I haven't shot the rounds I did this with as yet, so I can't give any results.
The inside of the necks appeared to have random marks probably from the manufacturing process.
I used a nylon bore brush wrapped with fine synthetic "steel" wool chucked into a cordless drill.I did this during the process of preparing new brass, ( primer pockets, flash hole etc ), One pass in and out the length of the brush. That changed the appearance of the inside necks. Bullet seating was noticeably smoother.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.