Load Testing Distance

ktmhk53

Greetings,
I am about to begin testing several new match loads in my .50 caliber Robar RC50-F. My current shooting space is limited to only 400 yards. The question is: Should I test at 400 yards, or closer?
I know that (generally) you should test at the distance you will normally shoot, but as I plan to eventually shoot at much further distances I'm unsure where to test at now. Is it better to test at 100 yards, as this would minimize shooter induced errors (better group size), OR should I test at 400 yards because the bullet will not stabilize/sleep at 100 yards?

Thanks for your suggestions.

ktmhk53

I have not tried it, but I know a guy that punches paper testing loads at various distances at the same time, shoots through multiple targets at once, just paper no backer though. He says it does not upset the bullet path and just prints a larger pattern down range. He's shown me a few pictures and I would have thought they would have been all over the second target after going through the first.

I normally try to test most of my loads at 300 yards or more.

Load testing @ 100yds is a good way to minimize bullet dispersion caused by wind. However, some bullets don't sem to stabilize well at that short of a distance.

If the wind is favorable I'd be inclined to shoot those big bullets at the 400yd range. If the wind was kicking up or switching back and forth than I'd shorten the distance.

For what its worth, I do most of my load developement @ 200yds; but then again I don't shoot a 50 cal either.
grin.gif

VH

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.