Load test wait times.

I have dunked a barrel in a tall bucket of water when fire forming brass. I did it when the barrel got hot enough that I didn't want to touch it. That barrel shoots in the 0.2s. Just make sure you clean all the water out of the bore before shooting or bad things can happen.
The gunsmith that built my rifle suggested this very thing. He said to use a 5 gallon bucket of water and put the barrel into it when it gets hot.

Shooting my Weatherby Ultra-light in 270 Win, with a thin 24-inch barrel, or ,my Weatherby Mark V in 270 Weatherby Mag , with the 26 inch barrel, I place the next round,. by hand ,into the receiver at right about 1 Min. and 45 seconds, then close the bolt and sight on the target , I am usually between 2min and 15 second to 2 min and 20 seconds by the time I actually fire. If I'm speaking to a fellow shooter, it can easily go over 3 Min. I will not rush and shoot from a hot barrel. Lately , I also shoot less rounds at each range session. Where 25 to 30 rounds used to be very common for me, it's now 15 to 20 rounds per session during load development. I'm retired and I can take as long as I want to at the bench.

Spend $14 and get yourself a device that will help you cook your backstraps to perfect medium rare and let you know how hot your rifle barrel is : Amazon product ASIN B07XXSYLL8
The infrared thermostat guns work well, too, but are useless for backstraps.

My primary concern is cold bore first shot and 2nd and 3rd shot ... just hunting.

But I like to shoot and so I would take temp readings and try to understand where my rifle's POI changes "significantly enough" so I have that context to know what to expect. "Significantly enough" is yet one more thing that is going to vary from one shooter to another.

Good question-Too hot to touch, or wait certain amount of time between each shot???? Or certain temp to keep things constant???
If the exterior temperature of a barrel gets "too hot to touch", can you imagine the internal temperature of the throat?

My buddy shoots his guns until they are HOT. A quick look through the Teslong showed just how detrimental that it was. Some people just don't care. ??

Here's what I do. I do a ladder test with one shot of each powder charge to see where the nodes are, then I set up as many targets as needed, then shoot one shot at each one with each powder charge around that node. Then go back and do that again until I have 3-5 shot groups. i.e. shoot one shot at 45 grains at one target, the next shot is at a different target at a different powder charge, etc. I put my hand on the barrel right in front of the scope and when I can't comfortably rest my hand on the barrel I let it cool vertically in a gun rack, bolt open.

Doing the ladder test with one shot per powder charge shows me where the nodes are and that is what I concentrate on shooting multiple shots around. I want to find 3 different powder charges that shoot relatively the same POI, then pick the powder charge in the middle. That allows for variance in barrel temp, baro, etc. and still have the POI be close to the same. If you have one powder charge that shoots a bug hole and the next powder charge open up 3x-4x the size, then any small variance in ambient or barrel condition can make the group go to hell.

If the exterior temperature of a barrel gets "too hot to touch", can you imagine the internal temperature of the throat?

My buddy shoots his guns until they are HOT. A quick look through the Teslong showed just how detrimental that it was. Some people just don't care. ??

There are lots of declassified reports for the US Military that will give you a good idea of that difference.
Here is one: https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/AD1066957.pdf

I use an infrared thermometer in the summer. Not often in the winter. Usually I keep the temperature under 120 when it's 90 or above outside. The absolute barrel temperature is not the major issue for a free floated barrel its the differential temperature between the inner and outer temperature and the upper and lower barrel temperature differential. The thinner the barrel the more the issue.

A semi automatic with a hot barrel is a different issue.

Could you provide the link for the barrel temperature stickers?

I'm friends with Google. (LOL)

Here's what they want for 2 stickers.

PRODUCTSUBTOTAL
Barrel Temperature Gauge × 2$10.00
Subtotal$10.00
Shipping
  • UPS Ground: $17.47
Convenience Fee$1.50
Total$29.07

Last edited:
I'm friends with Google. (LOL)

Here's what they want for 2 stickers.

PRODUCTSUBTOTAL
Barrel Temperature Gauge × 2$10.00
Subtotal$10.00
Shipping
  • UPS Ground: $17.47
Convenience Fee$1.50
Total$29.07
Thanks for providing the info. Only problem I see is $17 for shipping?? This item looks like it will fit in a padded envelope. Wonder why the shipping is so high, then they add a convenience fee ??

Last edited: